What is the difference / Benefit ?

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone tell me the difference or perhaps the benefits of using this one Nikon AF-S TC-20E III 2x Aspherical Teleconverter against the Nikon AF-S TC-20E II 2x Aspherical Teleconverter.

Thanks

You get an extra I and possibly a bell or a whistle.

A very quick google says the II is near enough a paperweight and the III reduces your income tax, improves your handwriting, cures disease & is optically amazing.
You forgot to say that the II will turn you lens into beer goggles, and the III will turn you into a sex god.

Optical quality with newer lenses mainly, however I personally wouldn’t use either the 1.7 or 2.0 TCs in the F mount as they just degrade the image too much for my tastes. I used the TC14III extensively when I shot nikon with my 400 f2.8 and 500 f4 lenses then the vastly better TC125 which only works with the 800 f5.6.

The newer Z version of the 2x TC is much better but only works on the Z glass though

The 2.0 II is of a very poor optical quality, whereas if you need a 2x the 2.0 III would be the one to go for.

No idea, but here's a quote from my new book on beginner photography that may or may not help you . . .

This specific product is designed to fit a camera on which the lens can’t be changed, and it magnifies the image by 1.4 times, so perhaps it could be useful?

No, because the simple truth of the matter is that if you want to magnify the image by 1.4 times it’s far easier to do that on a computer. As discussed above, image cropping always reduces image quality but will reduce it far less than by fitting a lens converter!
You also need to be aware that the 1.4 times image magnification results in an effective loss of maximum aperture of one stop, and a 2 times image magnification results in an effect loss of two stops, effectively changing the maximum aperture of a f/4 lens into f/8.

I mention lens converters only because a lot of them are offered for sale on the used market at low prices. Back in the days of 35mm film cameras they were possibly useful and so people try to sell the ones that they used to use, but digital has changed that.

Garry has laid out well the disadvantages.
The main reason to use a converter is to maintain pixels on the subject.
As has been noted, cropping reduces them. So it's a trade off.

The ones you mentioned are Nikon F mount. The 2.0 (both versions) were poor - the 1.4 is OK and quite a lot of wildlife togs still use this with their Nikon 500mm PF's on their mirrorless cameras.

Thank you for the last four comments, makes sense really, just thought i might be able to get away with the 1.7 or 2x.
Think i will blow my budget and go for a 500mm, working with my D750.

Back