What is the photograph you are bored rigid from seeing

Someone once observed that a music lover uses their hi-fi to listen to music, an audiophile uses music to listen to their hi-fi.

Perhaps there's a parallel?

If there is, I have been, and will be, guilty of both.

That's a quality observation.

I'm often distracted from music I'm listening to by how great I think my hifi gear is.
I too have done the "Wow this lens is great" thing whilst totally ignoring the image content.

Curiously enough, some people don’t like some things and other people don’t like different things, and some people don't have strong opinions on it, who would have thought that we are all different? You’ll just have to make up your own mind :)
I'm with you on all those points.

Its more a case of "I don't get"
Than "Bored of seeing"
Infrared especially the ones that look like its been a hard hoarfrost.

To be honest there's no "photograph I am bored rigid from seeing". Every picture is a new attempt and it might be just that little bit different enough to reveal a new aspect of the subject. You just won't know until you see it...

:thinking:

Sorry all don't really get the point of this thread. If you don't like something you don't have to look at and you certainly don't have to photograph it. My taste in music is quite broad, if I don't like it, I don't listen to it. I don't then go on a music forum and say something I don't like is rubbish, nor do I say a certain type of music is repetitive. (standing back there are only so many notes to choose from in the first place)

I think a shallow DOF, infra red, long exposure of a lion yawning, in a car parked on a pier... might be difficult to arrange. Perhaps I need to limit my categories, can't use Photoshop - I hate excessively photoshoped images.

I think a shallow DOF, infra red, long exposure of a lion yawning, in a car parked on a pier... might be difficult to arrange. Perhaps I need to limit my categories, can't use Photoshop - I hate excessively photoshoped images.

You get the lion filled car onto the pier and I'll shoot it in IR with a long exposure...

Sorry all don't really get the point of this thread. If you don't like something you don't have to look at and you certainly don't have to photograph it. My taste in music is quite broad, if I don't like it, I don't listen to it. I don't then go on a music forum and say something I don't like is rubbish, nor do I say a certain type of music is repetitive. (standing back there are only so many notes to choose from in the first place)

Photographers aren't like that. Mention the dreaded "A" word, and people will be queuing up to post that it's subjective rubbish, emperor's new clothes and the like. Many become very emotional about things that they personally don't like (or don't understand), and seem to believe that anyone who has different views shouldn't be allowed to express them without having their opinion drowned out. :(

Must be a long time since you visited music forums? There's often heated arguments with people stating how much they hate this or that type of music or certain bands.

I think it's perfectly fine to say you find something boring, if we were nothing but hyper positive about everything I think that in itself would be incredibly boring

I think it's perfectly fine to say you find something boring, if we were nothing but hyper positive about everything I think that in itself would be incredibly boring

I've no problem with that pre se, only when people appear to feel obliged to chip into a thread with that as the sole contribution.

Sorry, this is off topic - end of rants on this.

I've no problem with that pre se, only when people appear to feel obliged to chip into a thread with that as the sole contribution.

Sorry, this is off topic - end of rants on this.

This thread is literally titled "What is the photograph you are bored rigid from seeing" - it is all you need post. If anything it's those who dislike the idea should stay out if it bothers them

Just seen one of my other non favourites, ten or so different coloured pencils with nicely sharpened points.
Might be different and do one in b&w, you don't see that very often

Should also add I find Coldplay boring too

If anything it's those who dislike the idea should stay out if it bothers them
The whole point of a forum is to exchange ideas and it's difficult to do that if you stay out of the conversation. :wideyed:

The whole point of a forum is to exchange ideas and it's difficult to do that if you stay out of the conversation. :wideyed:

What if your comment is totally irrelevant?
I didn't ask what is your view on somebody saying they find a particular photo boring.
In my opinion you spoilt what was a bit of fun by being overly sanctimonious

Not bad, 7 pages before the fighting broke out :D

n028.gif

View attachment 259270
Didn't need to though, was just a sort of Room 101 for photographs.
Well I still enjoyed it anyway and think the winners thus far are Kingfishers or long exposure water photos

Last edited:
I've no idea why my contribution stepped on Rich's corns but there you are: ye canna please all o' the people all o' the time. :naughty:

I've no idea why my contribution stepped on Rich's corns but there you are: ye canna please all o' the people all o' the time. :naughty:

