What lighting equipment for a beginner who wants to get into portrait photography?

Name
Ravinder Bindra
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I want to start doing more portrait photography and I am looking for some help on what equipment to get. I obviously have a DSLR camera and a few lenses. I have one Nikon SB800 flash and a reflector. Most of my photography will be outdoors as I don't have a studio or anything so something I can carry around with me. I guess I'll need a softbox or two? And perhaps another flash...And a diffuser? And some stands to put them on. I don't need anything fancy as I am just starting off. I was thinking budget wise - around £200. Can someone spec something up? Many thanks. Ravinder.

Buy a softbox or umbrella for your flash, and use that and the reflector. That's more than enough to get you started.
Have a look at the Lencarta website.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. Is it worth buying one of each? What kind of softbox is recommended? Do I just need one or worth getting two? Thanks.

Ok, thanks. Is it worth buying one of each? What kind of softbox is recommended? Do I just need one or worth getting two? Thanks.
To start off I'd use one softbox as the main light, and the reflector for fill. I'd get a folding softbox.
I have a Photo R folding softbox which works great, and wasn't expensive. You might find you need a more powerful flash though. I use a Lencarta atom 180 with the bare bulb flash.

https://www.cameraking.co.uk/phot-r-95cm-octagon-softbox-with-bowens-mount-and-honeycomb-grid/

https://www.cameraking.co.uk/phot-r-l-bowens-s-type-flash-bracket-for-canon-nikon/

https://www.cameraking.co.uk/phot-r-bowens-s-type-speedlite-bracket/

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the info. So, will my SB 800 not be powerful enough if I use this?

Missed from your list is a triggering mechanism, the inbuilt Nikon system is fine for your living room, but no good over distance and useless in daylight.

Your flashgun will be fine for a small softbox... as long as you don't try to 'light' something in a harsh midday sun. You'll get great images with a speedlight at sunset time with a speedlight.

So you'll need radio triggers, ordinarily I'd recommend Yongnuo YN622N TX and a YN622N as a receiver, but in your shoes I'd read up on the Godox X1 n trigger with Nikon receiver for your flash.

Then a stand, I recommend the Lencarta midrange stand

Then a Godox bracket and softbox, start with the cheap 80cm pop up box (available from Lencarta too) and see how you get on. I reckon that lots about £130 with a reflector, if you want to you can then pick up a 95cm Octa

Hi Phil

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I do have sender and receiver for my flash but I don't think it's very good. The problem I have is if I take more then one shot in quick succession, the flash will only go off on the first click but not the second. Like there's some sort of delay. Is this down to the receiver or the flash? My friend has the same flash and doesnt have this problem. Thanks.

As always good advise from both Phil and Bob, when shooting outside you may need a helper or some sand bags to hold down the light stand with the softbox.

With regards to trigger, what make/model are they?

Also make sure the battery on the sb800 is fully charged.

Thanks

Hi Phil

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I do have sender and receiver for my flash but I don't think it's very good. The problem I have is if I take more then one shot in quick succession, the flash will only go off on the first click but not the second. Like there's some sort of delay. Is this down to the receiver or the flash? My friend has the same flash and doesnt have this problem. Thanks.

Flash units have a 'recharge time' - which is the time needed for the batteries to charge up enough power for the flash to fire.
The higher the power you have set, the longer this will be - but it also does vary from one model of flashgun to another.

If you are shooting at full power, but your friend is on 1/4 power (for example) you would see a noticeable difference in recharge time.

There should be an indicator light on the flash to show when it it ready.

You can test if it is a flash or trigger problem by setting up a test - take a set of quick shots with the flash mounted on camera, and see if the flash fires all the time.
Adjust settings until it just does.
Then take the flash off camera and fire via triggers (but keep the flash to subject distance the same).
If the results a appreciably different, then it sounds liek a trigger issue.

Hi Phil

I'd need more detail to diagnose, but to be honest, I doubt it's a trigger problem.

