What Laptop & More ?

As a follow on to that ... would a 17 wide at 1440x900 need upgrading to 1920x1200 too then ? :thinking:

And would the 17" be better overall ? :shrug:

Sorry if I am being a tad fick ! :help:

I would go and look at them in Dixons or PCWorld. The 17" Laptops are pretty big so may be an issue if you want to travel with it regularly.

As regards the upgrade, I personally wouldnt buy a laptop less than 1024 in height but it depends on how and what you use the PC for. If you think about images posted here that are 800 pixels high, with the usual clutter in the standard browser app you will have to scroll to see the full image if your screen is less than 1000 pixels high.

Things are achieving clarity ... at last ! Photo stuff is a must as we will only have the lappy ! The screen is therefore (one of) the key factors. :D

Next stop PCWorld then ! Thanx again Mark ... (y)

Edit - NOT to buy of course ... just lookin' !

Venomator said:
Things are achieving clarity ... at last !
Good. If its any consolation it took me at least two months to decide what to buy and I work in IT.
Venomator said:
Next stop PCWorld then ! Thanx again Mark ... (y)
Edit - NOT to buy of course ... just lookin' !
Enjoy your window shopping

mfwild13 said:
Good. If its any consolation it took me at least two months to decide what to buy and I work in IT. Enjoy your window shopping

I still have a little time but don't want to spend two months looking ... it is doing my head in ! :( - and going w/shopping later today !).

Anyway ... I believe I am able to start the shortlisting, at least of manufacturers;

Sony : Dell : Acer : Asus : Lenovo : Toshiba (you never know with 66% back ? :thumbsdown: ) ... not in any particular order really ! :p

Then there is the screen ... it has to be wide but ... 15.4" or 17" still toying.

If (biggy !) I stick to my original budget then it would rule out Sony : Asus : Toshiba and probably the Thinkpad ... leaving a clear choice of;

Dell - Inspiron 6400 or 9400 ... depending on how it is specked up by choice ! :thinking:

Acer - Aspire ... probably core duo series ! :shrug:

But then, if the budget is blown ... omigawd :help: ... don't go there !

Still pleased to receive further comments guys 'n gals ... esp now it is narrowing down a bit ?

Thank you all for helping, contributing or just plain commenting ... it really has helped tremendously peeps ! :ty:

i'd go for a 15.4 inch screen if you indend on taking it anywhere. the 17's are great for a desktop replacement but are really a bit big to fit in normal bags imo.

Rich said:
Buy the new Apple Macbook (not the pro). They are £749 and will run WinXP by using Bootcamp, will be very small and great on battery life.

Thanx Rich ... prob bit smaller at 13" than I was looking for I think and ... pound for pound are they not more expensive than non-Mac ? :shrug:

noah said:
I'd go for a 15.4 inch screen if you indend on taking it anywhere. the 17's are great for a desktop replacement but are really a bit big to fit in normal bags imo.

Cheers again Noah ... this will run & run a bit ... went to PCWorld yesterday to compare side by side and again today with Jill (lovely place ... NOT) but she thinks the 15.4" should do nicely and who am I to argue ... except I do rather like the idea of the bigger screen and mobility is second to photobility ... probably ? :(

Also went back to look at the Sony VGN FE11 s ... at £899.99 can this be beaten ? Such a lovely looking machine too ... :eek:

I think for what they are, the Macbook will work out cheaper than a non mac. When you take into account size and weight, battery life etc, your windows machines start to get VERY expensive.....

If its the wrong size though, its the wrong size :D

You could always have a look out for the Dell special offers or the Factory Refurbs there.

Thanx once again Rich ! (y)

Decided just to check and noticed a whole raft of notebooks and stuff on eBay ... worth watching a few to see what goes for what ... and some of my shortlisted ones on there too ! :geek:

Anyone have experience of buying 'puter gear via eBay please ? :thinking:

Thanx again all ... (y)

Rog... :p

Laptops are a favourite of ebay scammers so I'd make some checks before paying. Look up the address you are given to see who lives there.....get a phone number and speak to the seller.....look to see what they have sold before. 50 feedbacks for 10p items bought and then selling a laptop is not good ;)

A bargain price from Nigeria or Latvia or somesuch might make you think too :)

I've used ebay a lot but I'd not consider it for a new laptop.

RobertP said:
I've used ebay a lot but I'd not consider it for a new laptop.

Thanx Robert ... I have been looking particularly at a couple of sellers who only sell 'puters and related with loads of sales and extremely positive feedback on all of them ! :cautious:

They seem to sell 'cancelled order' Dells and such like and, on the face of it appear genuine. One or two are in London and offer pick up so no laptop = no cash I suppose ! :crying:

Would not entertain a 'private' type seller unless very close to me and I could see and try before buying ! In any event I try and do cash with pick-up as protection for me. :eek:

Value your input though as ever ! (y)

mfwild13 said:
Dont know if you are still looking Ven but latest Dell offer on Inspiron 9400 via Hotukdeals

I absolutely am Mark ... thanks for the hu ! 6400 or 6400 that is still my main question ! (i.e. 15.4" or 17" widescreen is the main choice still to make !). :thinking:

RobertP said:
Ven....I saw this and thought of you.....

Thanx Rob !?! :razz:

On a Tosh at the mo but ...

seen one world cup victory and doubt I'll live to see another ...

so I guess I'll live without another Tosh too ... :p

Still not finally decided what replaces it though ... :thinking: :shrug: :thinking:

Back