Beginner What lens is right for me?

Name
matthew
Edit My Images
No
hello everyone, Ive been doing photography for around three months now and have a canon 50D and 4 lenses. i do a lot of car and motorsport photography. i love using my 50mm 1.8 to do shallow depth of field shots if there is something in my background i wish not to see clearly but i find myself in situations where I'm to close at 50mm. Can anyone advise me on any walk around lens which go down to a 2.8 aperture ? I'm on a bit of a budget. I've been looking at the sigma 24-70 2.8 and it looks pretty good but id like to hear what you lot would suggest :)
Matthew

I had the Sigma 24-70mm for a while - its a bit of a lump and heavy too, but optically very good

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't part with my canon 24-70 2.8 for love nor money. Excellent and very versatile. Very heavy though not excactly a walk around lens.

I'd look for a Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, used they go for reasonable money, both are optically good.

Ok... what focal length do you find you're using most? Do you find you're hitting the end of a range (e.g. 18mm) and wishing you had wider? Or longer at the 55mm end - without having to swap?

There are so many choices, sub 50mm that a bit more guidance on what f/l you use most would allow a better recommendation. You could even consider a 35mm prime...

As you mention you find the 50mm too close, having something a bit wider and better quality than the 18-55mm kit lens might be useful.
Canon have just announced a new EF-S 24mm f2.8 pancake lens. Its only £179 for pre-order on Wex http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-ef-s-24mm-f2-8-pancake-lens/p1560200.

Have you been using the 18-55mm lens at all for your car photography? If you have, you could look at the EXIF data for photos taken with it and see where you're sitting on the focal length. If not, then use it and check the photos afterwards.

That should help you find what you need.

The tamron 17-50 f2.8 is really good. You can get vc (vibration control) or non vc. I've got the non vc as is ment to be sharper and as I bought it four mainly landscapes I use a tripod anyway. But I have had very little problem handheld.

Edit: I bought mine to replace the 18-55 kit lens. The tamron is loads better.

Last edited:
Yes the Tamron 17-50 is a bit of a bargain, and very popular so plenty of used ones around.

Back