What do you take when walking?

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
The thread “Walking” elsewhere on here made me think about what I take with me when I'm out for a walk.

I'm thinking of day walks on hills, moorland and mountains rather than around the local park, though I take some of the same stuff with me wherever I go.

Along with the appropriate clothing, food and water I have

the relevant map, usually an OS one but I have the odd Harvey's map. Depending on the area I sometimes take a print off in more detail of the OS map from Bing maps,
compass,
small first aid kit,
headtorch,
whistle,
phone with plenty of charge and if I remember I set it in airplane mode. The phone has OS Locate so I can find my grid ref if necessary.
bum map,
walking pole,
a storm shelter,
camera.

If the route is well off the beaten track I also mark the route I'm taking on a copy (either digital or paper) of the walk and leave it with or send it to Mrs Tringa.

Just wondered what others do.

Dave

The thread “Walking” elsewhere on here made me think about what I take with me when I'm out for a walk.

I'm thinking of day walks on hills, moorland and mountains rather than around the local park, though I take some of the same stuff with me wherever I go.

Along with the appropriate clothing, food and water I have

the relevant map, usually an OS one but I have the odd Harvey's map. Depending on the area I sometimes take a print off in more detail of the OS map from Bing maps,
compass,
small first aid kit,
headtorch,
whistle,
phone with plenty of charge and if I remember I set it in airplane mode. The phone has OS Locate so I can find my grid ref if necessary.
bum map,
walking pole,
a storm shelter,
camera.

If the route is well off the beaten track I also mark the route I'm taking on a copy (either digital or paper) of the walk and leave it with or send it to Mrs Tringa.

Just wondered what others do.

Dave

Pretty much the same as you if going 'proper' walking somewhere like the Brecon's, Quantocks etc

A little bit less if more of a local woodland, hill type walk.

Similar to you but I do take a monocular and a small bird book.
I also take a garmin gps, although the phone is handy as it has a larger screen with the gps I can preplan routes, it is waterproof and if the batteries are low you can just put new ones in. Not needed on the walk but afterwards I can download the track from the gps to OpenStreetMap and add any footpaths that are missing etc.

as above plus:
waterproofs (top and trousers)
water
food snack

How long have you got?
Map, compass both in waterproof map case
Kag (I splashed out on a Paramo because I hate the stiffer Goretex ones)
Fleece, sweatshirt or both either worn over other layers or in the rucksack. Always one more layer than I think I've going to need.
I have more pairs of gloves in my rucksack than you can shake a stick at. I keep losing them, buying more and finding the ones I've lost.
Woolly hat in addition to the baseball cap I usually wear.
Scarf, emergency socks, space blankets (2), spare laces - there may be other stuff lurking in that particular little bag.
First aid kit, torch, whistle. In winter I usually take a headtorch too as I'm sometimes walking the last mile or so off the moor in the dark
Waterproof trousers (never wear them. I hate the things. I wear knee length gaiters)
Stove, gas cylinder, kettle, matches, though in winter I take a flask as I don't want to stop long enough to brew tea. Tea bags, milk (real in a flask. Can't get dried milk), mug, spoon
Cold drinks - one or two depending on time of year. Water bottle (empty) for collecting river water for tea
Camera + 18-135mm lens
Binoculars
Plimsolls to protect my feet while wading rivers too deep for gaiters and a flannel to dry my feet afterwards
Purse with the bare minimum in it
2 phones - one smart one non smart that gets a signal where the smartphone won't. Powerbank with adaptors for both phones
Lunch plus a brunch bar or two
Walking pole carried on my rucksack. My hands and wrists are a bit knackered so I only use the pole when I have to, generally to aid river crossings and poke mires
There may be more but I can't think of it
For a day out in 'tame' places like the Quantocks I use a smaller rucksack and cut the load considerably. The big rucksack (45+8) weighs about 28lb fully loaded. I weigh 110 lb..........
I don't give anyone a route because sometimes I make it up as I go along, sometimes I have a route but get sidetracked, and sometimes a uncrossable river or mire will force me to change it. I text my partner the grid ref and name of where I've left the Land Rover when I get there, and send another text when I get back there. Most places I can get a text out on the old Nokia but sometimes i have to be up the hill to get a signal.
When I started walking Dartmoor on my own, aged 17, there were no mobile phones or gps. If you had a problem it was down to you to sort it out. I've grown up with that mindset so I see what I do as quite safe because I risk assess everything before I do it.