I haven't got corns, I'm not Scottish and please don't play the poor old me card
Every one of your contributions to this thread have been a whinge and dare I say it boring

I can't really pinpoint one particular photo - but if I'm honest I find a lot of landscape stuff a bit dull. I suspect it is because I have no personal experience of or connection to most of the landscapes. I reckon I'd feel differently about it if I saw a beautiful view for myself and then managed to capture it (well) with my camera. I'll never be able to test the theory because I am truly HOPELESS at landscape. Probably the other reason I don't find it very interesting :LOL:

Last edited:
Every one of your contributions to this thread have been a whinge and dare I say it boring
As you have a problem with me I've put you on ignore and you can do the same to me. Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Last edited:
Back to the over familiar photos, I give you macro shot of a watch either face or mechanism.
Obligatory with these lenses, coins are another favourite too

Back to the over familiar photos, I give you macro shot of a watch either face or mechanism.
Obligatory with these lenses, coins are another favourite too

Not seeing too many of these about these days. But they are tick box shots when anyone gets into macro at first. Done them myself, well not the close up watch shots but I've done plenty of coins.

Not seeing too many of these about these days. But they are tick box shots when anyone gets into macro at first. Done them myself, well not the close up watch shots but I've done plenty of coins.

Guilty as charged
I had a Canon 100mm L is macro lens, after a couple of watches, a few coins, some flora/fauna and various insects the novelty wore off.

Guilty as charged
I had a Canon 100mm L is macro lens, after a couple of watches, a few coins, some flora/fauna and various insects the novelty wore off.

A lens I've always wanted to try out, almost bought one when I was using EF-AF adapters on both M43 and Fuji. See macro will never wear off for me, I love close up shooting in general because it's like entering another world in a way or shooting from a perspective you just do not see with your eyes alone. Especially with bug or nature macro in general. Getting sharp detail of things we just do not pay attention to. Now, not all macro is as fascinating, take the coins for example - I think we just do these to gauge sharpness really, and the first few times you do it can be fascinating - the detail, the depth, what you never noticed about those boring coins beforehand.

I'm nowhere near a serious macro photographer though, I just love detail, texture, clarity in objects or subjects. I think just about anything can be made interesting if it's shot at the right distance, the right angle, the right lighting etc ...

But I do get it, close ups of coins and I would say to a lesser extend watch faces [as I really haven't seen many of these] can be boring.

I'm going to add 'product' style studio shots of photography gear to the vault here too. It's a bit - nothing else to photograph, hey I'll set up some lighting, clean up my gear and take photos of them - the only time gear photography makes any real sense is when you're trying to sell it IMO. OR, if it's some unique or even just rare gear that not many will own. Then it can be interesting. But stylish 'pro' studio type images of your 5D mkII ... c'mon ...

These things go in phases, selective colouring, HDR, car light trails, milky water, water droplets and things dropping in liquid.
Bullets through fruit was another favourite for a while, all interesting to start with, but get a bit tedious after a while

These things go in phases, selective colouring, HDR, car light trails, milky water, water droplets and things dropping in liquid.
Bullets through fruit was another favourite for a while, all interesting to start with, but get a bit tedious after a while

Done them all ... bar the bullet one, i did always fancy a gun though

The trouble with all those bullet and droplet shots is that Harold Edgerton, who invented the technology, already took the definitive versions 50-80 years ago:

https://edgerton-digital-collections.org/galleries/iconic

A live version of this, Olafur Eliasson's strobe-list 'Big Bang Fountain' in his current exhibition at Tate Modern is pretty cool, though:

https://olafureliasson.net/archive/artwork/WEK109204/big-bang-fountain

My “corporate headshot” photo that work insists I have against my messaging profiles and company directory entry. See it all the time and it I just reminds me I’m not out somewhere much nicer with the camera......

A better music based scenario would be a musician covering another artists song and presenting that song to the world as his/her own work. Of course it’s going to attract negative comments.

Ps: Yes I know some covers are better than the originals and some photography ‘covers’ are better than the originals.

A straightforward cover or a straightforward photocopy however may highlight good technical skills but will show zero creativity.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, this is a light:) hearted:) thread about photos that you have seen a million and one times
Those ones that you see and think it wouldn't bother me if I never saw that again, ever!!

Last edited:
Back