What light do you edit your photos by?

I didn,t realize that the colormunki display does not calibrate your printer as i first thought.:puke:o_O

There are two versions - The Display and the Photo. The Photo version can create printer ICC profiles, the Display version is just a monitor calibration tool.

Yep i have been reading about it,i would like the photo one but i can,t justify spending extra to get it,so i don,t know if i will be getting any of them now.
I don,t see the point just for the monitor if the display one only does that.:|:(:shrug:

Canned printer profiles are pretty good. Also calibrating your screen should get it in the ballpark with any lab you send prints to.

I don't do any important printing in house but when I run off a quick print on my inkjet it looks fine.

What is canned printer profiles?:)

You have lost me,i have had my epson printer for a few years it,s nothing special but i don,t know where to look for what you are talking about.:shrug::)

You have lost me,i have had my epson printer for a few years it,s nothing special but i don,t know where to look for what you are talking about.:shrug::)

I suggest you read this - http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/und-print-mgmt.shtml - or another tutorial on colour managed printing.

There's literally no point calibrating a printer if you don't know how to use the profile the calibration produces. And there's no need to calibrate a printer if the profiles that the printer manufacturer creates for you are good enough. If you're not using them then the first step is to start.

Cheers for that Jonathan,now i understand it(y),still undecided about getting the monitor calibrator.:shrug::wacky::bang:

Yep i have been reading about it,i would like the photo one but i can,t justify spending extra to get it,so i don,t know if i will be getting any of them now.
I don,t see the point just for the monitor if the display one only does that.:|:(:shrug:

Do you do your own printing? If not, you don't need the Photo version. Having a calibrated monitor is all you need if you use a reputable printing service, as they will also calibrate, and assuming you embed the correct colour profile for the printer, you'll have no problems. You only need the Photo version to create your own print profiles in order to do your own printing.

Either way... you still need a calibrated monitor, even if it's just to ensure that your images display correctly on other well calibrated equipment. It's the only way you can say with total confidence, that you are are producing anything with accuracy.

Last edited:
I don,t print out photos & it is not very often i get prints done,so the jury is still out on this one,i am arguing with myself for & against.:LOL::bang::runaway::shrug::thinking:

Having used that little calabrize free prog to try,i have ran it & also worked out about profiles for the printer as well & managed to print out a photo that looks like it does on my monitor now.:):banana:
So i have decided to order the colormunki display now,when it arrives & i install it i take it i can just delete the old profiles i was playing with & use the new colormunki ones.:)(y)
ORDERED.:)

Last edited:
I don,t print out photos & it is not very often i get prints done,

So the Photo version would have been utterly wasted.. you did the right thing.

Yep after doing a lot of reading & looking at youtube tutorials i have to agree.(y)

So i have decided to order the colormunki display now,when it arrives & i install it i take it i can just delete the old profiles i was playing with & use the new colormunki ones.:)(y)
ORDERED.:)

You won't need to delete them. Just make sure the new profile is set to default.

I was thinking that might be the case,cheers for that David.:)(y)

Colormunki arrived this morning & i got it calibrated,very easy to do.:)(y)

Wow,what a difference when i printed a photo out.:)(y)

Glad you're happy with it :)

I hope you switched off the ambient light compensation feature.

Glad you're happy with it :)

I hope you switched off the ambient light compensation feature.
Yes i did switch it off,one thing i am unsure of is i got a free (Kodak Professional Color Management Check-Up Kit) dvd & a set of test files,i don,t know if this should also be used or would it conflict with the colour setup already there now.:)

Last edited:
^^^
Anyone know about that kodak as above.?:)

WHat kind of files? Just image files?

Ahh... just remembered what this is.. It's just reference files to visually judge your monitor by.. just to ensure that what is on your screen, matches the highly calibrated prints. SO you'd view the images supplied on your calibrated screen, and then compare what's on yrou screen to the corresponding print. This however... only works in correct lighting, which is why they supply RHEM strips in the kit. A RHEM strip will indicate if your viewing conditions are good or bad. Bare in mind though, that the RHEM strips may be for D50 lighting, not D65. If you just have normal domestic room lighting, the RHEM strips will probably tell you that you are viewing under poor conditions... and they'd be right :)

It doesn't install anything that will conflict with your screen calibration. Basically the kit is just some reference files, corresponding prints, RHEM strips and some ICC profiles that you really don't need.

The kit should come with a PDF manual on the disk.

Yep i thought as much i might just sell it as it is unopened,i see they are about £35-£39:)

I found that under my lighting the RHEM strips showed. You can upload a custom image to the before /after of the Colormunki which I did and it made there appear to be a difference between the print and screen. I'll be honest and say I ignored this and stayed with the calibrated monitor settings.

The biggest issue I had after was in Photoshop, ensure you convert the file before saving so you save SRGB rather than Pro Photo icc profile and you'll be winning :)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

I don,t think i will bother using the Kodak Professional Color Management Check-Up Kit,things are working well now.:)

I found that under my lighting the RHEM strips showed.

Wat's your lighting though? I think the Kodak kit's RHEM strips are calibrated to D50.

The biggest issue I had after was in Photoshop, ensure you convert the file before saving so you save SRGB rather than Pro Photo icc profile and you'll be winning :)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

If it's for web use, yes.. sRGB. For archiving purposes though, you probably want to save your 16bit TIFF files in Adobe RGB1998 to take advantage of the gamut the camera delivered.... especially if you have a screen that can display that gamut. Some inkjet printers can actually exceed sRGB as well... so sRGB for web.. Adobe RGB for archive... that's how I roll anyway :)

I was jus looking for a thread on light for processing. I have a basic Dell P191S 19! monitor, and I was going out to buy a normal desk lamp, but thought would check on this site first about lighting. brilliant. have ordered the prolite bulbs Pookeyhead linked to.

I havent even started learning about processing yet, apart from microsoft edit that comes with your laptop, so again, have learnt off this website. thanks

Back