More likely you're firing the flash at full power or close to it, or that your batteries aren't tip top, it's more likely a flash charge issue. But only you can test that.

What triggers?
M or TTL?
What batteries in the flash?

The simplest dumbest triggers are OK to start a home studio, but aren't best suited for outdoor use or other 'non- studio' environments.

And the biggest disadvantage of using speedlights is battery management, buying decent batteries, keeping them in good nick, a decent charger etc, can be a bind.

Thank you both. I've posted a link of the triggers that I have above. I am using energizer rechargeable batteries too in the flash. On my last shoot, I think the flash was near enough full power but would need to check this and will to the self test to find out where the issue lies. I'm not sure if M or TTL. I think it's M. I don't know enough about this to be honest.

Thank you both. I've posted a link of the triggers that I have above. I am using energizer rechargeable batteries too in the flash. On my last shoot, I think the flash was near enough full power but would need to check this and will to the self test to find out where the issue lies. I'm not sure if M or TTL. I think it's M. I don't know enough about this to be honest.
I use similar triggers from yongnuo, and they work great.
I use eneloop batteries in my speedlight and the recycle time is quicker.

If I was starting off in portraits, I wouldn't be starting off with OCF, I'd be trying to shoot some good ambient first then using OCF for where problems lie

That said, you could I suppose want dramatic lighting from the offing and hence OCF may well suit

Don't always assume a big light source is the way to go though, you can shoot in full Sun with just your SB800 if no softbox is used, as here

OCF example in full sun.jpg

Dave

Westcott do a decent constant lighting kit for arround £200. You get 2 stands, 2 heads with power leads, 2 bulbs and 2 shoot through umbrellas. Good for indoor. Thay are bringing out a LED bulb version soon which should be more reliable.

Westcott do a decent constant lighting kit for arround £200. You get 2 stands, 2 heads with power leads, 2 bulbs and 2 shoot through umbrellas. Good for indoor. Thay are bringing out a LED bulb version soon which should be more reliable.
But low output continuous lighting is less than ideal for portraiture. Forcing lower shutter speeds and inconsistent colour (at the required exposures, care has to be taken with surrounding light sources).

It's attractive to learners who believe that the WYSIWYG approach and cheap price are a priority, but most people give up after a few frustrating attempts and start asking about flash alternatives.

Many thanks for the responses. I'll see how I get on with this when it arrives. :)

But low output continuous lighting is less than ideal for portraiture. Forcing lower shutter speeds and inconsistent colour (at the required exposures, care has to be taken with surrounding light sources).

It's attractive to learners who believe that the WYSIWYG approach and cheap price are a priority, but most people give up after a few frustrating attempts and start asking about flash alternatives.
Fair points :D

Hi

In the end, I ended up buying these. This ok?

I've left the triggers for now and will give my current ones another shot and see how they get on.

Also, have my eye on a portable flash in case I need it.

https://www.lencarta.com/redline-pro-heavy-duty-air-cushioned-light-stand

https://www.lencarta.com/95cm-profold-folding-octa-softbox

https://www.lencarta.com/str-speedlite-to-s-fit-Adapter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261398780140?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Hmm I'm a bit concerned about the weight of that lightstand.

To me it seems overkill and yes heavy for carrying around. Maybe it's ok if it's only the one but add one more and.....
Ofcource the 360cm in hight can b usefull though it's also a hazle if you have to change settings on the flash itself.

An alternative approach, which would allow you to concentrate on the portraiture & interaction aspect without getting bogged down in lighting gubbins..

What sort of reflector do you have? Most are useless one handed. You can go an awful long way with a small Lastolite trigrip difflector: http://www.theflashcentre.com/Lastolite-Trigrip-Difflector-75cm-Soft-Silver-i10435.html and a similar silver / white reflector. Then perhaps add a suitable stand & clamp.

That'll probably take you up to £200. Sounds expensive but if you're serious about portraiture then you'll probably end up buying something similar anyway. I've got a lot of shoddy reflectors and supports and should just have bought these in the first place.

Back