What is your Post Processing Work Flow?

lee

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

What is your Post Processing work flow as a general rule? i.e. WB, Unsharpen Mask, curves etc..

If you want to know why I'm asking please read what has turned out to be a little story below. Thanks

I was at a family wedding at the weekend and some how managed to became the main photographer (I had the biggest camera) so I think no worries great opportunity and no pressure as no one expects anything from me.

Anyway, I decided to shoot in RAW for a change so that if I have any problems I have more to work with in the post processing.

This is where I come to the problem, I've not shot much in RAW before and when I've done this I compared them to similar jpeg shots and they look a bit dull. So using Rawshooter I went through all the shots and did auto white balance and exposure but didn't like the affect so upped the colour temp, and now I'm thinking what else should I be doing that the camera normally does for me.

Should I be sharpening just because I know some sharpening is done in camera, is it just a case of playing until I'm happy? I don't really want to do this with every shot, I could be here till Christmas.

So are there basic changes you always do in a batch process, can you share those steps with me please :)

Thanks for the help.

Lee

I use Lightroom and generally work from the top down on the develop module.

If I know the shots I'm importing are all going to have a similar WB I set that on import, then do the exposure tweaks, vibrance/saturation, curves, then the colour sliders then if I'm doing any NR that happens last.

I sort out the sharpening just before I export the file.

Lightroom - which covers everything but very advanced skin corrections and lens corrections (so developing, color manipulation and so on). The last two things I am doing in Photoshop CS2 with PTLens plugin.

And as about the sharpening - as our friend above, I am doing it just before final export.

Thanks for the feedback guys, but what did you do before Lightrooms develop module :)

I guess I will muddle my way through my shots (eventually), but I thought it was an interesting question to ask. To see how other do it and if there were any tips people could share.

good answer :LOL: ...... didn't actually mean before uploading to lightroom, but before the software was released about 6 to 12 months ago :D

What was your work flow/process before or is it a silly question and should just stump up the money and buy it.... surely not everyone uses it

another vote for lightroom, before it did some very bad processing in elements.

mostly i import into lightroom, fiddle with the curves till im happy then up vibrance, and clarity and sharpen.

Thanks for the feedback Tootie (y)

Do people who do weddings use some standard batch processing or are you guys all using lightroom as well :)

Maybe I should ask the question does anyone not use light room :)

Hi Lee,

I´m using Rawshooter - Lightroom - LightZone.

Rawshooter is fast and easy. Magne did some camera profiles for RSP.
Workflow in RSP: Exp. - WB - Curves - Vibrance - Crop - input sharpening.

Output sharpening depending on use for Web, print etc.
RSP has processing parameters where you can adjust for the camera in use. At least I can with the old Nikon D2H. In other programs one can set the values and save as presets.

Kjeld

That'll teach you Lee for taking that big Nikon to a wedding :bonk:

Hope you are keeping well my friend...

Hi Lee,

I´m using Rawshooter - Lightroom - LightZone.

Rawshooter is fast and easy. Magne did some camera profiles for RSP.
Workflow in RSP: Exp. - WB - Curves - Vibrance - Crop - input sharpening.

Output sharpening depending on use for Web, print etc.
RSP has processing parameters where you can adjust for the camera in use. At least I can with the old Nikon D2H. In other programs one can set the values and save as presets.

Kjeld

Thanks Kjeld,

thats the kind of thing I was trying to understand steps people take :) (y)

Shot in RAW.

Import into Aperture.

First pass full screen preview, adding stars to any that look good, deleting any that are Out Of Focus or just plain Bad.

2nd Pass, once again adding more stars, comparing similar shots and adding stars to better versions.

3rd Pass, all 3 or 4 star photos get individually processed, enchanced and dust bunnies cloned out, if happy with image at a pixel-peeping level 5 stars added.

4th Pass, All 5 Star photos checked for similarities and best dozen or so exported at 50% original to Flickr and my webspace.

All done from within Aperture. :)

That'll teach you Lee for taking that big Nikon to a wedding :bonk:

even bigger with the new lens :) but it was almost completely redundant due to me being the main tog and not being able to do the candids in a pokey little pub, but I enjoyed it.

Shot in RAW.

Import into Aperture.

First pass full screen preview, adding stars to any that look good, deleting any that are Out Of Focus or just plain Bad.

2nd Pass, once again adding more stars, comparing similar shots and adding stars to better versions.

3rd Pass, all 3 or 4 star photos get individually processed, enchanced and dust bunnies cloned out, if happy with image at a pixel-peeping level 5 stars added.

4th Pass, All 5 Star photos checked for similarities and best dozen or so exported at 50% original to Flickr and my webspace.

All done from within Aperture. :)

Thats great Darryn,

Forgot to add stars or compare similar only deleted the worst made the changes I wanted and converted... your process would have saved me a little time... all common sense but was thinking.

Back