What is the Best way create ghosts using double exposure ?

Edit My Images
Yes
O.k I'll explain my thinking, A number of years ago a friend of mine who was known as a little mad (A lot mad really !) started to go out Ghost hunting (it really is surprising how many other people we bumped into doing the same thing), as I was at college as a mature student doing electronic servicing and electrical installation I had plenty of time and no money so I went out with him quite a lot in order to provide a little entertainment for myself, He was convinced that his digital camera was picking up spirits in the form of orbs and sometimes as strange shapes in the mist. Add to this I can remember news articals as a kid where people had claimed to have photographed ghosts and then other people had blamed it on use of double exposure fakery.I recently had a go at double exposure and have decided to have another go with a little more effort. The idea is to create a ghost photo of a friend or grandchild of mine and place them in another location most likeley an old building . My thinking tells me to get the photo of the person first on a dark background (or should I go white back ground) and then the old building. Is it best to try and do the two photos in the same light ? Any thoughts on how to do this would be really appreciated. I will be using one of my Russian Cosmic cameras and colour film.

Thanks everyone.

ghost.jpg

Last edited:
electronic servicing and electrical installation, blimey, that takes me back, that was my part 1 city & guilds in the 80's.

I think your subject on a dark bg is a good idea, it will leave some latitude for imposing your second exposure new environment, hopefully some of which will bleed through your subject on the 1st exposure.
Its worth noting where your subject is in the frame so you can place them relative to their new surroundings.

Well I usually get ghosts by accident :LOL: but to get two of something you could use a holder (e.g. Cokin) that has a dark slide which you cover half the lens then take a shot then cover the other half of the lens and take another shot...and maybe if you play around e.g. with exposure could get a ghost effect.
NXq0EB3.jpg

Off the top of my head John I hadn't even thought about remembering where the subject was, good point ! I like you effect Brian I'd do that with the wife but the results would terrify me !

Off the top of my head John I hadn't even thought about remembering where the subject was, good point ! I like you effect Brian I'd do that with the wife but the results would terrify me !

:D well I did others like my son shaking hands with himself and another boxing but it's just another thing to play with using film when it's cold outside.

Spot the difference ?
gHqjWe1.jpg

I'll start by making a (dangerous!) assumption - that you can do double exposures with the body you're planning on using (can sometimes be done by holding the rewind button in while winding on). If so, take the primary shot (? building) and make a rough sketch so you know where the elements of the shot are (dark windows, doorways etc.) then set the camera for the second shot (the "ghost"). Get the ghost against a black background and shoot them using direct flash, underexposing by a stop or 2 so any detail from the primary shot will show through the ghost. Make good notes as to exactly how you took the shot(s) so you can repeat at will or use as a basis for further experimentation.

Good luck!

Back