What is your processing sequence?

Edit My Images
No
I've finally taken the plunge ad got Elements 7. To date I have just used Canon DPP and ZoomBrowser.

My question to you Canon folks is in what order do you use the Canon/Photoshop software now?

If you shoot jpg, then I guess you just use photoshop and dont bother with any of the Canon software.

If you shoot RAW, then do you use DPP for the conversion before playing with the jpg in photoshop? I know photoshop does raw conversion but it looks like DPP raw conversion is more comprehensive, including the ability to change original picture styles as well as the usual WB etc. Doesnt look like photoshop soes the picture styles part?

So what is your procedure and sequence for processing folks?

Many thanks

I'm using Aperture on the Mac for RAW processing, which in 95% of cases is all I do, before moving to the Mac I'd been using Lightroom. On odd occasions, I fling the image from there to PS for a bit of work if needed.

At the moment I shoot only in RAW and use DPP first to sort out WB and sharpen. Then I batch convert to TIF files before doing any Photoshop work. You need to avoid converting to JPG if you're going to use PS because of the compression - everytime you save a JPG you loose detail.

Work with TIF in Photoshop and then convert to JPG once you're happy with the image. If you're working with a lot of images you can do the TIF-JPG conversion as a batch back in DPP.

AndyB,

What type of TIFF are you using to edit with? 8-Bit or 16-Bit, I find the 16-Bit images are Huge and it takes windows a long time to display in windows explorer when you are trying to find the one you need to work on!

I have DPP, supplied with the camera but I use Lightroom 2.0.

Just wondering?

My PC isn't that slow either, it has 2GB of DDR Ram and a 3700 Athlon.

It depends on the final use of the image. If it's only going to end up on a web page then I would use 8bit. Otherwise I use 16bit and yes it does eat memory. Just one of those trade-offs.

What I sometimes do to get around the Windows explorer lag is to convert my RAW files into a set of TIF and a set of small JPG files. I dont work on the JPGs but I use them as an index in Windows Explorer. Then you can simply browse for the corresponding TIF file without using thumbnail view

I use DPP 1st then save as JPG as i get my images as correct as possible in DPP 1st so i don't have to do much in PS. I have yet to print any of my images as none have been worth the bother so far!! I'ts still all new to me :bonk::LOL:

I shoot raw and small jpeg, then use the jpeg to pick the ones i want, convert the raws to tiff and edit as required.

I think Adobe camera RAW (free download from adobe) works with elements - so you could try using that as it might be better integrated. At least - when my copy of elements 7 arrives today that is what I shall be trying (I really find the canon software a bit messy)...

I like the idea of using small jpeg to preview which images to bother PSing - am going to see how that works for me...

I shoot raw download and sort and catalogue in Expression Media.

Conversion is done in Silkypix or ACR and editing if needed in CS3 or Elements 6.

i shoot raw or jpeg depending on how much i intend to shoot (i only have 4gb of storage)
Upload with adobe bridge use that to browse also, then edit in cs4

don't really understand lightroom could do with trying it

I use DPP to adjust the white balance, and then save as a TIFF for any further work in photoshop. When closing DPP, I do not save changes so that I always have the unchanged RAW image available if required.

I've found this thread interesting, and similar to what i was going to ask - but my question was about Canon's Zoombrowser EX - is it just me or do people find a real pain in the rear to use as Scotlandthescare hints at? Or am i just getting old?!! I'll ask this question in a new thread too as i may need a specific answer about which software is easiest and quickest to use.

Never used the canon software. Lightroom 2 only these days and very rarely process in CS3

I've tried both LR and Aperture now, but as a life long Photoshopper have managed to get to grips with neither very well. Aperture seemed better, but is much slower.

So... my workflow is all PS CS3.

Shoot RAW. Open all pics from a shoot into PS CS3 ACR. Delete crap ones, adjust WB en mass, then fine tune any decent ones. All this is done through the ACR plugin. Nowadays I don't do much additional work, but if it's a mono or I want to play more, then I open it up into PS CS3.

Have never tried the Canon software.

Shoot RAW, batch import in Lightroom as .DNG (College doesn't have the right version of ACR so I work in .DNG format now)

Organise everything in Lightroom, then delete the rubbish.

From there, I usually do RAW work in Lightroom, editing in CS3 for any fine tuning.

-H

Import RAWs into Lightroom, discard the dross. Do basic processing (levels, horizons etc) in LR, any more involved processing in PS. Once all is well, run a batch command in PS that resizes to 800*600px, adds the border and saves to my lo-res folder. Create event gallery in Lightroom (using LRGOne), upload to site...

Even more done with Lightroom, I export to both my Flickr and website direct from LR...

Import RAWs into Lightroom, discard the dross. Do basic processing (levels, horizons etc) in LR, any more involved processing in PS. Once all is well, run a batch command in PS that resizes to 800*600px, adds the border and saves to my lo-res folder. Create event gallery in Lightroom (using LRGOne), upload to site...

Even more done with Lightroom, I export to both my Flickr and website direct from LR...
Sounds exhausting!

I just use Adobe CS3 software, i always shoot RAW, copy the files to pc via cord or card reader, view raw files in Adobe Bridge, select multiple the files i wish to process, process the RAWS in Adobe RAW (WB, crop, claw back highlights etc) then into CS3 to do final touches and save as jpeg one full sized then normally a 900x600 for flickr.

Does anyone have any "basic processing" pointers for a post-processing newbie? Most of the images I use are straight out of the camera, nothing changed whatsoever.
Are there any must-do's that I should be thinking about doing to get the best from my images? Obviously most of you have a set workflow for your post processing - when references are made to "basic" and "involved" processing what are you actually referring to?

I see basic as processing the RAWs, WB, cropping, cloning out dust spots etc. Then resizing and sharpening for output. The more involved processing is if I am going to print/sell/use an image, I will spend a lot more time tweaking the image, saturation, levels, contrast.

A lot of the time the basic processing is applied in bulk, but the more involved processing is done on each image depending on usage.

I couldn't be more of a beginner but at the moment my sequence is:

Look through the JPGs to see which shots are worth a bit of extra effort.
Load the RAWs into CS4 and tweak WB, Saturation, exposure, Vibrancy etc until it looks right.
Check to see horizon is straight and alter if necessary.
Run an Unsharp mask at about 110% to add a little extra sharpness.
Save to high quality jpg.

Back