What do you think of this Flower Shot?

Name
Samuel
Edit My Images
Yes

Took this recently in my school library with a Zenit EM and a 3x teleconverter with a Helios 44M and Kodak Ultra 400 ISO film. Also used a Vivitar 225 flash with the lightsensor thing so it didn't look too harsh.

What do you think? I have done a fair amount of macro of flowers but most are on slides and I currently don't have a scanner that can do them. Only took this on print film as it was what I had loaded at the time when I mentioned I liked taking pictures like this to the librarian who held the purple book behind as a background.

I am never using Jessops for enlargements again. First they tried to charge me £8 for a 12x8 of this with a 3 DAY wait!:thumbsdown: (Eventually convinced them the price was wrong, it was £3.50) Then they are white dots like you can see on the picture that were not in the original 7.5x5 print and a mysterious fog has appeared on the right side that was not there either. Any idea what that is?

Last edited:
Background is distracting and it's not a particularly interesting shot of the flower - too much going on and the shadows are still pretty harsh.

I had a little play with your photo but I'm not sure if it improves it a great deal or not :)

2qa65n6.jpg

Last edited:
The reason for the harsh shadows is the scanner - when I scanned it in it looked nothing like the original print and I had to boost up the saturation and contrast a bit to stop it looking so dull unlike on the print but it messed up the shadows. When I stopped the lens down for DOF preview the book looked out of focus and gave a nice purply white background. I tried framing just the main flower but Iit was beyond my min focal point so I ahd to compromise.

I do have some better shots on slides but as I said I don't have a scanner that can do them yet so they will have to wait. I actually have just sent off a roll of Velvia 50 to be processed which includes some taken with my new Vivitar Series 1 70 - 210mm in macro mode with a plain light blue background to make it a little less distracting.

Last edited:
Its all in the background with flower shots, keep it plain and you wont go wrong.

I also don't like the purple background. I would also say the flash is too bright. Good try though, we only learn by experimenting.

The flash is a bit of guesswork as the nearest distance on the scale is 1.5m which says to use f22, but I was focusing at approximately 0.6m so I took that as f32 and then added on 3 stops for the teleconverter. I don't have a meter that measures flash.
Like I said before the scanner does not help as when scanned with the default settings it looks nothing like the original print. I upped the saturation quite a bit to make it look less dull and increased the contrast slightly.

Back