What lens for more reach

Plus you lose a couple of stops of light.

With a 2X converter. With a 1.4X converter you lose one stop. That usually makes AF a bit more difficult. The big question is whether the inevitable detail resolution loss due to the optical imperfections of the teleconverter in enough to negate the improvement in reach, i.e., you'd get as much detail by simply cropping the image without the teleconverter. That depends in part on the quality of the teleconverter, and in part on the quality of the lens. That's why in general teleconverters are only recommended for top quality lenses. So check out what people think of the specific model of teleconverter you have in mind, on your specific lens.

The problem is that lots of people are so impressed by simple numbers like megapixels and focal lengths that they're convinced their teleconverter must be an improvement, since the image looks bigger through the viewfinder, and in a print, but haven't actually bothered to test whether there's any more detail resolution.

There is a cheap sigma 70-300 lens that’s supposed to be awful but I’m not sure which exact model. The one you refered to is £50 on MPB so won’t be in the same league as your sigma 70-200.

I’ve not used any teleconverter on sigma 70-200 but regularly used them on the Nikon equivalent 70-200 VR2 (and other Nikon lenses). I mainly used the 1.4 TC as it gave very little difference that I could see. Teleconverters will always be a trade off in IQ/AF performance against extra focal length, the amount is very much dependant on what lens you are attaching it to. If it’s a top quality prime or zoom it and only the 1.4TC it won’t be so bad, the 2x TCs take a bigger hit but it can be surprising, the Nikon 2x mk3 TC works surprisingly well on the Nikon 300 f2.8 lenses.

Most second hand teleconverter should there price ok so you could always buy one for the right price, try it and sell it on without too much los# if it’s not what you need.

A while back I wrote this for my website about teleconverter and my experiences with them:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/pemWGeihe1GJz/

And this one about cropping v teleconverter which was based on internet viewing rather than printing:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/srrFrhs4dh3yl/

try the nikon 18-300mm or the nikon 200-500 which is a f5.6 its brilliant

Back