What Hill-walking Equipment?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm going to be doing some hill-walking to take some landscape photos and I'm just wondering what kind of bag I should be going for here? Should I have two bags, one for camera and the other for supplies etc, or is there a single bag that combines both? Use my camera backpack and put supplies in there too? Just take a normal backpack and carry the camera?

What do you use and how do you carry your gear on treks?

Any other info on what I should take with me on a hike in terms of foods, tools etc would be helpful too :)

Current camera equipment I'll be taking to give you an idea of what will be in my bag:

Camera body
Landscape lens
Filter holder and filters
Polariser
Tripod

Here's my current bags:

DSLR Backpack: https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/...pack/LP36142?gclid=CK7Hwoe97sYCFRLMtAodEJsPRw

Normal backpack (could be the 25l instead of the 15l and tripod can be mounted on the side of it): http://lowealpine.com/uk/shop/mens/hiking/airzone-z-15-2

Shoulder/messenger bag: https://www.lowepro.co.uk/categories/products-event-messenger/event-messenger-150/pd199/249/

Thanks

I think it depends on how serious the mountains/hills are - personal safety should always take priority.
It's not just the big mountains; remoteness also needs proper consideration.
My preference is to use a large-ish expedition rucksack with the camera gear stuffed in padded waterproof bags bunged in the top.
The Manfrotto tripod fits in the ice axe loops with the head tucking under the hood.

The key thing is to have the camera handy as the light changes incredibly fast.
I use a pouch slipped over the rucksack belt. When it starts to rain the pouch goes in the top of the rucksack.

A torch.

Reading the reports from the Llyn Ogwen mountain rescue team is interesting; a significant number of the otherwise well-equipped rescuees just ran out of daylight and would have been fine if they'd had a good torch. Given that you're likely to be there at either end of the day, that would seem essential.

Otherwise the usual stuff - whistle, water, waterproofs, spare layers, map, compass, ability to use them.

Oh, I use the 22L version of one of these:

http://www.lowepro.com/photo-hatchback-aw

m4/3 body, couple of lenses & sandwiches in the bottom, tripod attached to the outside, hiking stuff in the top. If not raining then the camera is attached to a peak capture clip on the shoulder strap of the rucksack.

Disclaimer: I am not really a landscape photographer.

My strategy was always a robust backpack of about 35 or 40l capacity - one that was as water-resistant as possible (I usually found that Macpac products using their Aztec fabric were far the best in this regard). A pack without side pockets is an advantage when scrambling / climbing since it's less likely to snag on the rock and tip you over.

Camera body and lens would be in a pouch with strap that could be carried round the neck and shoulder, or stuffed inside the backpack when scrambling or in heavy / driving rain.

It's possible that a tripod as big as a Manfrotto 190 might squeeze height-wise into a 35l pack, or it could be carried outside using the facilities for ice axe / walking poles, but remember the proviso about side pockets above in this regard.

@Duncan - I'm only starting out so the hills won't be too challenging in terms of climb. I'll probably be starting off on ones that are smaller than munros and working my way up. I'll be there early morning for sunrise and will be back in the car before night. I'll keep an eye out for these kind of bags. Thanks for the reply :)

@Simon - All those are on my list especially my torch just in case :). It looks like a good bag and something I'd probably purchase. I'll be looking into these kinds of bags. Appreciate the info :)

I use a LowePro FastPack 350. Camera kit goes in the bottom (padded and divided) section and clothes go in the top. I don't put any liquids in the bag just in case but do carry sarnies in the top if required.

Unfortunately decent photo-rucksacs for carrying equipment and other gear are rare, infact I haven't managed to find one I was 100% happy with even having tried VERY expensive F Stop and Clik Elite options.

I went the "self customised" route.. I use the previous version of this.. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lowe-alpine-airzone-pro-35-45-rucksack-p269841

It has a large side pocket, great for quick gear access and in there I bought 2 large padded inserts (one fits inside the other for protection) from Ebay & reinforced one with some 1.2mm aluminium sheet. It works an absolute treat.. great airflow back system with comfortable harness, loads of room for other gear above padded insert and quick access to camera/filters/batteries etc through the side access panel

Simon

I dont use a camera backpack as i've never found one which left me enough room for non camera gear. I think i use one of these..
http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/070622-osprey-ariel-65l-rucksack-red.html I havnt had it out the cupboard for a while so im not 100% sure. But the big plus for me is that is has a curved back so it lifts the pack off your back and lets some air through. Im sweating like a turkish wrestler by the time i get to the top of some hills so this helps evaporate things. This and some merino tops make life so much comfier. Make sure you sort the straps out properly to balance the load as that makes a world of difference!

I have a stout monopod which doubles up as a walking stick and with the camera screwed in to the top i dont really feel the effects of carrying the camera in the bag.

