What lens for Nikon D7000.

Name
Magda
Edit My Images
No
Hi
I'm buying my first DSLR (Nikon D7k) at the end of this month and I have trouble deciding what lens to get for it.

The camera will be mainly used for photographing a my very active 3 year old brother and my dog. As well as Wildlife and landscapes/scenery.
But generally speaking my brother and dog are the priority.

My budget is £200 if paying by cash but I can stretch the budget up to £500 if the lens would be available to buy in Curry's or wherever where paying by monthly installments is available.

Someone suggested to me Tamron 17-50 f/2,8 VC but I've read some bad reviews about it on the internet, so I'm not really sure...

Hi
I'm buying my first DSLR (Nikon D7k) at the end of this month and I have trouble deciding what lens to get for it.

The camera will be mainly used for photographing a my very active 3 year old brother and my dog. As well as Wildlife and landscapes/scenery.
But generally speaking my brother and dog are the priority.

My budget is £200 if paying by cash but I can stretch the budget up to £500 if the lens would be available to buy in Curry's or wherever where paying by monthly installments is available.

Someone suggested to me Tamron 17-50 f/2,8 VC but I've read some bad reviews about it on the internet, so I'm not really sure...

Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC gets my vote, very sharp and can be had on these forums for under £200.

I used one on my D7000 before upgrading to Nikon 17-55.

The 2.8 will allow fast shutter speeds for your active brother and dog and even in poorer light the high ISO capabilities of the D7K will get you there.

The 35 1.8 prime is also a very good lens for the money, can be had for £110ish second hand and great for indoors.

Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC gets my vote, very sharp and can be had on these forums for under £200.

I used one on my D7000 before upgrading to Nikon 17-55.

The 2.8 will allow fast shutter speeds for your active brother and dog and even in poorer light the high ISO capabilities of the D7K will get you there.

The 35 1.8 prime is also a very good lens for the money, can be had for £110ish second hand and great for indoors.
Thanks for answer :)

Since I'm a DLSR beginner and I won't use a tripod, wouldn't the VC version be better for me though?

£60 difference is not that much. I can afford it, the question is; Is it worth it?

Thanks for answer :)

Since I'm a DLSR beginner and I won't use a tripod, wouldn't the VC version be better for me though?

£60 difference is not that much. I can afford it, the question is; Is it worth it?

VC comes into its own usually with longer focal lengths, or would be helpful if you we're shooting non moving objects with slow shutter speeds. With the little boy or dog the main issue would be getting a fast shutter speed so VC isn't as important.

I would suggest buying second hand, both camera and lenses. Especially as now the £100 cashback on the D7000 has just ended. It'll give you more spare cash for good glass which is often the most significant part of a good photo.

The Nikkor 16-85 looks very good on a D7000...

Horses for courses.

The 16-85 is a great focal 'walkabout' length but isn't a particularly fast lens for indoor, stick a flashgun on camera for bouncing light to help freeze the action then you have the best of everything.

Jessops are doing 6 months interest free credit - their prices do seem slightly more expensive but the offer might offer you some breathing space on the budget

I have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC on my D7000 and its a great combination, the lens has really come into its own since I upgraded my camera from a D3100

My mate has the new Sigma contemporary 17-70 which also gives nice results on his D7100

The Nikkor 35 f1.8 prime is also worth having especially at the low price they sell them for

I have the 35 f1.8 and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I love them both, but also need to add a 55-200 and 85 f1.8 to my bag.

But if you really don't know get a 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and learn it inside out. It won't be you're dream lens but by seeing how it limits your photography you'll be able to make a more informed choice.

For photos of kids and pets, the versatility of the 16-85vr is very useful. Having that extra telephoto reach will mean you get more shots outside.

Hi I use a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 for my lively 2 year old. I have other lenses but that one is on most of the time. Its a nice small lens, cheap but very good quality.

Thank you for advice :)
I decided to go with Tamron 17-50 VC.
Just another question. Does anyone know any trustworthy online stores (other than Jessops) where I can buy this lens?

Hello again.
I've been on holiday and unfortunately I still haven't bought any lens for my D7k.

Anyway I just wanted to ask what is the key difference between Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G and NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G lens?
And why the 55-300 is sooo much cheaper?

Also what would be better to get?
Tamron 17-50VC + Nikkor 55-300 (or Nikkor 55-200)
or just Nikkor 18-200mm (or Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 )

I don't think there is any point in getting both 17-50 and 18-200, is there? Since the 18-200 covers almost the same focal lenght as 17-50.

Thanks for any answers :)

Last edited:
I have used the 18-200 and it's a pretty good walk about lens.
If you want a shorter zoom and can find one 2nd hand I would highly recommend the 18-70, unfortunately nikon don't make them anymore but it is a much under rated lens for the price and you can pick them cheaply these days.
Used mine at the weekend carraige driving event on both my D300 and D7100 with very good results

Last edited:
I don't think there is any point in getting both 17-50 and 18-200, is there? Since the 18-200 covers almost the same focal lenght as 17-50.

Thanks for any answers :)

I've got the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for my D7000 and it's an excellent combination.

With the quality of the high ISO performance on the D7000, I'd say that the f2.8 factor isn't a priority, and that you'll be better off with something with more reach like the 16-85mm (which is also that little bit wider than average for your landscape work).

The 18-70mm mentioned above is also a quality lens, but people don't seem to like parting with them.

Another alternative is the 18-135mm that used to come with cameras like the D80.

If you need something for low light, then I'll champion the 35mm f1.8 also.

With the quality of the high ISO performance on the D7000, I'd say that the f2.8 factor isn't a priority

That depends on the affect you are trying to achieve though. I shoot at f2.8 quite a bit as I like the shallow DOF. I'm not sure what the Tamron is like wide open though?

Hi,

I would recommend you have a look at the Tamron 28-75 2.8. Have a look on Flickr for discussions on this lens. This is a good lens for the D7k. Also, due to the crop factor this lens is great for portraits.

Due to the crop factor, its a preferred lens for a DX camera rather than FF, which it is designed for.

I was like yourself and searched around for the best combo for the D7k, after reading reviews and trying lenses, I settled for the 28-75 Tamron and a Nikon 70-300vrII.

I tried the cheaper 18-55 to see what focal length the majority of my shots were, and I found I didn't need a wider angle lens. I also tried the Sigma 17-50, a nice lens but I wasn't shooting that much in that range.

I am currently looking for a top end P&S camera which will give me some wide angle coverage if needed. I tried a LX7 and I found the colours to yellow for my liking and I have also tried a X20, but the sight of seeing the lens barrel in the viewfinder has put me off.

The search continues.

Back