what is that old camera that was produced by the soviets

Name
Richard Wong
Edit My Images
No
i saw it on BBC a while back, where there is thing old film camera that was mass produced in the soviet era.

the characteristic of the lens is that it produced sharp centre focus but blur all around...

i can't remember what's the name of the make, apparently they are reproducing these cameras.

I tried google but not having a starting point is kind like trying to find something in pitch black.

thanks

Was it a roll film camera or 35mm?

If it's a roll film model, it could be the Lubitel, twin lens reflex, like a Rolleiflex.

You could try looking here to see if it's shown: http://www.sovietcams.com/

Last edited:
Zeniths had reasonably good lenses - many moons ago I produced some good results using the same Zenith lens both on the camera and the enlarger - for fuzziness you'll want a Lomo

You can buy a lomo in Urban Outfitters, beware of hipsters wearing neckerchiefs and pork pie hats though.

Despite being anything but a hipster, I have a Lomo. Not the MF one that gives the poor IQ, intrusive vignetting etc as loved by many users but the 135 film fisheye one. It's currently on loan to BSM and then off on its travels! Anyone interested in a play with fisheyes should seek out the thread in the Film section.

I just sold one of these on ebay. It was a superb camera, dont know about the soft edges, mine was pretty sharp all over the frame. My Daughter used it for her A levels.
Allan

very tempted to get myself one. but needing to learn to develop films otherwise it won't be much good

you'll never make a hipster with that attitude. They are not for actually taking photos but just to carry around for effect. :)

Zeniths had reasonably good lenses - many moons ago I produced some good results using the same Zenith lens both on the camera and the enlarger - for fuzziness you'll want a Lomo

The 58mm f2 that was supplied with the majority of Zenit SLR's is quite a sharp lens, likely because it was a copy of a Zeiss lens! It does also have some quite nice bokeh (I'll dig out and scan a negative later to illustrate what I mean)

You can get some great results with Zenits, even the rudimentary external selenium cell on the pentaprism of my Zenit EM was good enough to meter for some slide film (which is notoriously exposure sensitive) that I put through it a couple of years ago and only a couple of them came out seriously over/underexposed, the great majority were fairly well exposed.

Once you got your lomo you will have to get a fixed wheel (fixie) bike to get around on.

There are lots of plastic lens cameras out there that will give you similar results but at a 10th of the price. Google lomography its lots around.

Last edited:
why fixie?

i hate fixies, so impractical

also i never have developed film but always wanted to learn. the digital processing great and i like playing around. but somehow i think i will find the dark room experience more rewarding

Last edited:
Back