What is the aim of photography?

• Thread starter PhotographyBuff
  • Start date
P

PhotographyBuff

I am asking the question at the broadest level. So I would prefer answers that consider the philosophical and artistic aspects of photography rather than the everyday practical ones. "Did God intend for man to take photos? If so, why?" would be another way to consider the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't believe in a god so that's me out of this debate.

Is this someone's homework?

Photography captures images. What philosophy or art you put behind that is up to you. There is scope for considerable artifice or affectation if the image isn't adequate in itself.

Alternatively, more literally, the aim of photography is that thing you want to take the picture of!!

To get a exposure that everyone on here likes. :p

+1 another member who don't believe in God :)

Last edited:
I think you need a scruffy beard and big glasses to answer this one..

Did god intend us to do anything?

thats presuming theres a god.. which anyone with a brain fully understands there isn't

Photography to me..

I do not count myself a photographer, just a plonker with a camera.

Photography captures a snapshot or motion in time, shows the good and bad in people, makes you aware of the environment around us and how us as humans have shaped it.

Did god say "let there be light?" and there was light?

We need to capture it somehow.

Photography is what saves Earth from destruction.

Ever since the first photograph was taken by Leonardo Da Vinci, who used both the time machine and the camera he invented to create the image we now call the Turin Shroud, aliens from distant stars - and even galaxies - have been purchasing photos of our planet, as Earth has been coming top of the 'Most Attractive Planet in Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha' polls for most of the last 10,000 Earth years.

Of course this has caused considerable jealousy among those from less attractive planets, and the Green Ink Overlords have been paying squadrons of inter-stellar mercenaries in photographs to protect Earth. Some of these are using Galactic Federation surplus flying saucers with dodgy cloaking devices, which is how the sightings of UFOs and 'orbs' sometimes show up on photos.

The aliens use a special ray to influence people into taking the sort of photos they favour, which is why people are unable to stop taking pictures of light trails, smoky water, over-cooked HRD, spot colour, and car-rig shots. This makes sense as no rational person would dream of taking such pictures otherwise.

I hope this helps.

I do not count myself a photographer, just a plonker with a camera.

I thought thats what we all are...

I dont think the OP is going to be happy when he comes back.....giggle giggle :)

I am asking the question at the broadest level. So I would prefer answers that consider the philosophical and artistic aspects of photography rather than the everyday practical ones. "Did God intend for man to take photos? If so, why?" would another way to consider the question.

What does your god (or any given deity of choice) have to do with photography?

Thats why they call it philisophical or whatever.. your suposed to tell us :)

Definitely no God, plenty of science to prove that ;-)

A photo is what we want to portray to another, yes there are people who like the snapshots but I prefer to mess with that thing called the exposure triangle to bring out those colours that we can't see normally. I like the idea of taking a photo and helping the bride remember her day from a different perspective, I like to be the one that helps a couple remember the newborn moment, I am Canon :)

Bit of a pointless thread but I guess we all have homework (my homework consists of new adverts and making sure dinner is on the table for my wife when she gets home) - She thinks it's a perk working from home but doing the gardening and answering calls 24-7 does get boring! And my weekend consists of hard work but all in all I wouldn't change it at all and I bet every other Tog on here agrees!

I said it would be a way to consider the question! If you don't believe in God, or don't want to involve God in it, then just ask: What does man have to do with photography? Or what does photography have to do with man? Those would be yet other ways to consider the question!

Last edited by a moderator:
Photography serves two purpose for me, it capture an experience or event for record purposes and secondly it's an art form.

For me, it is simply a way to capture a given moment in time.

photography is an excuse to go to zoos - i'm obviously too hard and manly to just go to see the fluffeh kittehs

If a man with no brain may be allowed to voice an opinion....

Photography has no aim at all. Photographers have aims, and those aims are probably slightly different for every one of us, and significantly different in many cases.

photography serves a valuable societal purpose

if photography did not exist there would be no TP

if there was no TP there would be no staff room

if there was no staff room the green team would be released into the community ... :whistle:

For me, it is simply a way to capture a given moment in time.

I used to think the same, until I read the findings of Jon's scientific research a few posts above
I'm now convinced the aliens are directing beams at me, willing me to take photos of gorgeous models on a sunny beach
Do I need to buy a tinfoil hat? ;)

if a picture is taken with no one there to see it , does it exist ? :LOL:

if there was no staff room the green team would be released into the community ... :whistle:

To mix with the Devon natives. WHo knows where that would lead....... :exit:

To mix with the Devon natives. WHo knows where that would lead....... :exit:

11 toes :LOL:

(incidentally I'm not a Devon native - I'm from Buckinghamshire originally - I can however drink, fight, and drive a tractor so I pass the citizenship test ;) )

(incidentally I'm not a Devon native - I'm from Buckinghamshire originally - I can however drink, fight, and drive a tractor so I pass the citizenship test ;) )

Not to mention the intimate relationships with sheep :D

Not to mention the intimate relationships with sheep :D

nah you have me confused with a man of kent

down here if you interfere with a sheep, you have to marry it ;)

nah you have me confused with a man of kent

down here if you interfere with a sheep, you have to marry it ;)

You have a man of Kent confused with a Kentish Man :D

photography serves a valuable societal purpose

if photography did not exist there would be no TP

if there was no TP there would be no staff room

One would also have to consider the consequences of a large PINK thing on the loose or should that be Loo`s :LOL:

someone better mention photography before the banter :police: arrive

I have a photo of a sheep :)

so we're saying that the aim of photography is to fleece the customer ? or is it to ram your style in peoples faces... no wonder so many take it tup

Back