What flash to buy

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I've got a Rank Mamiya rangefinder and I'm awaiting the postie bringing me an Olympus Auto Eye (any day now!) what flash can I get for them both? i know both have a sync port. Is there any popular ones that you can easily pick nowadays?

yn 560 has sync port, full manual controls, but dunno if it has auto mode , and won't have have that hilariously named calculator feature of old flashes, aka a table, and some hard to move switch

there was a old metz in classified here too

They might be a bit big, but the most versatile flash that I've ever used and own is a Vivitar 285, they do have a sync cord slot but you'll need to get a Vivitar type cord due them using a propitiatory type connector (you can ouick new ones up cheaply on ebay).
The 285 has a very versatile auto mode (using the light sensor on front of it) where you basically set the aperture on the camera for the distance range for the auto mode (theres 4 settings for different distance ranges on the flash, e.g the yellow mode uses the widest aperture [depends on the film speed, e.g f4 for ISO400) but allows correct exposure up to 18 feet whist other modes use smaller apertures but have range cut accordingly) as well as a manual power mode, tilt for bounce flash and a zoom head from 105mm to 35mm (28mm also with diffuser accessory).

You can pick them up used from about £25 to £50, I wouldn't buy one of the new ones that 'Vivitar' sell as the Chinese quality control has much to desire apparently compared to the older Japan/Korea made ones (look on the bottom in front of the flash mount and it will say where its made)

Back