What does it take?

At the very least, learn the value of your work.

It was the cover of Accounting and Business magazine. It's pretty hard to learn when there are so many brick walls in the way. Appreciate the input. Folks on Alamy are always going on about the race to the bottom too for stock. Now I see why a lot of togs set up their own photoshelter site for all their stuff.

I thought you said 'book'? 'Book' and 'magazine' are very different things.

I think I've turned invisible!

I guess I'm guilty of not being pin point accurate in my information. It'll be a long road to the top tier. I don't mind a lot of hard work as long as I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. The difficult thing is trying to find out if the juice is worth the squeeze and from what I can gather is that it's quite a saturated genre much like all the others.

I can sympathise with working pros because it annoys the life out of me when wee Johnny gets a new 1dx and 400 2.8 for Christmas just because they can. They then fload the forums with how to get into big games.

We all need to work to get our gear, pay insurances and make sure we get paid for our usages on time. If I could do it full time I would. I don't expect to be welcomed with open arms but treading lightly is pretty hard when you're new into a genre. Info is hard to come by and If you mess things up you're done for. Everyone knows everyone else and all it takes is for one person to mention you to someone high up that you made a mistake and you're done for.

I'm just trying to be prepared as best I can and I guess I'm bound to p*** off a few folk along the way but I don't see a more valuable resource than forums for this sort of thing.

I'd rather do this than ask every tog on the sidelines and run the risk of getting a monopod shoved where a seat used to be.

I guess I'm guilty of not being pin point accurate in my information. It'll be a long road to the top tier. I don't mind a lot of hard work as long as I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. The difficult thing is trying to find out if the juice is worth the squeeze and from what I can gather is that it's quite a saturated genre much like all the others.

I can sympathise with working pros because it annoys the life out of me when wee Johnny gets a new 1dx and 400 2.8 for Christmas just because they can. They then fload the forums with how to get into big games.

We all need to work to get our gear, pay insurances and make sure we get paid for our usages on time. If I could do it full time I would. I don't expect to be welcomed with open arms but treading lightly is pretty hard when you're new into a genre. Info is hard to come by and If you mess things up you're done for. Everyone knows everyone else and all it takes is for one person to mention you to someone high up that you made a mistake and you're done for.

I'm just trying to be prepared as best I can and I guess I'm bound to p*** off a few folk along the way but I don't see a more valuable resource than forums for this sort of thing.

I'd rather do this than ask every tog on the sidelines and run the risk of getting a monopod shoved where a seat used to be.

Stick around, the pro togs in here can be blunt but have helped and pushed others that show some determination. Mark [Demilion] may not thank me for this [ :D ], but I remember him being here before he worked his arse off to get where he is and can certainly vouch for the fact that it really is hard work and determination that gets you places in such a saturated market [and in fairness, quite a bit of expence], I'm sure he will confirm that. I am not a sports/news photographer, other than a bit of hobby cricket snaps, but I am a pro snapper and you have to be prepared for the fact there will always be others wanting a slice of the cake. Whether that is the guys above you or the ones below but if you show you are prepared to put in the legwork and listen to advice, you will get guided and help.

Are we trying to outdo the bird forum or OOF? It's been so pleasant in here lately. Let's keep it that way please. I've started to like my quiet Friday nights with a glass or two of wine.
OI you, the bird forum is peace and tranquility now.......;)

Seeing as I am a wedding snapper, does that make this a full forum set? :LOL:
Yep. I get all nostalgic about the old wedding section, it was such fun.

Probably won't help one bit that I use to be a birder. Followed kingfisher for two years on license before I got into other things.

I happen to think that the methods and kit used for sports and wildlife cross over very well.

Probably won't help one bit that I use to be a birder. Followed kingfisher for two years on license before I got into other things.

I happen to think that the methods and kit used for sports and wildlife cross over very well.

I should probably explain that historically, the 3 forum areas that have been known to cause more arguments than necessary are sports, birds and weddings, though I should also point out that whilst flare ups are annoying they are also not that common so don't let it worry you ;)

Indeed, that is why I drift into this section. I have no idea about the business of sports photography, but wildlife and sports photography techniques are very similar.

It's a very poorly moderated forum.I was called an idiot on one post and that was backed up by a moderator liking it. Same people time and time again.I have complained to Marcel the administrator but very little seems to be done.

That's because nothing needs to be done. You were making yourself look like an idiot with his fingers in his ears.

Mark [Demilion] may not thank me for this [ :D ], but I remember him being here before he worked his arse off to get where he is and can certainly vouch for the fact that it really is hard work and determination that gets you places in such a saturated market [and in fairness, quite a bit of expence], I'm sure he will confirm that.

