What is happening with all the Leica Rings?

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
OK so the title is odd buy bear with me.
I have just recently decided to try the Panasonic Leica 15mm for my Olympus EM5-Mk2.
So off to find one and MPB have one listed as new with packaging accessories at a reasonable price.

Order delivered and unpacked and ummmm, some bits missing here.
Firstly the little lens bag is not there and also the little ring that fits to the end of the lens when the hood isn't fitted is absent.

So I email MPB and ask and I get the answer, both of these items were not listed as present on the add and we don't have an spare.
So I am returning the lens as I at least want the cover ring for the end of the lens.

So I go back to MPBs website and I list all the other versions of this lens they have for sale and voila not one listing has the leica decorative cover ring present?

So my question is what is happening to all these leica rings?

My thoughts are.

1. All the original owners lose them? (unlikely I feel given how well we look after our kit)
2. Do the original owners keep them or flog them on ebay? (Maybe although I couldn't find one for sale).
3. Is some one at MPB collecting them, perhaps realising there could be a lucrative market for them down the line?

I am returning mine and I will buy a new one from Amazon as I really do want a leica ring.

I must have gotten lucky, the one I bought from MPB had the front 'beauty ring' and pouch inc. I traded it back into them with the ring and pouch still inc along with the hood, rubber hood cover, both end caps and box. I have seen them on there minus the hood, rubber cover, the ring, pouch and even the box! I do wonder what the heck people are doing with these extras?

I must have gotten lucky, the one I bought from MPB had the front 'beauty ring' and pouch inc. I traded it back into them with the ring and pouch still inc along with the hood, rubber hood cover, both end caps and box. I have seen them on there minus the hood, rubber cover, the ring, pouch and even the box! I do wonder what the heck people are doing with these extras?

And that's the thing Keith most people I imagine would leave them in the pack when they trade them in.
If you take the one I have (being returned ) and the 4x for sale on the MPB site that is 5 lenses with no rings?

And that's the thing Keith most people I imagine would leave them in the pack when they trade them in.
If you take the one I have (being returned ) and the 4x for sale on the MPB site that is 5 lenses with no rings?

Yeah it's odd, I never actually used the ring, just left it in the box and the box went in a press I have pretty much just for that purpose - empty boxes :D they're always safe in there. I just kept the hood on mine all the time.

I’ve just been reading a review of this lens after trying to see which ring it is you’re walking about. Funnily enough, the reviewer didn’t get the ring when he bought his second hand either :LOL:

I’ve just been reading a review of this lens after trying to see which ring it is you’re walking about. Funnily enough, the reviewer didn’t get the ring when he bought his second hand either :LOL:

basically its a ring which covers the bayonet hood threads on the end of the lens when the hood is not fitted.
it looks fugly without it.

It's not a must have if you use the hood all the time, but if you like to use the lens without it makes the lens a little better looking, it is cosmetic only really.

It's not a must have if you use the hood all the time, but if you like to use the lens without it makes the lens a little better looking, it is cosmetic only really.

Think is I like to use screw hoods rather than the bayonet hoods.
buy hey ho

basically its a ring which covers the bayonet hood threads on the end of the lens when the hood is not fitted.
it looks fugly without it.

Yes I know that now :) he had a picture without the ring and i agree it does look a little unfinished.

He rated the lens though, my fancy keeps tipping towards MFT for personal use and this lens looks like it could be a good one to go for if I ever did. Bodies wise I haven’t the foggiest where to start though :LOL:

Yes I know that now :) he had a picture without the ring and i agree it does look a little unfinished.

He rated the lens though, my fancy keeps tipping towards MFT for personal use and this lens looks like it could be a good one to go for if I ever did. Bodies wise I haven’t the foggiest where to start though :LOL:

If you're looking for a lens for stealthy street shooting it's hard to beat. It's tiny! But delivers cracking sharp images with great contrast and colour saturation. I only traded mine as I found the FL a little limiting, I wanted a more 'one-for-all' lens and traded for the Olympus 12-40 2.8. If I could have, I'd have had both. As for a body to go with, the GX80 is the perfect pairing IMO

If you're looking for a lens for stealthy street shooting it's hard to beat. It's tiny! But delivers cracking sharp images with great contrast and colour saturation. I only traded mine as I found the FL a little limiting, I wanted a more 'one-for-all' lens and traded for the Olympus 12-40 2.8. If I could have, I'd have had both. As for a body to go with, the GX80 is the perfect pairing IMO

Now you’ve got me thinking :D I’m a big fan of my 35mm on full frame so I think it would be a good focal length for me. GX80 would probably be about right too, and doesn’t need to break the bank.

Sorry OP for the thread hijack, I’ll let the thread get back on track now :D

Is it a tight fit? A couple of my lenses (Olympus and Panasonic) have these, I nearly lost one due to being a bit clumsy unscrewing it while zooming so took it off and put it in the box.
If they're easy to detach then perhaps they just get lost or broken?
I lost my hot shoe cover putting the camera in a bag and never replaced it.

I got a quote from MPB for a body and on the checklist it asked for a video lead that wasn't included in the original kit.
Unchecking it knocked down the price but there were extras that weren't listed that could have been included or excluded so my guess is this type of thing doesn't affect the trade in value so there's little incentive to find and send it in.

Back