What do you use to get you to a destination?

I have an old-ish widescreen TOM TOM which lives in the car, its pretty basic but has life time updates, I connect it up once every 6 months ish.
I like it as the wife can use it very easily as she is not that technical.

On my motorbike I use an old Note 4 in a case strapped to the handlebars

I use maps for a general view and sat nav to get there but I will override it if necessary to take a more interesting route.

Just been looking at the TomTom app for the iPhone that someone mentioned earlier.

Does anyone know if you get the same maps. speed/safety cameras and features in the app as you get with the TomTom sat-navs? It seems hard to believe that the app costs less than £20 when their sat-navs are in the region of £150.

TomTom. Car has satnav built in but it's notoriously unreliable, especially with an 8 year old DVD as its source. I usually get as far as possible without necessarily following Tom's selected route, using it for the last few miles.

I tend to read up and check Google maps first before setting off. Then either use my phone sat nav if it's a short journey or the Tom Tom if it's a long one. I much prefer using the Tom Tom as it's just a better interface when in use.

One good option I've not really explored is that you can plan a route on Google Maps and then send it to your phone.
The problem I've had is when out in the countryside with no 3G/4G data, Google Maps is useless, so that's where a dedicated Sat Nav device/app is ideal.

I tend to read up and check Google maps first before setting off. Then either use my phone sat nav if it's a short journey or the Tom Tom if it's a long one. I much prefer using the Tom Tom as it's just a better interface when in use.

One good option I've not really explored is that you can plan a route on Google Maps and then send it to your phone.
The problem I've had is when out in the countryside with no 3G/4G data, Google Maps is useless, so that's where a dedicated Sat Nav device/app is ideal.
I do that a lot for work, normally when getting about london on public transport. Look it up on the computer and send to the phone for when I'm ready to leave.

As for no signal, you can choose to download a map in advance.

Since i could find no online comparison for the routing capabilities of the various apps i did a test a few months ago of the various satnav apps on the iPhone (after previously using waze and google maps). During this trial there was a major accident on the a470 and despite being closed for 3 hours many of the apps still routed me on that road, including google maps, waze, sygic and a couple of others that I cant remember. Google maps also missed a few temporary road closures that tomtom noted correctly.

Google maps can be run with crowd sourced road conditions on or off. Sounds like you were using it with road conditions off.

There is an option in Google maps to download maps of a user defined area in advance, when you have for example wifi, and then you can use the maps later on location with no mobile data connection.

There is an option in Google maps to download maps of a user defined area in advance, when you have for example wifi, and then you can use the maps later on location with no mobile data connection.
Downloading in advance isn't helpful if you don't know your destination before the point you set off.
EG when I'm camping on a site that doesn't have Wifi or good enough 4G, and trying to get to a destination I've not looked up before. I'd heard about such and such valley, or that lake or village, etc, I don't have data to look it up via Google or download the map before setting off. That's when I use the Tom Tom, type in the village name or search the points of interest.

Just been looking at the TomTom app for the iPhone that someone mentioned earlier.

Does anyone know if you get the same maps. speed/safety cameras and features in the app as you get with the TomTom sat-navs? It seems hard to believe that the app costs less than £20 when their sat-navs are in the region of £150.
Yes you do get all the maps you just download them on WiFi . I used it on Greece a few years ago before data roaming got all normal. It was 20 quid for a year unlimited.

Downloading in advance isn't helpful if you don't know your destination before the point you set off.
EG when I'm camping on a site that doesn't have Wifi or good enough 4G, and trying to get to a destination I've not looked up before. I'd heard about such and such valley, or that lake or village, etc, I don't have data to look it up via Google or download the map before setting off. That's when I use the Tom Tom, type in the village name or search the points of interest.
But then you have to rely on your maps being up to date. Do Tomtom still charge for map updates on their devices.

Google maps can be run with crowd sourced road conditions on or off. Sounds like you were using it with road conditions off.

No, it was definitely a google maps issue not a user issue - google maps in a desktop browser also gave the same routing. That (and some other misses by google) led me to decide upon tomtom as it didn't suffer the same problems when routing and identifying traffic.

But then you have to rely on your maps being up to date. Do Tomtom still charge for map updates on their devices.

No, all updates are free once you have purchased the subscription in the app. Updates are approx 1GB.

Depends on the device. Some came with updates included. No idea about the phone app.

I'd rather have a device with slightly old maps than none at all. ;)

When I bought mine a year or 2 ago, the cost included lifetime map updates. I would have to pay extra for speed camera updates but have chosen not to!

I use Apple Maps via Car Play. I used to use Google Maps via Android Auto and it took a while to get used to the Apple version but I find it does what I need. It doesn't give me speed camera warnings but it does display what the speed limit is and my car has a road sign recognition camera so I always know the speed limit so whether there is a speed camera or not, it isn't really relevant.

Are you not then technically paying for map updates?

You don't have to pay for map updates when they come out, but you do pay a subscription to use the app.

It is no different to buying a satnav that is advertised as having free map updates, you are paying money to them either way and you can interpret the offer of free updates as included in the price.

