what lens to get ?

Name
gary horner
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a canon eos 400d with a EF-S 18-55 lens at present but require a telescopic lens. i'm on a tight budget and new to photography . i,ve looked at the ef 75- 300 f4-5.6 III usm lens but read bad reports also looked at the EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS would this be better or is there another lens that would suit me better. i would be using it to take pics of my kids playing sport and the usual stuff. If someone could help that would be great.Ive seen the EF-S 55-250 IS for £180 at the camerabox isthis a good price?

Hello garth
I would go for the EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS. I have seen nothing but good reviews for this lens. Once you have used an IS lens you wont go back. Although it wont be of much help while photographing sport.

thanks for that im not to worried about the sport as im still very much an amateure photographer

Welcome to the forum....

I think you'd be very disappointed with the 75-300.....it is capable of taking reasonable but shots but it's very hit and miss being intolerant of lighting conditions and very soft at the long end....300 is barely usable so it's not really any advantage over the 250 in that respect.

The 55-250 gets reasonable reviews for its price and may be the best option within your price range....don't discount getting a second hand one on here.

Bob

Another budget lens to consider is the Sigma 70-300 APO version. No IS but an extra 100mm reach which is useful for sport. I've heard good reviews of the 55-200IS as well.

You may see the Sigma 70-300 DG Macro which is about £ 90 but isn't a brilliant lens. Pay extra for the APO version.

hes got it on for£175 this seemss ott as new from camera box is£180

hes got it on for£175 this seemss ott as new from camera box is£180

This includes a lens hood (about £12), delivery (£5) and a filter (£10-15 maybe). Offer £160 and you've saved around £45 (about 25%) on a 3 month old lens.

Bob

Back