What killed my D90?

Edit My Images
Yes
We nipped out Thursday to look for adonis blue butterflies, got a few shots and all was well in the world. Until I went to show SWMBO the images and everything was black... Nearly all my shots were massively underexposed, histograms so far over to the left that you couldn't see them. I was not happy, fair to say. :roll: We're off on holiday in a fortnight, and I got some really good shots as well. :(

Taking it back to Jessops I was told there is an eight week turnaround for repairs. There is a happy ending though - I was able to swap it for a brand new one, and not only that - the D90 is actually cheaper now than when I bought it so I got £60 back as well! :D I know Jessops sometimes have a bad reputation but the Bluewater branch really sorted me out. Having said that, there's only one member of staff there that I will talk to. Some of the kids they employ I wouldn't trust to sell me a packet of crisps. Gods, I sound old. :LOL:

Does anyone know what is the likely cause of the under exposure? Sensor, or something else? It was bleedin' hot, and we were out in the sun for several hours, could it be that? I did get a couple of shots off of the card, but none of the ones I was excited about.

Common blue by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

Meadow grasshopper by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

Sounds like you had a result too! Did you get the same underexposed shots when you were in Jessops?
Allan

What settings were you using?

On the above photos, according to the exif info on flickr, you were using manual mode. This means you entered all the settings yourself. How did you arrive at these settings?

Could you post some of the underexposed samples with exif intact? This would help us work out if it was camera or operator error.

Back