What lens.

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys ive got £400 budget for wildlife lens and seen sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS HSM for that price. Is it worth buying or hold on to try find bargain on sigma 150-600mm. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

What body are you using? Fx or crop?

It would help if you gave an indication as to what sort of wildlife you are intending to photograph. Remember if you are going to go 'cheap', go cheap on the body and not the lens!! Glass can last a LOT longer than a camera body - sometimes better to wait and save and get a better lens (even second hand).
Good luck!

Sorry forgot to say im using canon 750d crop. mainly use lens for birds.

Last edited:
I've always said a cheap body with a canon L series would take better pics than a 5DSR with a milk bottle on front

150-500 I reckon then

I've always said a cheap body with a canon L series would take better pics than a 5DSR with a milk bottle on front
Neither of those lenses are 'milk bottles' though, they are both rather good!

I'd save a couple of hundred more and look for a 150-600c used, or even a new one for not that much more via Amazon.

Neither of those lenses are 'milk bottles' though, they are both rather good!

I'd save a couple of hundred more and look for a 150-600c used, or even a new one for not that much more via Amazon.

I didn't say they were! I wouldn't of recommended the 150-500 if I hadn't! On crop body it will give you 750 on dx anyway

800 on canon crop

I'd be surprised if you can find a 150-600mm in good condition for £400 tbh. Haven't sigma just announced a price hike? In which case I'd imagine used prices will go up if anything rather than down. As Canon, Nikon, and now Sigma have announced (or already made) price hikes I can't see it being long before Tamron do the same.

I'd be surprised if you can find a 150-600mm in good condition for £400 tbh. Haven't sigma just announced a price hike? In which case I'd imagine used prices will go up if anything rather than down. As Canon, Nikon, and now Sigma have announced (or already made) price hikes I can't see it being long before Tamron do the same.

No you won't, but save a couple hundred more and you might get a used one? I think it might be worth getting the newer / longer lens as there are a lot of advantages for not much more outlay.

Having used the 150-500 for a couple of years, I would recommend it as you get fantastic bang for your buck. The focus may be a tad slower than the newer 150-600's but I never had an issue. I only changed it for faster glass (120-300 f2.8 Sport).

Back