What equipment to Australia?

Name
Gary Clark
Edit My Images
Yes
Was intending to take all my gear but weighed it the other day and I'm way over, now I have the dilemma of which lenses to take, compounded with the extreme sunny conditions & also a trip to Bali and the humidity.

So folks which two lenses;
50mm 1.4
85mm 1.8
16-35mm f4
70-200 f2.8
28-300 f 3.5-5.6
200mm f4 Micro
150-600 Tamron

Well, I suppose it depends what you want take pictures of!

If it is not specifically a photography holiday I'd probably just take the 28-300 (even though I don't really like super zooms) ... or get a smaller camera such as a sony rx100 ...

As I follow up to my last post, I would say if you think you'll be taking a lot of street/general photography, take the 50, a lot of portraits take the 85, a lot of landscapes take the 16-35, sport/larger wildlife the 70-200, bugs and flowers the 200, birds and small mammals the 150-600 and for an all round hodge-podge of all of the above, the 28-300: horses for courses.

I could live with just the 16-35 for landscape and street. I don't own a tele but I wouldn't be lugging around the f2.8 so I would take the 28-300 and leave the rest. Or use the excuse to buy a new compact :)

Last edited:
Depends what your baggage limit is, what you're going to photograph. My trip to OZ many years ago involved watch the world Superbikes at Phillip Island and the Pengiuns at Penguin Parade, Wilson Promontory, Ocean Road, 12 Apostles, Zoo visits, an Airshow, Melbourne and its festivals plus the rest, so a walk around zoom lens, 70-200mm zoom and 300mm prime fitted the bill.

Thanks for all replays folks, I already had thoughts of 16-35 & 70-200 good idea of 50 f1.4, I will be doing landscape, Street & prob general indoor family snaps.

Hi. My brother lives in Sydney so I have this dilemma every year. I always take a wide zoom (either 16-35 or 24-70) and a selection of Lee filters.To give me some length I take a 1.4 mk3 and my 100-400 mk2. I will also take my Fuji X100T next year to give me a decent size sensor to walk around with. Now, looking at your list of lenses, I was away recently and found myself frustrated by not having two bodies with me to enable me to switch quickly between landscape and shooting birds and wondered how good the 28-300 is... I seem to recall when picking it up at the photo show it was heavy as well. So, I think 50 16-35 your 70-200 and a quality compact. Unless the 28-300 is really really good. Hope that helps. Where are you going in Oz?

Back