The big rucksack (45+8) weighs about 28lb fully loaded. I weigh 110 lb..........

Wow. I'm just packing for a 100 mile run. I feel bad because my start pack weight (including 2l of water) is a little under 4 kilos......

Of course, I'll have access to 2 drop bags, a finish bag and 15 aid stations on the way :D

Actually, one thing I do carry very often is a pair of trauma shears. If I need to cut something (plasters, k-tape, food packet, paracord etc) then I find scissors far better than a knife.

Also unlike lots of knives, I understand it's absolutely fine to carry a pair of blunt ended scissors in public :)

I've just got a Garmin GPS. I'll waypoint the car when I arrive and then I've also got the breadcrumbs on the GPS to backtrack on if I get lost. This is backup to a map and compass.

Other stuff is pretty much already mentioned - food, Haribos :p, plenty of drink, torch, small first aid kit, Smidge (in summer), etc. I should buy a whistle though.

Actually, one thing I do carry very often is a pair of trauma shears. If I need to cut something (plasters, k-tape, food packet, paracord etc) then I find scissors far better than a knife.

Also unlike lots of knives, I understand it's absolutely fine to carry a pair of blunt ended scissors in public :)
I am a bit old fashioned, I always carry a Swiss Army knife, you never know when you might find a boy scout with a stone in his hoof!

Forgot that for when I'm in Scotland. Fortunately in spite of us usually managing to bring a few a few home with us when we go there (didn't get to go this year :crying:) the biting midge hasn't colonised the south west yet and I sincerely hope it never does. Horrible things!

I think they are enough to put me off going!

The last few hikes

Nordisk lightweight tent
Rab sleeping bag
Thermarest sleeping pad
inflatable pillow
Jetboil stove and gas
waterproof stuff (trousers, jacket, gaiters)
Rab microlight down jacket
gloves and warm hat
food and coffee (maybe a beer)
Hipflask with a drop,of cognac
Spork and collapsible cup
headlight and small tent light.
first aid kit
smidge and tick removal card
Map and compass
phone with OS maps
powerbank if a long hike
trowel and loo roll
wipes and lightweight micro towel
toothbrush and toothpaste
spare t-shirt and socks
sitting pad
Sawyer water filter and Cnoc water bladder for collecting water en route.
1L water bottle full
Nikon Z6
Nikon 24-70 F4 z
Zeiss 18mm distagon F3.5 or Nikon 70-300mm VR
FTZ
Lens wipes etc.
(until recently Fuji XT2 and a couple of lenses until I changed it for the Nikon)
Tripod
walking poles
Spare spine and knees

Mrs B just bought me an aeropress coffee maker that I’m going to try and squeeze in next time.

It weighs quite a bit but I find that once you find a pace it’s not too bad

Last edited:
The last few hikes

Nordisk lightweight tent
Rab sleeping bag
Thermarest sleeping pad
inflatable pillow
Jetboil stove and gas
waterproof stuff (trousers, jacket, gaiters)
Rab microlight down jacket
gloves and warm hat
food and coffee (maybe a beer)
Hipflask with a drop,of cognac
Spork and collapsible cup
headlight and small tent light.
first aid kit
smidge and tick removal card
Map and compass
phone with OS maps
powerbank if a long hike
trowel and loo roll
wipes and lightweight micro towel
toothbrush and toothpaste
spare t-shirt and socks
sitting pad
Sawyer water filter and Cnoc water bladder for collecting water en route.
1L water bottle full
Nikon Z6
Nikon 24-70 F4 z
Zeiss 18mm distagon F3.5 or Nikon 70-300mm VR
FTZ
Lens wipes etc.
(until recently Fuji XT2 and a couple of lenses until I changed it for the Nikon)
Tripod
walking poles
Spare spine and knees

Mrs B just bought me an aeropress coffee maker that I’m going to try and squeeze in next time.