I use Apple Maps via Car Play. I used to use Google Maps via Android Auto and it took a while to get used to the Apple version but I find it does what I need. It doesn't give me speed camera warnings but it does display what the speed limit is and my car has a road sign recognition camera so I always know the speed limit so whether there is a speed camera or not, it isn't really relevant.

Thanks for that Marc. I've tried to get the TomTom and Google maps to work with Apple Carplay but it looks as though Apple are keeping it all to themselves and who can blame them. It seems a shame to have a large screen in the car and not be able to run your favourite maps through it.

I use Waze on my Android stereo.

Only downside is it needs a wifi connection but I have a mobile wifi adapter so it's not really a problem unless it loses signal.

Thanks for that Marc. I've tried to get the TomTom and Google maps to work with Apple Carplay but it looks as though Apple are keeping it all to themselves and who can blame them. It seems a shame to have a large screen in the car and not be able to run your favourite maps through it.

That's Apple for you. I did find a way to route Google maps through it but it's sound only so you'd still have to put your phone in a cradle.

Incorrect. You can use your OEM built in device whilst driving but if your Sat Nav is portable/removable you are subject to the same rules as a mobile phone; ie you can't adjust it unless parked up with the engine switched off.
The relevant paragraphs are:

110.—(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a road if he is using—
(a) a hand-held mobile telephone; or
(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(4) A device referred to in paragraphs (1)(b), (2)(b) and (3)(b) is a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.
I am not a lawyer, but I don't think you're necessarily right here. If the phone/device is attached to the car in some way so that you do not need to hold it in your hand, you can be OK. In other words, what matters is whether the device is being hand-held in use, rather than whether it's capable of being hand-held.

The RAC advises drivers as follows: [1]
Using a phone as a sat-nav: the law
If you wish to use smartphone navigation or a mapping app, fix the phone to the windscreen or dashboard, so it’s in clear view for use while driving (but not obstructing your view), without requiring you to hold it.

But more importantly the CPS guidance agrees: [2]
The prosecution must merely prove that the phone or the other device was hand held by the person at some point during its use at a time when the person was driving a vehicle on a road.

If you fix the phone/device (e.g. to a windscreen or dashboard holder) so that you can follow the satnav instructions without having to hold the phone/device in your hand, then the RAC and CPS say you can be compliant with the law.

[1] https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/mobile-phone-laws/
[2] https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-mobile-phones

Purchased a copy of CO Pilot a few years back, think about 20 quid and always done the trick. My subscription allows me to instal on both Android and iOS

Sometimes I purchase the yearly active traffic subscription which is around 8 quid a year

I am a route planner as well Google maps and then refer to memory. If going abroad Sat Nav.

Apple CarPlay uses your car's touchscreen (obviously) but it doesn't stop you using other interactive solutions on the touchscreen, such as Android Auto, Mirror Screen et al

Apple CarPlay uses your car's touchscreen (obviously) but it doesn't stop you using other interactive solutions on the touchscreen, such as Android Auto, Mirror Screen et al

Not sure what you mean by "other interactive solutions" Are you saying there is some way I can get to use TomTom maps on car's touchscreen?

Not sure what you mean by "other interactive solutions" Are you saying there is some way I can get to use TomTom maps on car's touchscreen?

I gave you 2 other examples, Android Auto and Mirror Screen. There are others. It's just that your post made it seem like it's Apple keeping other mapping applications off of your car's touchscreen when it's not. If you connect using CarPlay, then yes, you can only use Apple Maps; but if you connect using another interface then you have other options.

Oh and just in case you didn't know, Apple Maps data is primarily provided by TomTom.

So first off I'll use a map - either paper or google maps to work out where I'm going in the country, what major places I'm going past so I've a rough idea of direction. I mostly know routes from place to place around most of England and Wales.

In the cars, the Mazda 6 has a brilliant built in TomTom system, with traffic services, internet lookup etc, so I'll use that for the last mile or two directions and in case of any traffic delays. In the MX-5 or TVR I use a Garmin sat nav which I bought with free lifetime map updates. I also have a large paper map book that goes with me - just in case

If I'm out and about on foot, usually in cities, then I'll use a paper map usually available from the hotel lobby, or google maps on the phone. When abroad I pay £2 a day for unlimited data, so phone and backup battery usb charger works just fine. I do like paper maps though, add the camera and nothing says tourist better :D

What do I use to get around? Bestbeloved! I don't think places dare to be other than where she thinks they are.

Seriously, we like paper maps. You can draw on them, write on them, see what is round the bend/over the hilll before you get there. You cannot do serendipity with gps.

I think all sat navs have there good points and there crazy ones. My wife and I had identical cars but different manufacturing years, only 2 years difference. Stand them side by side at home and set them to go to manchester and they took different routes. one took the motorway the other went through preston.

Using a mix of TomTom, in car SatNav (Kia), Google Maps ... and then occasionally just knowing where I go, so no need for navigation aid.

I tried using Apple Maps through the Carplay system this morning and was pretty happy with them. If as someone mentioned earlier the data is primarily provided by TomTom, I can understand why. No audible speed warning like you get with the TomTom sat-nav but the road speeds were well displayed on the screen as is the time and distance remaining. I tried to do a few detours and the Apple Maps very quickly picked up a new route. Overall quite impressed.

Back