Yup, hard work, refusal to fail and a few thousand pounds worth of investment into kit and a six month residential course!

Nah, you wedding togs are our poor relations, easy to do and easy money but poor output.

Yeah, right! As opposed to you sports snappers who sit on your comfy stools for 80/90minutes, point your expensive cameras set to ISO 120,000 and 25fps, spray & pray and then, with no post processing to do, go home and count your dosh! :rolleyes:

:D

:exit:

Yeah, right! As opposed to you sports snappers who sit on your comfy stools for 80/90minutes, point your expensive cameras set to ISO 120,000 and 25fps, spray & pray and then, with no post processing to do, go home and count your dosh! :rolleyes:

Oy, hang on here a minute, you 2 really need to change Avatars, i thought you were the same person, typical wedding togs, no imigination so steal someone elses style

Well, it really IS your fault!!!

Oi :bat:

:LOL:

Oi :bat:

:LOL:

After reading through about 10 pages so far of threads, it's clear that I have actually come in quite luckily at a good level. I haven't done lower league games (Scottish league 2 being the lowest so far) , so I have to thank my lucky stars for such a good start. I'm going to take it for what it is, a really good opportunity, and build it from there.

I've had stupid thoughts in my head of two body set ups and a 400 2.8 or even a 300, just because I see that out in the field. I get on pretty well with my wee 70-200 f4 IS so I think I need a slap. I'm trying to run before I can walk and I can understand why my thread ruffled a few feathers. I got off quite lightly to be honest.

So, long term plan is to continue with the status quo, and save up for a Sigma 120-300 2.8 Sport on a crop body. Upgrade my f4 IS to the 2.8 MkII I sold last year (stupid). Get used to using a big lens on a monopod, get a standard etiquette sorted out over time with regards to not getting said big lens in the way of folk when not in use. That one sounds really daft, but someone did it to me at my last game and kept leaving his 300 f/4 on the ad barrier right in my line of sight. I'll never forget that or forget the guy that did it, so I don't want that same anger towards me.

Anyway cheers for the advice

I use the Sigma 2.8 120-300 on my Canon 1D MkIII. It's pretty good and copes quite well. I got mine from MPB Photographic at a really reasonable price so might be worth having a look on there. You might find you can afford it sooner than you think

I use the Sigma 2.8 120-300 on my Canon 1D MkIII. It's pretty good and copes quite well. I got mine from MPB Photographic at a really reasonable price so might be worth having a look on there. You might find you can afford it sooner than you think

Is that the newer Sport model that looks like the ART series lenses? Or the older one?

I note that they have one of the older ones for £619. That's pretty affordable :O - Better than £2799 for the sport model.

They also have a 70-200 2.8 non IS too. Hmmmm

Last edited:
Probably the older one. I think it's the Non IS version as well as there's no point in me having IS as I always use a monopod with it

Regards the old 120-300 mine was ok but make sure you have a good luck before hand. personally id save and get an L series lens, I wished id done that earlier as they are so much better. IMHO

I still use my L series 2.8 70-200 on my 40D.

Yes, the old Canon 300mm f2.8 non-IS is still a great lens, if you can get hold of one in decent nick. They will typically cost about half what you'd pay for the IS version.

I've just traded my 300L 2.8 in to LCE in London. Cosmetically looked a bit "used", paint chipped and lens shroud dinked, but optically much much better than my old sigma 120-300. £1500.
I got a lot more keepers with this than with my sigma.
Only traded it as got a very good deal on a 400!!
Although only good if my mrs NEVER finds out :0D

This is where a lot of folk fall foul I guess. I'm open with the mrs and she's not daft, she knows the lingo very well. I just have to say 300 2.8 and she knows how many versions there was lol. I don't get stopped buying stuff at all. It's my money she says, but I have made some really stupid calls in the last year with buying kit that have resulted in a loss of money that could have gone to other things.

7D, 1D3, 400mm 5.6L, 70-200 2.8 MKII, all bought and sold on again. All apart from the 400 5.6, would have been quite useful to me know, eh, who knows what life will throw at you :)

I seen a 300mm 2.8 non IS on ebay for around £1500. My only concern would be that they aren't supported by canon anymore so repairs might be an issue.

You don't know my mrs!!!

Seriously though I've done the same and bought stuff because of impatience rather than saving and its a false economy in most cases.
Yes repairs may be an issue but then you'd never buy anything mechanical if you were worried about it breaking?
I've just spent £700 on my car in the last fortnight after a dodgy bloke sold me a car.....or Dad as he's known!! He had hardly spent anything over the past 2 years on it!!
Sh!t happens lol.

Back