What lens for £400 would you buy

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
No
As some will know, I busted my Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

I'm not sure if to replace like for like or is there something better out there for the money for a mix of in studio and outside portraits

Any suggestions

H

Sigma 70-200 HSM II 2.8 maybe? You should find one used for that price or cheaper even. It doesn't have VR/OS, [the newer version does but it's above budget] but with the wider aperture you don't need that so much.

Just had a quick look at 4 reviews, none were good :|

85mm 1.8G? Just got mine, i likey :D

It is one one my list, not so sure I want a prime for outside portraits, bit restricting, having to get closer for head shots or I'm just unsure

15ft and in ok but........

Last edited:
It is one one my list, not so sure I want a prime for outside portraits, bit restricting, having to get closer for head shots or I'm just unsure

15ft and in ok but........

Can you not get too close then?

Suppose it depends on what you are shooting.

Can you not get too close then?

Suppose it depends on what you are shooting.

Not it they are in say a boat, I don't step off terra firma with a camera :)

or shooting up or down a far way

Last edited:
Either replace like for like or there's the Tamron SP70-300VR in that budget range.

You could always go for an older Nikkor 80-200 F2.8, if you check out second hand sources and ebay you might be able to pick one up within your budget.

Either replace like for like or there's the Tamron SP70-300VR in that budget range.

You could always go for an older Nikkor 80-200 F2.8, if you check out second hand sources and ebay you might be able to pick one up within your budget.

That's something to consider :)

Curry's on ebay have just listed 2 of the 70-300mm vr g lenses, manuals missing, £249.99

thats where i got mine, you could get that AND pick yourself up a nice little 50mm 1.8 for £400. the 50 will come in at a 75mm on the crop and in theory be nice for portraits....i use mine a fair bit :)

Curry's on ebay have just listed 2 of the 70-300mm vr g lenses, manuals missing, £249.99

I got it :) 3 months warranty but I'll get insurance now

Ah, nice one(y)

Any problems and you have 2 full weeks to kind of check it over, if your not 100% happy they let you send it back, distance selling rules apply.

Yes I was a little worried it said USED but I followed one on ebay this evening that went for £270+ post no warranty

Thank you very much :clap:

H

Now to look for another lens LOL

They list in shop new at £419, I wonder if they have messed up over the price and it should have been £350..... oh well :)

Strange, not seen any bad reviews on the sigma 70-200, but the 80-200 Nikon suggested would be better. I had the old push-pull version and loved it.

They list in shop new at £419, I wonder if they have messed up over the price and it should have been £350..... oh well :)

They had a load on just over a month a go for £199.99, just make sure you check it over thoroughly, make sure focus is bang on and such stuff like VR is working good, I had a 35mm from them but it was just a bit hit and miss on the focus for me, so I sent it back, might have been my D7000 though as there is quite a few D7000 with bad focus issues, getting a brand new 35mm this coming week so I hope it was just a bad one and not my D7000.

They had a load on just over a month a go for £199.99, just make sure you check it over thoroughly, make sure focus is bang on and such stuff like VR is working good, I had a 35mm from them but it was just a bit hit and miss on the focus for me, so I sent it back, might have been my D7000 though as there is quite a few D7000 with bad focus issues, getting a brand new 35mm this coming week so I hope it was just a bad one and not my D7000.

Yes I will do :)

Strange, not seen any bad reviews on the sigma 70-200, but the 80-200 Nikon suggested would be better. I had the old push-pull version and loved it.

Some were saying it was soft at both ends, no where near as good as the Nikon

Well it arrived about 30 mins ago, pretty quick, only it's no good won't AF anywhere above 70mm not even in manual.

Get the 80-200 you should have went for in the first place so ;)

The 50 to 300vr is a fair bit cheaper, ebay around £160. If you can get your hands on a 70mm sigma 2.8 macro you will be amazed, again around £160. I'd say these two would be better use of the money.

The 50 to 300vr is a fair bit cheaper, ebay around £160. If you can get your hands on a 70mm sigma 2.8 macro you will be amazed, again around £160. I'd say these two would be better use of the money.

I'll have a look, is that just a 70 or 17-70 24-70 ?
Thanks
H

Edit 50-300mm won't work on my D600

Edit again the 70 sigma won't work on my D5100

Last edited:
If it is to replace your broken 70-300 VR and that lens did all you wanted it to, then why not another 70-300 (either the Nikon or Tamron USD VC)?

If you felt that the lens was holding you back, then maybe that could help.

For portraiture the 70-200 f2.8 lenses work well, and if you get a good copy of the Siggy lens that would be an option. You may get an older push/pull 80-200 f2.8 for £400 but I doubt you will get the 2 touch or later ones for that sort of money.

The 85 f1.8G takes some beating btw ...

If it is to replace your broken 70-300 VR and that lens did all you wanted it to, then why not another 70-300 (either the Nikon or Tamron USD VC)?

If you felt that the lens was holding you back, then maybe that could help.

For portraiture the 70-200 f2.8 lenses work well, and if you get a good copy of the Siggy lens that would be an option. You may get an older push/pull 80-200 f2.8 for £400 but I doubt you will get the 2 touch or later ones for that sort of money.

The 85 f1.8G takes some beating btw ...

Thank you, I've been hunting high and low on them all, was hoping this would solve it as I do like the lens.

The one that broke I had since 06 when they first came out

I've been looking but so far, not much about or going to much for me

Strange, there was a tonne of them about when I was buying. Good sign though, the ones who bought them aren't re-selling on.

It's a great piece of glass, superior to any of the variable aperture offerings. Most 2.8 lenses will be. Once you use a 2.8 zoom you'll never go back.

Best of luck with the search anyway. That sucks you got a dud copy sent out after your already bad experience.

That's bad luck to receive a complete dud, they are quick to return your money in my experience with them, once they had received my lens back they refunded same day they got it, it just took Paypal a couple of days to put the cash back in the bank, all in I think it was about 6 days from sending in the lens to getting the cash back.

Tamron 70-300 seems a good bet tbh http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-tamron-70-300mm-f4-5-6-sp-di-vc-usd-lens-nikon-fit/p1520737, depends if you want to stick to this price point, trouble I notice once you goo past the £300 ish mark is that lens seem to triple in price.

I've posted in for sale my tamron 70-200 2.8 that's a cracking portrait lens ;) inside your budget

That's bad luck to receive a complete dud, they are quick to return your money in my experience with them, once they had received my lens back they refunded same day they got it, it just took Paypal a couple of days to put the cash back in the bank, all in I think it was about 6 days from sending in the lens to getting the cash back.

Tamron 70-300 seems a good bet tbh http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-tamron-70-300mm-f4-5-6-sp-di-vc-usd-lens-nikon-fit/p1520737, depends if you want to stick to this price point, trouble I notice once you goo past the £300 ish mark is that lens seem to triple in price.

I'm have a look round on that

The 70mm sigma is a prime lens and it is awsome, especially for the money. Maybe a D90 would be better than the D5100 in that case but
I think it has a motor so should work with the d5100.

Last edited:
The Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 is a great lens IMO, ive only used it a few times as I dont own one but a friend of mine does and it has HSM cus it focused on my D3200 but I really like it. Heres a photo I took with it, not particularly interesting but I like the colours and light.
8605222022_30e2ff2abf_c.jpg

Back