What Focus Point settings do I need?

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

So I have a Canon 70D and a Sigma 18-35mm lens

Can I achieve this sort of image with my lens?

MOD EDIT : IMAGE REMOVED AS ITS NOT YOUR OWN.

Cannot find a direct link to the image, but it's image 9 of 42 on this link here...

Please try and respect other peoples copyright, as you'd wish people to respect yours.

https://www.elle.com/uk/fashion/cel...3/new-york-fashion-week-ss17-models-off-duty/

I can achieve Really nice portrait shots but when it comes to fill length body shots I struggle to get the model in focus

This is the mode I use for portraits

I don’t know when I would use this mode

And I would use this mode for the image I am trying to achieve of the model in focus full
Length?

Any help would be appreciated

Sorry I am new to photography

Last edited by a moderator:
Use single point focus point and place it wherever you want it to be in focus.

You’d only use multiple focus point on subjects that are movin around.

What focus point would I use if I wanted to take a photo of 3 people stood in a row?

What focus point would I use if I wanted to take a photo of 3 people stood in a row?

Are they all on the same focal plain? Do you want them all in focus? What aperture are you shooting at? What focal length are your shooting At? What is the distance between you and the subject?

Get yourself a depth of field calculator (Plenty of free ones around) and have a play.

What do you mean by 'in a row' i.e. all the same distance stood side by side or stood one behind the other in a staggered line?

If the former and surmising you are located about in line with middle person.................what Elliott @ecoleman says...............if they are as described but more spaced out then select a FP to be on one of them, matters not which one!

If the latter then focus on the middle person but make sure to use a small enough aperture to ensure all three are in focus! ;)

Edit ~ too slow tryping as Elliott beat me to it with a more fullsome reply :)

They would all be stood same focal plan

Maybe 3 meters infont of me

35mm lens

Apperature no larger than 4 as I want a blurred background

35mm lens

Using a focal length of 35mm on a crop body at 3m would give a DOF of 1.14m which would be plenty to get a body in focus so just focus on the middle persons eye.

For a more pleasing background blur you could move further back and use a larger focal length.

Last edited:

35mm lens

In regard to the OOF BG and a general rule of thumb just make sure the subject(s) are far enough away from what is in the BG.

Note ~ if your subjects are "tame" (e.g. happy to pose for you and experiment with distances (you to them and them to the BG) and apertures.....there is nothing quite as good as just testing yourself :)

PS I wonder if there are any uTube videos for such 'beginner' camera craft.

Last edited:
Your questions in order:
No, you need a longer fast lens for that shot, it’s about depth of field not focus point.
You’re using the correct mode (single focus point) and focus on the nearest eye.
Using modes that allow the camera to choose what to focus on are generally a bad idea, there are occasions when they’re the right thing to do, but for now stick with controlling what the camera is doing. (Then you’ll learn when you needthe help)

You need to understand 2 principles for successful focussing.
1 the focus plane is a flat plane a fixed distance from the camera, anything in front of or behind that is out of focus.
2. Depth of field - whilst either side of the focus plane is actually not in focus, by controlling the DoF you can get it ‘closer to’ in focus, you can think of it as a zone of acceptable focus.

Hi guys

So I have a Canon 70D and a Sigma 18-35mm lens

Can I achieve this sort of image with my lens?

No.

Look at how much compression there is in the image in terms of size difference front to back, look at the shallow depth of field. I'd suggest 85mm minimum on crop, 105mm+ on full frame.

Phil posted while I typed. :)

Back