what lens to use??

Name
alan
Edit My Images
No
im taking my nikon d50 to a race meeting in the next couple of weeks and was wondering what lens would be best as i havent a clue ive got a 18-70mm at moment but been looking at 55-200mm and 70-300mm lenses today what would you guys reccomend im only using the auto settings at the moment as im a complete novice at the moment.

thanks for any help its much appreciated

70-300 will be better due to the zoom and if it is a VR lens.

id pick the 300mm lens.you may need to switch to shutter"s" mode as auto might not keep up with the speed of the object your shooting.

I would agree with the other two guys, 70-300 is a great second lens to go with the one that came with your camera. I had a few cheapo 70-210ish lens (by cheap I mean £40-50) and then bought what to me at that time was an expensive lens in the tamron 70-300 macro. It was a great lens and I'd recommend trying to get one. Second hand you should be able to get for £70-80.

You mentioned the 55-200. I would advise staying away from this range; either go for wide-normal angle lens that go up to about 50/70mm or for telezooms that go from 70mm upwards. If you get a good deal on a 70-300, stand any extra pocket money on a 50mm f1.8. As a newbie there's nothing anyone can say to explain why, you just need to get one and try using it at the wider apertures (smaller f numbers).

I'm going to disagree with the above posters, if the choice is between the 55-200 VR and the 70-300 VR and the latter is within budget then fine, get that. However if it's between a Nikon 55-200 VR and one of the cheap Sigma or Tamron (or even the non-VR Nikon) 70-300mm lenses then get the 55-200mm as it's far, far better than any of those.

ive only looked at the nikon lenses so far anyone reccomend somewhere to buy one as ive only been looking on ebay so far and what sort of prices i should expect to pay

You don't need VR for motorsport. You many need it for other subjects. 200 is a little short for circuit photography from most circuits. 300 is more ideal. However I'd rather crop down a sharp shot at 200mm than bin a soft shot taken at 300mm.

You don't need VR for motorsport. You many need it for other subjects. 200 is a little short for circuit photography from most circuits. 300 is more ideal. However I'd rather crop down a sharp shot at 200mm than bin a soft shot taken at 300mm.

True, but the older non-VR Nikon 70-300mm is woeful, the VR model is a much better lens all round.

I use a Tamron 70-300 with my Nikon D50
I do get some good results with it, but I am just starting to learn how to use the camera properly so these images are with just basic setting and no photoshop.
for the money it has been great.
DSC_0149-1.jpg

cd8108e8.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0332-1.jpg

Thanks
I think if all you do with your photos is keep them for yourself and put a few up on line it is a good starting lens and if it does get damaged or dirty it is not the end of the world

Back