What lens for baby photos?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have my first baby on the way, due in February. I have had a look through some previous posts and both 35mm and 50mm come up as good focal lengths on a crop body. I have a 35mm but would it be worth complimenting it with a 50mm as well? Or would this be over the top?

I also have a 3rd party flash gun and Nikons 16-85mm lens but its not a fast lens. But could I get away using it with the flash gun and maybe upping the ISO? I have a D7000 which seems to handle high ISO noise from what I have seen. I just don't want to get too up close and in my baby's face taking pics.

I use a 70-200 and 60mm Macro for my baby shoots. Sometime I will use the 24-70 but very rarely do so. It really depends where you are taking the photos and under what lighting etc... :)

50mm f/1.4 is my favourite lens for baby portraits. Focussing is pretty critical with it at that aperture but there's a 'look' to the pictures I've taken with it that definitely suits the subject. :)

Here's an example if it helps...

5D3_1894colver2tp.jpg

I use a 70-200 and 60mm Macro for my baby shoots. Sometime I will use the 24-70 but very rarely do so. It really depends where you are taking the photos and under what lighting etc... :)

Probably be on the sofa or bed both are next to large windows. Was going to do it once light is that side of the house.

50mm f/1.4 is my favourite lens for baby portraits. Focussing is pretty critical with it at that aperture but there's a 'look' to the pictures I've taken with it that definitely suits the subject. :)

Here's an example if it helps...

5D3_1894colver2tp.jpg

Is that on full fame? Which a 35mm will give me a similar field of view on a crop sensor.

largest aperture you can get - 50mm 1.4 get's a big vote - not too expensive - holds it's value if you can't get on with it - but produces amazingly dreamy images

Is that on full fame? Which a 35mm will give me a similar field of view on a crop sensor.

Hi Ian,

Yeah, it's taken on my 5DMK3... The 35mm will give you a similar field of view on a crop body! (y)

Hi Ian,

Yeah, it's taken on my 5DMK3... The 35mm will give you a similar field of view on a crop body! (y)

Thanks seems like a perfect view. Just been told looking after a friend's baby this weekend so can get some practice in then!

Ian, the 35 will be great. I also use my 18-70 (usually be towards f4 or f) loads with flash for my girls at iso200, no probs.
Folk go on about slight distortion with 35, but imo with babies you can get away with it (its very slight at worst)
Your lens setup is fine, just pay more attention to 'basics' and forget iso stuff so much - backgrounds (your house will be full of background 'stuff' shortly ;) ), some natural light, relaxed baby position (we all see lots of technically good pics with nice props etc and an awkward looking baby)
That one above is great imo, clean, tidy and says a lot....
Do all that with you current lenses and you'll get some corkers ;) besides, with 'your' baby they will be the best pics ever ;)

Anything from a fisheye to a telephoto! All depends on what you want to end up with. Large aperture or small? Depends on whether you want just the eyes in focus or the whole body - a fast lens gives you both options. You could always buy a 35mm or 50mm (or, if budget allows, both!) second hand, then flog it/them on once you've finished with them.

Ian, the 35 will be great. I also use my 18-70 (usually be towards f4 or f) loads with flash for my girls at iso200, no probs.
Folk go on about slight distortion with 35, but imo with babies you can get away with it (its very slight at worst)
Your lens setup is fine, just pay more attention to 'basics' and forget iso stuff so much - backgrounds (your house will be full of background 'stuff' shortly ;) ), some natural light, relaxed baby position (we all see lots of technically good pics with nice props etc and an awkward looking baby)
That one above is great imo, clean, tidy and says a lot....
Do all that with you current lenses and you'll get some corkers ;) besides, with 'your' baby they will be the best pics ever ;)

All ready have clutter building up and I swear the baby all ready has 3 times as many clothes as I do and it's not even here yet! We have a light coloured sofa and the cushions are almost the same colour but nice and large too so I think the baby layed out on one of these will work well and in a comfy pose too! I saw a picture on here and the pose didn't look right. I think It's just a case of I will play about and see what I can do. Like I said above looking after a friends baby this weekend so going to get some practice with them.

Anything from a fisheye to a telephoto! All depends on what you want to end up with. Large aperture or small? Depends on whether you want just the eyes in focus or the whole body - a fast lens gives you both options. You could always buy a 35mm or 50mm (or, if budget allows, both!) second hand, then flog it/them on once you've finished with them.

I have a range going from 16mm-300mm over two zoom lenses so not stuck for options. All ready have the 35mm f1.8 prime so I can't see 50mm is going to give me much more now possibly make less as it will give me a smaller field of view. Though I do keep looking at second hand 50mm f1.8 primes.

Back