What lens now?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Having bought my D50 in April with 18-70mm lens and added a 70-300mm (G) and 10-20mm I decided to try a "one lens" solution - due to the hassle of sourcing an 18-200mm VR Nikon lens (unless you go to the US or try your luck on Ebay - even the HK suppliers struggle to get them!) I decided to try a Sigma 18-200mm and so far so good - I don't miss the wide end the 10-20mm gave me (in fact I hardly used that anyway) but I do miss the long end - I was considering adding something to go to 400mm (300mm never felt like enough anyway :naughty:) - would it be better to get a lens like the Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Lens or something shorter like the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF HSM Lens and add a 1.4 tele/conv (?) - Budget wise I can stretch to about £500 ...
Paul (y)
PS - I meant to mention I also have a Nikon f1.8 50mm

evilowl said:
What are you going to be shooting and in what light?
Hi evilowl thanks for looking in - nothing specific but the longer reach would help when I do a bit of wildlife or motorsports etc - I was trying to get some waterski action recently & could really have done with more reach! - the Grebes on my local canal are quite shy too & don't fall for the old stale bread ruse like the greedy ducks & swans :LOL: - the light along the canal is poor with overhanging trees etc so I suppose the more expensive f4 might be better although the tele/conv will push that up a stop - any help would be much appreciated - Paul (y)

If I were you I would look at a second hand Sigma 100-300 f/4 and grab a 1.4x TC for when you need more reach in good light. I don't have one but the reviews seem good. You should be able to pick up both on ebay within your budget

evilowl said:
If I were you I would look at a second hand Sigma 100-300 f/4 and grab a 1.4x TC for when you need more reach in good light. I don't have one but the reviews seem good. You should be able to pick up both on ebay within your budget
evilowl - picked up an f4 & TC for £430 on another Forum (by posting a "Wanted" ad) (y) - should get it for the weekend (away on hotel break in Gloucester & hope to get to Slimbridge)
Cheers - Paul ;)

Nice one, be sure to post some shots both with and without the TC :)

that's a great lens at a really good price :)

dod said:
that's a great lens at a really good price :)
Thanks dod - one of your fellow countrymen sold me it (really nice guy from Ross-shire - Inverness way I believe?) - well chuffed & can't wait to try the lens & TC out ... Paul (y)

Back