What facilities would you look for in a residential centre for (landscape) photography?

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone,
nice to be part of the community. I'm not back in the UK all that often any more, perhaps a couple of times a year, but it's nice to be in touch.
I do have a question or two though: after 30 years working in Munich, Germany, my wife and I are beginning to get itchy feet and are thinking about moving to Austria in a couple of years. It will mean early retirement and so we'll be looking at ways to supplement our income. One idea that I'm working on at the moment is setting up a business combining holiday flats with a workshop centre that could be used by photo groups coming in to run their own courses. Maybe also to run our own courses, but I'm not sure my photo skills are worth passing on yet (there's a small collection of my most recent work on Flickr under the handle Kaltenberg Mike).
If you run workshops outside the UK, would a small centre like this be of any interest to you? If yes, what facilities would make it attractive for you as an instructor or participant?
To give you a rough idea of what we're talking about, we're looking at providing accommodation for up to 10 people that could be catered or self-catering. Alongside the living quarters would be a large open-plan space combining dining and living room with enough space for group presentations and discussions. The area that we're most focused on is Eastern Tyrol, between the alps and the dolomites - near the town of Lienz.
I'd really be grateful for any feedback. Who knows, maybe we'll see you down there one day!
Mike

Oddly enough, I'm thinking about doing this type of thing in France. Looking at various Cháteau's currently with a long term view.

I'd be thinking about your location, obviously whats on offer there photographically. The location you mentioned sounds ideal. I have spoken to several people who run similar things in France and a lot of them tend to drive a mini bus to a location, leave the tog's there for a few hours and pick them up later. Another option is taking a group to a location and helping them get the best from it. An outdoor location workshop if you will. Several locations during the time they are staying.

As for running courses with other Photo Groups, it might pay to find a good pro tog who is local(ish) to the area and knows it well, tie them in with your guests and it could be a winner.

Somewhere to post process would be ideal, either using your own computers of the tog's bringing their own.
Excellent room facilities would be a must and a good selection if itineraries.

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what was going through my mind. Everything I have considered so far ticks ALL of those boxes. Lienz is a little bit off the beaten track, but slap bang between the high alps and the dolomites. I know the area reasonably well, and have already written an 8-page guide to photo locations. Maybe we can network/advise each other a bit once things firm up. Do you have any links for the existing set ups?

As a participant, I would like good clean accommodation to use as a base, it doesn't have to be flash, just comfortable.
Ideally, breakfast included and perhaps the option for other meals.

To get the most out of the area, some organised location shoots and tips would be good, with a pack up or local eatery on the agenda. Would not have to be be everyday.
Some local knowledge on places to visit see, eat experiences and how to get there for other options.

WiFi access when back at base.

So few people/companies cater for wheelchair users on holiday. With a little thought and the use of ramps instead of steps where possible, this could be an added attraction for people like me. :cool:

I'll have to dig some links out if I can find them. It was a number of years ago though.

As mentioned, good wifi back at base, local knowledge, packed lunch etc will go along way.

As for wheelchair users, that's a huge market that can be tapped into and as Sky says, only takes a little thought to make things happen plus there a =re only a handful of companies that cater to their needs.

Would be happy to network etc

All sounds good and exactly what I had in mind, flexible catering, decent standard. I'm sure that we can factor in wheelchairs. At least four more years of work first to get the kids through uni, I'll keep my eyes open for suitable properties. Thanks for all the feedback and thanks for the bump mouse at!

Reactions: Sky
Well, I know many would not care a great deal about accommodation because they would be up early and out late especially in the summer but we currently could not keep going all day [knee op] so would want somewhere comfortable, seating in the rooms, en suite; the ability to self cater would be handy for those with dietary requirements [me] and as a couple that doesn't drink much at all, a decent tv with satellite. I know, dream on!

lol, I know what you mean about them getting their own breakfast for sunrise photography.

Another thing we are considering, it that of other genres of photography. Ideally wedding photography workshops (We are looking at several stunning Chateau's), portraits, still life, glamour etc. The list is endless

Be great to keep in touch

Chipper, your spot on with the accommodation. It has to work for everyone. Certainly we'll be offering self catering options. TV with Satellite is already on the list.

I question the "for up to 10" limitation... I think that would only accommodate the smallest of photography workshops/tours/groups. Many workshops/tours have minimum enrollment requirements near that and it doesn't include the instructors/guides. Some have minimum enrollment 2x higher than your limit.
So I think you are primarily looking at local programs which are probably pretty infrequent (and low budget).

I have seen some workshop/tours with max enrollments of 5 or less (which makes them 6-7 total) which is probably right in your sweet spot, and those seem to have higher costs per (better budget). But I have no idea how reliable/consistent/etc.

Looking at a map, the location is reasonably close for the Dolomites (~65km?), but seems a bit far for day outings to the Alps IMO... and I don't know what else is in the area as major tourist/photography attractions.

I think I would look for existing workshops/tours to attractions nearby... see what kind of operations they run; group sizes, schedules, where they stay, etc. And see if you think you can easily accomodate them, compete for their business, and if it seems like there is enough of it. Otherwise, you are looking at establishing your own/new market... which is even harder.

I question the "for up to 10" limitation... I think that would only accommodate the smallest of photography workshops/tours/groups. Many workshops/tours have minimum enrollment requirements near that and it doesn't include the instructors/guides. Some have minimum enrollment 2x higher than your limit.
So I think you are primarily looking at local programs which are probably pretty infrequent (and low budget).
There are reasons for the 10 limit - I've little experience with larger groups, plus at 10 or fewer guest beds it's a lot less bureaucracy. Otherwise we'd need to do 12-week catering and hospitality courses. Not out of the question, but I'm not too enthusiastic.

Here’s some things I’d like to see in such a facility:

1) Short walk to town/village centre for pub/restaurant.
2) In the place itself, a fridge with many many cold beers and soft drinks.
3) Lots of nibbles and snacks and so on.
4) Large room with desks/workstations and comfy functional chairs.
5) Workstations, each with plenty of power sockets, and a large monitor to plug laptop into. Lots of spare cables.
6) Projector to beam onto a large screen for end-of-day picture showing, demos, lectures etc.
7) For early pre-breakfast rises, little “packed breakfast” to take out on a shoot.
8) Nice comfy sitting about lounge for talking rubbish after a long day.

As a participant, I would like good clean accommodation to use as a base, it doesn't have to be flash, just comfortable.
Ideally, breakfast included and perhaps the option for other meals.

Comfortable bed, clean bathroom (and bedroom!).

Mind you, sunrise photographers in high summer can get their own bloody breakfast!

Depends on the price point. Cheap - pre-booked packed breakfast or cereal etc. available for guests; expensive - kitchen open in plenty of time for cooked breakfasts for all who want one before sunrise shoots.

Back