What flash for circa £100 (new or S/H)

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently don't have a flash (other than the built in flash on the camera), and would rather like one. So, assuming the budget is around £100, and I'm not fussed about whether its new or second hand or not, what would you recommend to go along with a Canon 40D?

I currently don't have a flash (other than the built in flash on the camera), and would rather like one. So, assuming the budget is around £100, and I'm not fussed about whether its new or second hand or not, what would you recommend to go along with a Canon 40D?

Hi James

Depends on what you want it to do / how much you're going to use it...

I bought one of the Canon 430EX flash units and for me (as I don't use it very often) it's great and was within the budget I wanted to spend. It will also work as a slave unit to one of the more powerful flashes that have the master control should I want / need a 2nd flash...

I mainly do car photography, but also a bit of portrait and product photography, if that helps?

Do you need a TTL flash? Certainly for portrait and product you can get more for your money going with manual flashes and a trigger set using them off-camera. For £100 I think you should be able to get a pair of used Canon 430EZ flashguns (manual only with the 40D, won't work with TTL) and a set of triggers to use with them. I used a pair with my 40D and a set of Yongnuo triggers, I found them very dependable - the go-to-first set in my bag of flashguns.

To be honest, I don't know, I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, and he suggested I should get one with ETTL, but I'm not sure what the advantages of that are. Apparently it lets the flash and the camera communicate light levels?

I think you have a lot of research to do..

First step, decide what you want to do.

Got any examples of flash-lit photographs that you'd like to copy the style of? - without knowing what you want to do it's exceptionally difficult to give a useful answer (or even understand what the real question should be).

i got a Nissin Speedlite Di466 in pristine condition on ebay for £24

Something like a new Nissin Di622 MkII will be around your full budget but it's a cracking flash, has ETTL and has similar light output of the Canon 430EX II. If you decide to go down the second hand route then the afore mentioned 430EX II is a good performer but you might also find a Nissin Di866 MkI or MkII. The Nissin Di866 is an amazing flash and up to around a year ago was the most powerful flash gun available. The functions are similar to the Canon 580EX II but only around half the price. I have a Nissin Di866 MkI and a MkII and also have a Canon 580EX II and I usually use the Canon on my 5D3 and I can use the Nissin's as off camera flash triggered by the 580.

Just took delivery of 3 Yongnou 565's after my Flash died on Saturday. Not long unboxed them, but so far the quality seems fantastic for the ££'s spent. I will use them in manual probably, but TTL will come in handy.

Was keen on the Yongnou 568ii until I read the amazon reviews, seems several production issues, and no customer support to help.

Back