What legal action can i take?

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
i went into a local pub for a few pints, only to notice there is an advertisement on the wall with my picture in it. the copyright was removed from the image as well, and is now being used for advertising. is that not against the rules?:rules: anything i can do about it?

Have you said anything to them? i.e. The people who allowed it to be put up? 'Who put it up, etc'

Have you called the people who are advertising?

Get your solicitor to send the publishers a bill.

i have emailed the person directly in regards to it and havent heard anything back.

Yup - all of the above. Get the solicitors on to them, and demand - DEMAND - payment. Over-charge/include compensation for lost earnings, too.

I can't offer much advice on the legal side of things, but I would suggest you get a photo of the ad (showing it, and the surroundings clearly), so whoever has been naughty tries to deny it, you've got proof!

Chris

so lets say i do demand payment etc. and the publisher says "no". is this feasable in court? or a waste of time? im just suprised that a publisher would not have the professionalism to contact me, via the copyright and ask if he could use it. for all i know he could be making money off me?!

Is it the pub using your picture or a third party advertising in your local boozer with one of your photos.

If its an advert, then its down to the promoter of the event

If its the pub using it for their own advertising, then its their responsibility. Being overly aggressive may mean you become persona non gratis in your local - and a less aggressive tactic may be better. Could see you in free pints for a while to come!

it is a chain pub but its the only one in this town. its a third party advertising "agency" if you want to call it that. he's just a local guy, runs one of those magazines that are free. see the ad is for a book launch, for a local author and a good friend of mine, who as well works at that pub. i am fine with the advertising, but not happy about the copyright removal. i spoke with my author friend about it and told her i will be having words with the advertiser.

You need to know who used the image - is it the pub, or the "agency", or the author?

Mention the phrase "Breach of Copyright" in a letter, take advice (try www.own-it.org), then decide where to go next.

Copyright is not a credit with your name on it. It is the right that you have not to have the image used without your permission and payment (if you wish).

It exists automatically with every image and always belongs to the creator unless it is given away or sold.

If everyone concerned is a "mate" or a "mate of a mate" it might be best to deal with it in an informal manner, but you should expect some kind of payment - even if its just a copy of the book!

Breach of Copyright is a serious matter.

Back