What height to mount backdrop holder?

Edit My Images
No
Going to start redecorating the studio and going replace the lightstands holding the background paper up with a motorized setup. Now that it'll stay at a fixed, unchangeable height got me thinking about what height to mount it at!

Is there a preferred height to go for? The studio size is 6m x 5m x4m (L x W x H)

Like Phil, I’d just go all the way. That way you have total freedom to shoot ‘upwards’ shoot portrait with loads of headroom etc.

Thanks all. Looks like I'll be going for around 3.50m depending on where I can reach comfortable from the top step of the ladder.

Depends also on how long your backdrop is - the higher you go, the less there is to cover the floor with, if you want it to do floor as well.

If it's motorised why limit yourself to 3.5m?

Multiple reasons but it's going to be dictated by what height I can safely reach on my existing ladder. While I'm happy on top of tall ladders not everyone using the studio will be. There will be times of people using it when I'm not there and might want to/need to change the backdrop. From my understanding (which might be wrong) of the working height directive, working on a platform above about 2m starts requiring additional precautions and I'd rather avoid those liabilities if I can.

I've rarely needed a backdrop that high so far (but probably never gone for those type of shots anyway as the background is too low! :D)

Depends also on how long your backdrop is - the higher you go, the less there is to cover the floor with, if you want it to do floor as well.

Yes this was the main reason for asking, there comes a trade off between a useful working height and how much you'll waste on each roll if you mount it too high. With a 11m roll you end up wasting 40-45% if it's stuck up at a height of 4m.

Worth getting one of those 'chained' hangers which hold 3 or more rolls?

It does!! Except it doesn't have any chains as it's motorised with a wireless remote control letting you control each roll. The chain type are a pain to unroll if you want any length of paper on the floor & you're working alone. The setup I've got holds 3 rolls which will mainly be black,white and grey but occasionally they'll need to be swapped out for different colours.

Back