What is photography to you

Name
stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Whats the first thought that come into your mind?

stew

Fun.

I shoot what appeals to me, and sometimes find that it may appeal to others as well.

freedom

Freedom to think of somthing other than work, freedom to express myself.

reducing bank balance and often frustration mixed with satisfaction!

A hobby, fun, a massive learning experience and as expensive as Astronomy... not popular :D

Creativeness (if that's a word). It's the only thing i've found that uses my creative side with anywhere like decent results.

S

A release from daily crap, the ability to tap into an artistic side I never knew existed and the pleasure of seeing someting over and aver again that you appreciated the first time you say it.

Relief. (steady!) Solitude. Peace. Challenge. Learning. Escape. Fun. Awe. Humiliation.......

Expression

Its the closest I can get to being the artist I wanted to be (unfortunately I can't draw)

Photography is my own little bubble I can escape into when I get fed up with everyone and everything else around me, I disappear for hours on end sometimes a couple of days as long as I have a charge in my battery and fuel in the tank I do not tend to worry where I end up.

Sometimes I might not take that many pictures but I just end up walking for hours, I guess photography is a take it or leave it pass time for me in many aspect, I can can go a day or a week with out doing any photography but I am always imagining the images and remembering the locations for a re-visit. Its also a solitary or group activity, I initially got into photography after getting divorced and wanting something to do with my time apart from my full blown attempts to pickle my liver in the shortest time going.

One thing I find great about photography is the site and the friends I made on here since joining, It is a great place for gathering critique, ideas, PP skills and technical knowledge.

Think that just about sums it up..

Fun, relaxation and frustration - not necessarily in that order :LOL:

For me photography is snapping that image of a tiny bit of history thats yours for ever, also its an expression of what you see and your own creativeness ( have to agree it is a word now steve!)

ALso passion has to come into it, other wise we would be out there taking our pics in the first place, but there are so many opinons on what photography is but then again maybe photography can be summed up as an opinon as not everyone will like your shot, but joe next door might love it :)

all the best
Matt :)

Expression

Its the closest I can get to being the artist I wanted to be (unfortunately I can't draw)

thats about it for me to..

i see things in my head that i could never put onto paper not in the same way..

now i can get that image from my mind to the paper infront of me....

md(y)

^^^^ All of the above.

It's also a way of showing my creativeness (Yup its a word creativeness - noun - the ability to create - from dictionary.com). I cannot paint or draw or anything like that so I do it through photography!

Photography is an addition to my interests, which are mainly motorsports and aviation. So it naturally has an affinity with those topics and enhances the experience.

However, I never let the photo taking get in the way of enjoying these events, I spend most of my time viewing or taking part. Photography captures the best moments, but is a means to an end.

Edward

thats about it for me to..

i see things in my head that i could never put onto paper not in the same way..

now i can get that image from my mind to the paper infront of me....

md(y)

I dunno about you mate, but I am well and trully struggling ;)

For me, photography is something which is shared between my wife and I - it's part of our relationship.
That's the first thing I think of when I consider what photography is to me.

A Fun hobby which shows a different side to things that you may have prviously overlooked

Stress relief at its best.
I leave my business behind and everything/body else when I'm out with my gear. Just happy to sit on the tailgate waiting for my next shot. Heaven.

Hi

Some really interesting answers. It goes to show just how many things photography means to so many people

stew

Photography to me is the ability to capture a sceene, person or moment for prosterity... but at the same time make someone who does not have a real/ family involvement in the memory interested in looking at it!

It's also my hobby... and a joint interest of me and my fiancee which is always good!

M

Stress relief at its best.
I leave my business behind and everything/body else when I'm out with my gear. Just happy to sit on the tailgate waiting for my next shot. Heaven.

:agree: couldn't have described it better....and on that note, I am off out for afew hours stress relief :wave:

I think the posts so far have more or less mentioned every reason I love photography.
The more I get into it the more I think that one day I would also like to be able to make a living from it.
However, if I am totally honest and realistic, I don't think this will happen for various reasons.
This doesn't matter as I will always continue to enjoy photography.
I get a great feeling when I have learned something new and it helps me to produce a better quality photo and when friends and family tell me I have taken a photo that they really, like it fills me with a fantastic sense of achievement.
Us Pisceans are supposed to be very creative and over the years I’ve tried various forms of the arts and never felt that I could master any of them.
I hope the same doesn’t eventually apply to photography.

For me, as a part-time journalist, photography is part of my work as well as my leisure. It also gets me away from the wife for a bit!
Andy.

Back