What fps for wedding video?

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,
I'm a very experienced wedding photographer and just dipping my foot in the video arena to add this to one of the services I can provide at some point in the future.
The intention is to provide three free wedding videos to get the feel of things shooting video rather than stills.
I'm just curious to what is considered the defacto fps to shoot at? I'm the in UK where we are a 50hz nation but knowing this really isn't an issue anymore with modern day TV's. Computer monitors generally run at 60Hz and movies at 23.976 or 24. So, what would you shoot at?
My thoughts are to shoot at 24fps to keep a film style look and not so much 'home video'. I'm shooting with a Pansonic HC-X1. 2x D750's and a GoPro Hero 5.

Thanks

50hz is electricity 24 fps stems from when audio and video were first synced up. It was a nominal figure decided by two blokes.

24 or 30 will work well. 60 or 120 if you want any slow motion

I'm the in UK where we are a 50hz nation but knowing this really isn't an issue anymore with modern day TV's.

It's still a massive issue in video production.

50hz is electricity 24 fps stems from when audio and video were first synced up. It was a nominal figure decided by two blokes.

You need to match the frame rate to the electricity standard if there is any chance that there will be mains lighting anywhere near your shooting location. If you don't you'll get a 10Hz strobing effect of about 1/2 a stop. So in Europe, 25 or 50.

Film units use HMI lighting which is almost flicker free so they can use 24. (even then it's sped up for UK TV)

Last edited:
All the video s I produce are at 24fps. And have had no real problems .
As far as florescent light flicker, here's a technique originality suggested by Philip Bloom. https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/quick-trick-for-de-flickering-your-video-shots/

Tried it and it didn't work for my situation. In fact, I downloaded several deflickering plugins but none were successful I even tried to mask out certain areas but just couldn't get anything to work really.

Once I changed the fps to 25 then I haven't had the same problem.

To reinforce what st599 is saying, you really should be shooting 25fps rather than 24 as you are essentially in a documentary scenario. You have no time to check to see if flicker is happening - it is or it isn't and you're already filming and can't do another take. As a wedding shooter you'll also understand the importance of avoiding excessive fixing in post, as my experience of weddings is that enough time is spent processing as it is, you certainly don't want to deliberately create more work for yourself.

Also remember to double your shutter in relation to frame rate, so 25fps = 1/50 shutter. 50fps = 1/100 shutter. Aka the 180 degree shutter rule.

As above, 25fps to avoid any flicker....

I film mostly in 30fps - not sure why, I think it's because I started that way, and haven't changed - although I rarely shoot around lighting - oh, and most smart phones are American designed, and usually stuck at 30fps. (I do switch to 25 if I know I'll be around un-natural light)

But yes, to avoid flickering, 25fps is the way to go.

On my D750 I have always stuck to 25 FPS. If you are editing on FCP X it allows all you different camera footage to conform to the same FPS which is handy as you seem to have three different cameras.

Back