Other than that i have a garmin GPS, regular compass and maps, whistles , first aid kit, torch, food, drink and wet weather gear.

if anyone has a garmin then i can recommend their Basecamp app, runs on the pc and lets you plot walks and download them to your device. Brilliant tool and free!

My tips are not so much as to which bag but general hill climbing safety (I have climbed in Europe and the UK for 20 plus years)

1. Plan your route
2.Make sure you can read a map and use a compass
3 Inform some one of your route - stick to that route work out from your map average pace and stop times for photos you can then give information as to expected arrival back at your start point
4 Buy an exposure bag http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/survival-bag-p152245 doubles up as a waterproof seat You can get yourself and your gear inside and ride the worst of the weather.
5 Torch and whistle (tip mount the whistle to your bag where you can reach it in case you fall little point having a pocket and you cannot reach it in a fall !
6 Wet Weather clothing and thin layers of clothing Event Gortex etc are good at repelling water
7 glo sticks good in an emergency
8 Always check the weather forecast on http://www.mwis.org.uk/ or http://www.mountain-forecast.com/

Personal experience taught me many years ago to be prepared (Fellow climber fell 40 ft and broke leg and arm but because of the above we had 90% control over the situation) Enjoy the hills but stay safe.

Last edited:
I'll second the various comments about map and compass above - they are the essential bottom line. Never totally rely on a gps - electronics / batteries can fail mid-trip.

Another tip is to pack stuff in individual dry bags and label them up that way when you want something you haven't got to get every thing out and wet. Also even if a rucksack is marketed as a 100% waterproof remember there is always a large hole in the top. I tend to keep it split up into Hats and gloves, down jacket, socks and camera kit.. Everything else in the bag is either waterproof anyway or not affected by water. On a 'normal' summer hillday in England I tend to carry:

1. Map/compass/mapcase,
2. Waterproof coat
3. Waterproof trousers,
4. Torch (with spare battery)
5. Whistle
6. Warm hat and a spare,
7. Gloves (warm ones, wind proof ones and waterproof ones)
8. 3 x pairs glove liners ( if it's really horrible weather I change theses to stop my hands getting cold)
9. Spare socks,
10. Pertex 'down' jacket,
11. Roll mat (if you put this inside you bag around the outside it help keep the bag upright and protects stuff inside) the main reason I carry this is a) somthing to sit on and b) if you have a casualty it can give the somthing to lie down on and reduce heat loss.
12. First aid kit. + knowledge
13. 2 man shelter
14. Blizzard bag
15. Platypus (water carrier )
16. Food and snacks.
17. A bag to get it all in (in my case a Deuter futura 32).

This Is my basic kit that I think is a good starting point, Others may differ.

I'll second the various comments about map and compass above - they are the essential bottom line.

Only if you have the ability to read them.

Personally leaving route, departure & arrival times with another contact helps avoid what happened in the U.S.

I'd add a Swiss Army Knife, and 10 - 15m of paracord. Snacks (biltong, energy bars, nuts and chocolate) are all good, and can be important if you have an accident or get lost!

A GPS is good, but they run on batteries and can fail. Maps and a compass don't, but learn how to use them properly.

One other possibly important thing to add to all the excellent advice above is a good pair of broken in and therefore comfortable boots - preferably waterproof and breathable for me :)

Why does everyone forget a towel?
THHGTTG was correct. You need a towel.
Useful for kneeling on, sitting on, drying stuff.
If it's so-so weather, a plastic bag is useful too- to keep your knees dry, to put under your towel for sitting, or to put a wet towel in. :)

After decades of hill walking I find these are actually indispensible.

Why does everyone forget a towel?
THHGTTG was correct. You need a towel.
Useful for kneeling on, sitting on, drying stuff.
If it's so-so weather, a plastic bag is useful too- to keep your knees dry, to put under your towel for sitting, or to put a wet towel in. :)

After decades of hill walking I find these are actually indispensible.
LOL - technically I didn't :)
I use a micro-fleece towel as padding in one of the dry bags - great for drying the camera off if it gets wet.

Cigarette lighter and small piece of polystyrene could potentially be very handy for firelighting

important bit of missing advice is get fit!
I live near the mountains and like to run/climb in them in the light dark etc.
I enjoy going out and getting pics much more when I have plenty of hill fitness so carting the stuff around doesn't feel like a chore.
I would suggest ditching the camera gear and getting yourself comfortable in the environment. There are a lot of guides etc who will teach you how to be safe and map read properly.

The OP may well be fit, but it's a good point. You're more likely to have an accident (fall, slip) if you're knackered.

