What lens to get for my canon + what flash?

Name
:)
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I have a Canon 550d and a standard kit lens. I now want to purchase another lens. I would like one for producing portraits and a zoom one (mostly for taking pictures of my dog).

What lenses would you suggest I invest in please?

Also what flash model should I get?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Budget?

What do you feel your current kit doesn't do?

For portraits the 50mm prime f/1.8 is cheap and a very good lens. For a zoom I would suggest you borrow or hire one initially to see exactly what type of zoom you want. For wildlife most people want as much zoom as they can get. If you want to get a lens anyway then maybe the 55-250 kit lens which is very good for the money and you should be able to get it second hand.

for taking pics of my dogs (have a look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/fudgepuddle/sets/72157625454572366/ ) I've really enjoyed using my Nikkor 55-200. However, I own a cropped sensor Nikon camera, so I'm not sure if cannon do an equivalent lens.

The 55-200 gives me good reach and gets me close enough when they're off bouncing, but for a closer portrait type shot it's a little too 'close' if you know what I mean.

For closer portraits I've really enjoyed using my sigma 17-50 2.8, but also have a 50mm 1.4 - at the moment the sigma is my favourite ;)

I can't really help you with flash as I don't know the cannon range, soz
x

Get the best Canon flash you can afford.

Hi,

I have a Canon 550d and a standard kit lens. I now want to purchase another lens. I would like one for producing portraits and a zoom one (mostly for taking pictures of my dog).

What lenses would you suggest I invest in please?

Also what flash model should I get?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

The Canon 55-250IS is a belter of a lens for the price, can be picked up for £140 ish new - £100 ish 2nd hand. There is a mark II version out, which Amazon were doing cheaper then the mark I last week - there is no difference with the optics between the 2.

+1 for the above. I got mine off the forum and couldn't tell it from a new one. Great lens and a natural companion to the 18-55 IS kit lens.
As for flash, I'd suggest you have a look at a Nissin Di866 or Di622. The Di866 has about the same functions as a Canon 580EX II but is available for around £200 instead of the £300+ of the Canon. The Di622 is similar to the Canon 430EX II and is available for under £100. Both the Nissin's ban be wirelessly controlled from a suitable camera (7D and 5D2 etc.) and are very well made. I have a 580EX II and one of each of the Nissin's and have no problems using any on my 5D3.

I'd heartily recommend the 50mm f/1.8 Mk II that's been suggested above. From the 18-55mm, it really lets you try things that you just can't with the kit lens.

I'm in a similar boat regards the flash as well - the link above for a Canon 550 doesn't seem to link to any particular model specifically. Is it better than a 430 EX II for example (the one I'm currently considering?).

In your position I'd get the 430ex because it has greater functionality with modern cameras. It's range is adequate for most uses too.

Some advise from when I was in your position I upgraded to a sigma 18-200mm os lens which was great to cover most focal lengths and a nissin di866 flash it's brill in comparison to the 580 ex ii the only real difference is canon 580 is weather proof!

+1 for the 550 2nd hand. Budget for £130 ish give or take, depending on condition. It will satisfy pretty much all of your needs

Word of warning though, its huge. Apparently the biggest flash Canon have produced. Its a whopper

Back