What is a XMP file?

Name
James Stockton
Edit My Images
Yes
Please can someone shed some light into what these may be? The appear to be cropping up all over the show, seems they appear just after I have edited a RAW file? Also one I have edited a RAW file, even if I dont save the changes, the changes still seem to apply when opening the image up? Is there a way to stop this?

Thanking you!

I believe they contain the edits for the RAW file. The RAW file remains unchanged, but when you open it, it takes the information from the XMP as the processing settings.

Ah, that makes sense. I dont mind them being there if that the case but is there a way to stop it taking the information from the xmp files each time the image is opened?

I believe they contain the edits for the RAW file. The RAW file remains unchanged, but when you open it, it takes the information from the XMP as the processing settings.

:agree:

EDIT Beaten to it. I guess if you delete them or move them (perhaps temporarily) that would get round it. There must be an easier way tho

I have been deleting them so far, gets a bit anoying though. If I wanted to save the changes, I would have clicked on save the changes :LOL: Like you say though, must be a way around it.

I`ve wondered what the hell they are for some while now, thanks for letting me know.

If I wanted to save the changes, I would have clicked on save the changes :LOL:

You'd have thought wouldn't you, but it does seem to be an automated process. Being new to raw there's probaby a good reason why it does this, I just haven't found it yet.:)

Its so you dont destroy the origonal data.. it it was to change the RAW file then ud be stumped if you decided you didnt like it.. this way if you dont likr the changes you make then you just delete the XMP and start again.. also, if you wanted to do different versions of the image you could store any amount of XMP files and load the accordingly..

Im very new to this too as i found out the hard way what they were!! i had edited in the region of 130+ images and when id finished i saw these extra files.. thinking they were junk i just deleted them.. it wasnt untill i was half way through re- editing them that i found out!!! i just restored em from my recycle bin.. :bonk:

i wondered this question, and figured it out myself just this weekend :D

Its so you dont destroy the origonal data.. it it was to change the RAW file then ud be stumped if you decided you didnt like it.. this way if you dont likr the changes you make then you just delete the XMP and start again.. also, if you wanted to do different versions of the image you could store any amount of XMP files and load the accordingly..

I see what you mean I just thought perhaps naively that it would open the adjusted image in PShop and leave the RAW (neg) as shot in camera.

It does just open the RAW as shot in camera, unless you've made changes, then you get the XMP aswell as the RAW file.. The thing to remember is that the RAW file never changes.. it will remain AS SHOT but if you've chnged it the XMP plays its part.. if you delete the XMP PS will open the image as it was shot, cos you've got rid of the changes file..
I wish i was better at explaining things.. lol..

I understand what it does now, but is there a way to stop it doing what it does unless you specifically want it to?

It does just open the RAW as shot in camera, unless you've made changes, then you get the XMP aswell as the RAW file.. The thing to remember is that the RAW file never changes.. it will remain AS SHOT but if you've chnged it the XMP plays its part.. if you delete the XMP PS will open the image as it was shot, cos you've got rid of the changes file..
I wish i was better at explaining things.. lol..

That makes sense and once you've worked out that the original file is still there it's ok. I'd just like to have the choice to open the raw again with pre change settings, without having to delete or move the XMP file. A box that asks if you want to open as shot or with XMP info if you see what I mean. :)

that would be a good idea, i was working on some old RAW's last night and i did think about the pre- processed image.. i couldnt be bothered to delete the XMP ect, so yes, an option, like a tick box that would switch the adjustments on and off.. like the preview tick box you'de use in any other Ps adjustment..

You could try this.

When you open an image in Camera Raw, just below the histogram panel, to the right hand side under the icons on the same bar as the word Basic is a small symbol. a row of 3 ._

Click on this symbol to reveal a dialog box.

From here you can select what CR does with the image using presets. One option is to use default settings. Now provided you haven't changed these, they will be the normal settings you started with, in other words resetting the xmp file to original settings.

You can also use the previous settings to go back one stage if you want to.. Plus other options as well.

Back