What External Microphone for Canon 6D

Edit My Images
No
As title I'm looking at doing some video soon with my Canon 6D and i could do with a decent external microphone. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Cheers!

Tom

Of course it depends on if you want to go directional or stereo in mike choice

I can't think of anything much better in the way of wind noise suppression than the outside of a moving train using that mike. you may just glimps the dead rat fur at top of part of video. That was before I got the height extender

And this for mike range distance

Which also needs to be thought about. No good getting on that only picks up sound a couple of feet away. i did quite a bit of research on sound quality-mike size and type. Of course you get what you pay for and what you want to use it for

Last edited:

shown on top of my Nikon D800 with height extender in place

Last edited:
There are a number of options available, from a few pound ( well maybe a bit more than a few) up to several hundred. It all depends on what you want to do, and as important you budget. Certainly the rod mike is a good option, they now have about 6 video mics available from about £50 to £170. Big fan of Sennheiser mics, but they do tend to be expensive. One point to bear in mind is that camera amps can be a bit noisy as far as hiss is concerned. ( Especially on 5D's and 6D's ) When using on camera mics I tend to run them through a Zoom H1 as a preamp and send a "hot" signal to the camera so as I can keep the gain low and thus the noise low as well.

Back