It weighs quite a bit but I find that once you find a pace it’s not too bad

Sounds like a great adventure!

It's absolutely fine to carry a folding (non-locking) knife with a blade up to 3" long in a public place too. The restrictions mainly apply to fixed blades, which includes locking folders, and any folder with a blade longer than 3". Treating locking folders as fixed blades is case law though.

Scissors are very useful and I agree with your choice but, personally, I prefer a SAK which has scissors and various other tools. I find it a bit more versatile. :D

"What do you take when walking?"

Apart from camera gear, as little as possible. Check the forecast, wear appropriate clothing and if I am in a popular area of England where you are mainly never more than a few minutes from a laminated information board and a path that is more obvious than the M6 then may be a drink. Further afield then the usual basics plus a survival bag and importantly let someone know where I am going, the route and ETA. I tend to try to address the real risks, e.g. sole comes off boot so take some decent cord to tie it back on; break an ankle and can't walk so sit it out in the survival bag. These are things that I know have happened to friends.

@Jannyfox.........Water bottle (empty) for collecting river water for tea

not for me..!!.....untreated water - even boiled - has the potential of stomach cramps and diarrhea

not for me..!!.....untreated water - even boiled - has the potential of stomach cramps and diarrhea

Agree and disagree, it depends where you are.

I do almost all of my upland walking in NW Scotland and although I will take water with me on a hot day I will fill up the water bottle and drink from streams.

I have never had any concerns about doing this or any problems but the stream is always well away from human habitation, livestock and other people.

Dave

Like Dave says, depends where you are. In upland areas the water's fine to drink after boiling. I would drink water unboiled up in the mountains, but not on Dartmoor as an animal is likely to have peed in it upstream. They do say if the water's running over rocks the granite purifies it, but my immune system doesn't work properly so I prefer not to put that to the test. Places like the Quantocks or Exmoor I'd carry tap water if I was going to have tea.
Perhaps we should specify the area where we normally go walking so others can put the comments in context. My go-to place is Dartmoor, and most years a couple of weeks in Wester Ross. I use the Quantocks as an easy to reach 'training area' and go occasionally to Exmoor, but I don't really like Exmoor.

Last edited:
I think the list here are more for what I walk call trekking rather than walking.

As I always carry my Swiss Army Knife (SAK) I don't regard it as a walking "tool." I do however carry a pair of folding secateurs with me on my walks. To cut back overhanging brambles etc.

I will change what I carry depending on the season and where I am walking. Currently not carrying a torch as I am mainly walking in the morning (alway have the phone though) Only carrying my "lightweight" waterproofs as again the weather is mild and I check the weather forecast as well. No need for tents, cookers etc. (not stopping overnight) always carry a first aid kit including a survival blanket. But then again I am only walking around my local area.

NW Scotland is a fantastic place - well worth a little suffering for :)

Agree. If you are caught unprotected they won't kill you - you'll just wish they would :) it is all worthwhile for such a great area, and there are some very good repellent.

Hoping to be up there soon.

Dave

Agree. If you are caught unprotected they won't kill you - you'll just wish they would :) it is all worthwhile for such a great area, and there are some very good repellent.

Hoping to be up there soon.

Dave

Apparently this year's been horrendous for them.
Enjoy when you get up there - I won't be jealous (lies through gritted teeth). Only 8 months to wait............. and counting........ :)

Phone
Water
Jacket
Camera
Sandwich (Maybe)

Depending on weather itll be either jeans or shorts and a t shirt.
Terrain depending itll be walking boots or trainers.

Back