What kind of Gull?

Nice shot, but it is difficult to be sure of the species from this angle.

I suggest a herring gull or a lesser blackbacked, but I 'm sure others will know more.

Dave

Practice is over now by the looks of it Dougie :LOL:
Well captured in what seems a good light, plenty of detail and some subtle shadows as well. The fact the bird has it`s head on the tilt also adds to the pic imo, not sure if it was looking for food or the sun was in it`s eye though :thinking:

It looks like a first year herring gull.
And a nice shot it is.

Just as a matter of interest, juvenile only refers to birds in the plumage they leave the nest in, before they get their first autumn or winter plumage. This would be a first winter bird, probably herring gull.

This might seem like a technical or rather pedantic point (what....me?) but it can help to eliminate some of the plumages you find in the field guides when you're trying to identify something.

Oh.....and there's no such thing as a sea-gull.......

coat....get

Just as a matter of interest, juvenile only refers to birds in the plumage they leave the nest in, before they get their first autumn or winter plumage. This would be a first winter bird, probably herring gull.

This might seem like a technical or rather pedantic point (what....me?) but it can help to eliminate some of the plumages you find in the field guides when you're trying to identify something.

coat....get

Giving good info rather than being pedantic, I would say.

Practice is over now by the looks of it Dougie :LOL:
Well captured in what seems a good light, plenty of detail and some subtle shadows as well. The fact the bird has it`s head on the tilt also adds to the pic imo, not sure if it was looking for food or the sun was in it`s eye though :thinking:

Thanks, yes I liked that it had its head tilted.:)

Good capture, I think it is an autocrappius gull, as it looks like it's eyeing up a target :D
:LOL:

It looks like a first year herring gull.
And a nice shot it is.

coat....get

Cheers mate, very informative. I should have guessed about there being no "Sea Gulls". Force of habit from my childhood I'm afraid.;):bonk:

Giving good info rather than being pedantic, I would say.

Very true.

Thank you all(y)

Back