what lens can do these sort of shots?

mrjames

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
A&C_0137%20(1).jpg

the shallow depth of field isn't the issue here, it's the fact that the model is so far away and still the plane of focus is so shallow- even If I frame a full body shot fairly tightly with a 50mm on full frame shooting f2 I only get this. Although there is more space behind the model so maybe I just need to shoot in more open locations.

0J9W4320-Edit_o.jpg

and it's not as sharp as the picture posted above, I can only think that it's medium format? there seems to be too much background in the frame for it to be from a telephoto lens, I guess he could have shot it from way way far away
looking at his other photos he doesn't seem to be the DSLR with 70-200 kind of guy, so medium format would figure I think.

any thoughts?

Last edited:
I would guess at a fast (f/2.8) telephoto of some sort, although looking at the second picture, it almost looks like the girl's been dropped into the scene - look at the feet and there's a total lack of shadow, while her face is well lit.

The data is on the image.

Camera Maker: Hasselblad
Camera Model: Hasselblad H4D-40
Lens: HC 150
Image Date: 2012-07-29
Focal Length: 150mm (35mm equivalent: 118mm)
Focus Distance: 14.296m
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.0029 s (1/350)
ISO equiv: 200
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: Manual
Flash Fired: No
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Photographer: user Guest
Software: Aperture 3.3.2

How do you get that information from the photo?

What browser are you using? Just goggle 'exif data (your browser) add on' I have a firefox add on i just right click an image and get the data. I also have a right click histogram add on too.

Last edited:
Hard to get this effect without ultra fast lenses. An 85 f1.2 might get you closer but shots still look different. You might want to check out the Brenizer effect on Google. Again, it isn't quite as good as a medium format shot but I like it.

Second one's exif

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/300"
F Number = F2.8
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Exif Version = 30, 32, 33, 30
Date Time Original = 2011-09-07 13:31:56
Date Time Digitized = 2011-09-07 13:31:56
Shutter Speed Value = 8.23 TV
Aperture Value = 2.97 AV
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Max Aperture Value = F1.41
Metering Mode = CenterWeightedAverage
Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 50mm
Subsec Time Original =
Subsec Time Digitized =
Focal Plane X Resolution = 3512.195
Focal Plane Y Resolution = 3521.739
Focal Plane Resolution Unit = inch
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Scene Capture Type = Normal
A431 = 506679
A432 = 50/1, 50/1, 0/0, 0/0
A434 = EF50mm f/1.4 USM

A 70-200 2.8 will give the same results. The rest is just down to how it's processed.

I thought the second picture was the OP's for comparison? :thinking:

Does anyone know of a site that maps focal length and f-stops between medium format, full frame 35mm and crop 35mm? In other words, one that tells me 150mm f4 on a medium format equals 85mm f2 on a FF DSLR (I'm just making up numbers here)?

The difficulty is there is no single standard for medium format, you can have 6x6, 6x4.5, 6x17 (panoramic), all sorts.

You could use DoF Master http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html to compare focal lengths on different formats and their comparative DoF.

The difficulty is there is no single standard for medium format, you can have 6x6, 6x4.5, 6x17 (panoramic), all sorts.

You could use DoF Master http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html to compare focal lengths on different formats and their comparative DoF.

Thanks Mark, I'd looked at that a while ago but it is a bit fiddly to match a you have to generate the depths of field as an intermediary step (and I'm lazy). But it is the best I've seen yet.

The data is on the image.

Camera Maker: Hasselblad
Camera Model: Hasselblad H4D-40
Lens: HC 150
Image Date: 2012-07-29
Focal Length: 150mm (35mm equivalent: 118mm)
Focus Distance: 14.296m
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.0029 s (1/350)
ISO equiv: 200
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: Manual
Flash Fired: No
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Photographer: user Guest
Software: Aperture 3.3.2

Funny - I looked at the first shot and thought "wow that looks like the HC 150". It's a jolly nice lens.

If you don't have a 'blad to hang one on, try one of the DC lenses from Nikon. Closest I've seen on small format.

You can see the shadow behind her foot in the second pic.........

Check her face - it's strongly lit from her left side. Even with a complicated lighting setup, I would expect to see shadows around the feet rather than marks on the floor (which is what I reckon is what you think is a shadow.)Unless the person who took the shot(s) can prove otherwise, I still reckon it's 2 shots layered.

The rear foot does look a bit iffy, but I do think the dark area under her front foot is shadow.
She's got a strong light on the side of her face, but it's almost completely fallen off by the time it reaches her legs, so I'd guess is just an off-camera speedlight with a small softbox set up quite close.
This would also explain the lack of shadows to the left (our left) of her feet.

Hard to get this effect without ultra fast lenses. An 85 f1.2 might get you closer but shots still look different. You might want to check out the Brenizer effect on Google. Again, it isn't quite as good as a medium format shot but I like it.

I agree had a little go at this myself similar effect but not quite there

jess and Cait by petewallace1, on Flickr

that's the sooc shot

see, no compositing :)
the light was coming mostly from the back (white shoot through umbrella from actually quite far away), with a silver reflector in the front, you can see the shadow on the bottom left but there was a lot of diffused daylight in the room too

i never though of looking up the exif, that would have answered my question in a minute

I knew it was medium format though, you can definitely tell- it looks beautiful

I just bought a 70-200 so i'll experiment with it

I don't see any mysteries here, though who can say what's been done in post.

Straight like for like conversion on the first shot (Hasselbald H4D-40, 150mm at f/4) equates to 118mm at f/3.15 in terms of focal length and DoF, on full frame.

Could tell it was taken with a medium format camera. If full frame has the special sauce, MF has special sauce layered on top of cake.

Could tell it was taken with a medium format camera. If full frame has the special sauce, MF has special sauce layered on top of cake.

That particular Hasselblad back has an image area only 68% larger than full frame. Real medium format, 645 film for example, has an area over 300% larger than full frame.

that's the sooc shot

see, no compositing :)
the light was coming mostly from the back (white shoot through umbrella from actually quite far away), with a silver reflector in the front, you can see the shadow on the bottom left but there was a lot of diffused daylight in the room too

i never though of looking up the exif, that would have answered my question in a minute

I knew it was medium format though, you can definitely tell- it looks beautiful

I just bought a 70-200 so i'll experiment with it

Sorry for casting aspersions on it! Is it your own shot or were you there when it was taken?

Sorry for casting aspersions on it! Is it your own shot or were you there when it was taken?

I think the reason it looks that way, is the amount of post that has been done. Looking at the guys web site, he seems to do a lot of post and retouching to get a particular aesthetic.

Back