What lens Next

Chaz Photos

Jack Elam
Name
Chaz
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I have been upping my lens and cant thinks what the best lens to complete my range should be
I have the 70-200mm L 2.8 IS and the 100-400 L IS
My other lens are Sigma 10-20mm which I am happy with and the 17-85 IS, it is this one I would like to be one faster and two L glass BUT there is not one that covers this range.
SO what do you think? I like the range this lens gives me.

how about a fast prime?

depending on which bit of the 17-85 you use, you could get 1.4 in (IIRC?) 35, 50 or 85mm, or indeed even in 1.2 for the last two.

If L glass is a must then about the Canon 17-55mm IS f/2.8 as it's often said it is L glass quality.
Obviously a shorter focal length but I think it's the closest you will get to with regard to L glass and a fast lens.

The only reason the 17-55 is not L labelled is because its for crop, surely? It is classed as a professional lens by Canon and has the optics and build quality to match many L lenses.

I agree with the above posts. The 17-55 is about the only L-glass standard lens which is a decent fast walkabout for cropped sensors. If you're not fussed about IS, go for the Tamron 17-50 as it's not far off in terms of sharpness, and you'd be saving yourself over £400!

You can't go wrong with either the tamron 17-50mm (version II just been announced), or the canon 17-55mm. Another alternative is the canon 15-85mm, but like the VII tamron limited reviews.

http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-15-85mm/

I agree with the above posts. The 17-55 is about the only L-glass standard lens which is a decent fast walkabout for cropped sensors. If you're not fussed about IS, go for the Tamron 17-50 as it's not far off in terms of sharpness, and you'd be saving yourself over £400!

Or wait for the VC version of the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 which was released in Japan yesterday.

The biggest problem with the Canon 17-55mm F/2.8 is that it's build quality and sealing does not match it's L-class IQ and L-class price tag. It also comes without the hood (£40 extra) and protective pouch that are supplied with L lenses.

Without doubt it offers the best IQ within it's focal range for crop cameras. I think it is £200 overpriced, but it did not prevent me from buying one. Build quality is somewhere in the middle of standard EF-S and L lenses.

If I hadn't already purchased the 17-55mm I would be eagerly awaiting the release of the new Tamron 17-50mm VC (IS) lens. You will get a hood and pouch with this and it will cost several hundred pounds less. IQ is likely to be very close to the Canon lens if the previous non-VC model is anything to go by.

I recently went from the 17-85 to a 24-105L it is a huge improvement. My other lens are a Sigma 10-20 and 100-400L like yourself-I cannot recommend this lens enough!! There are some good deals about on white box ex 5DII kit versions to-uk sourced circa £700 if you negotiate!!

Unless Chaz is very very indecisive, I think it's fair to assume he's made his choice in the 2 years since he asked the question :p

Back