Weight is my deciding factor and I've learned the hard way to take only the bare minimum.
Bearing in mind that my most arduous walking is on the South Downs Way or similar, and is done during the winter, I want to enjoy the walk as well as enjoy taking photographs, so I take only the barest of essentials.
If there is a particular scene I want to photograph in this area I can usually get fairly close to it by car or bus and then carry heavier/more equipment than I would on a longer hike.
I pre-check battery is 0 rated and fully charged, I no longer carry a spare battery.
Nikon D7000
18-200mm lens
Filter holder
Polariser + 2 ND filters
Remote
Tripod (4lb) (I'd rather take my Monopod (1lb) which doubles as walking staff but ...)
My bag is a Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW , it's very comfortable and comes with an attached fold out waterproof cover
Also it has outer net pockets into which a small water bottle fits
OS Landranger map, compass, whistle and carrier
Foldaway umbrella
Light but tough waterproof golf suit with hood
Small towel
Thermal mittens
Thermal headband and spare hat
Head torch
Spare handkerchief
Swiss army knife (L + s blades, corkscrew, screwdriver, tin/bottle opener)
Heel size plasters (which I have never needed but probably will now that I have mentioned them)
Lighter (ditto)
2 sandwiches and some chocolate bars
Miniature Cognac
1 bin bag and a small plastic bag (ground sheet/seat cover)

FWIW like others above I just use an ordinary rucksack and put my gear inside in neoprene covers. I would say with the exception of a map and compass only take things you know how to use, a map and compass are essential and if you don't know how to read them then learn. In 40 years of fell walking I have never had to light a fire, on a British mountain it seems pretty unlikely to me that you would find sufficient dry fuel. As someone said above take a decent head torch with fresh batteries, you may be planning to come down before dark but you never know and why miss that great sunset. Take a BIG thick plastic bag, you can sit on it, cut arm-holes in it and wear it, use it as a rucksack liner, put it over camera/tripod when the showers start.

I'm inclined to agree about trying to light fires on mountains/hills in this country. If you really think you might want/have to prepare a hot drink or food, carry a Pocket Rocket or one of the other tiny gas stoves, but a small flask of tea would usually be fine. We can go on adding gear until we reach the point where there's no room for the photographic equipment!

On that subject, back in SA I'd add a handgun if i was going into the more remote parts of the Drakensberg, but that shouldn't really be necessary in the UK either...

Nearly two dozen replies and I don't think anyone has mentioned taking a mobile phone yet.

Whether this is just assumed to be an essential item whether up Scarfell Pike or shopping in Tesco and therefore doesn't require a mention, or if its seen as "cheating" by hardcore hikers I'm not sure, but I'm surprised by it's absence.

Either way, I always take one - very few places of complete wilderness in the UK where a 2G signal isn't available.

I know of plenty of places in England, let alone Scotland, where a mobile phone won't get a signal, there is only a Vodafone signal at my house, other networks don't work. Mountain Rescue Teams have often advised against relying on them.

+1
Radio waves and mountains don't mix. Very rare to get a signal apart from when near the summits.
Worth carrying one just in case it works when you need it; but never rely on a phone.
Also worth remembering that cold and poor signal dramatically shorten battery life; I recommend turning it off until you need it.

Oh - I'm not suggesting that a mobile phone should be relied upon - no piece of battery powered equipment should be seen as infallible, and I know that in some circles their use is controversial - inexperienced walkers using them as a crutch at the slightest whim and causing issues for rescue services. I was just saying that I would pack one in preference to the aforementioned revolver or miniature bottle of brandy! :)

PS - I would also agree to keep it switched off - not just to save batteries, but to avoid the intrusion of modern living spoiling peace and quiet in the mountains.

Good advice already here. If you want to learn map and compass work, and if you are going into the hills anywhere, it is essential have a look at Mountain Navigation by Peter Cliff. It is a slim volume but excellent, so much so that the British Moutaineering Council says of it, "It is because he writes from such valid experience that this book is so admirably and markedly superior to anything else on the subject."

Dave

Gear-wise, you should have a serious look at Peak Design's Capture clip. It is an awesome piece of gear, weighs next to nothing and provides access to the camera almost instantly. http://goo.gl/TnoASt
I also use the Pro Speed belt from ThinkTank http://goo.gl/2eNrBH the Capture clip can either mate to that, or go on the shoulder strap of the rucksack. The beauty of the Pro Speed Belt, is that it is very well padded and it takes a load off your back. I use a mish-mash of pouches and lens cases from LowePro, as I already had them. Thinktank do some very good pouches http://goo.gl/BJlXWJ that are compatible with the belt.
This system ensures that everything is to hand almost instantly, saves having to take off and open rucksack, by which time the light has gone.
It's a really great way of working. To the extent that I was doing a workshop in the Haute Alps in June with a pro photographer - http://www.alexbuisse.com/ and he is using exactly the same system.
Really worth a look into.

Back