What locations in the Scottish highlands?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going up to the highlands in June and I'm compiling a list of places of special photographic interest. I'll be based near Fort William. So far I've pencilled in:

Eilean Donan castle
Castle Stalker
Inverie and the Knoydart Peninsula
The Road to the Isles and Glenfinnan viaduct
The Pass of the Cattle
Might get to Skye in which case Portree and those weird shaped mountains

Anything you can add? I want to look at Rannoch Moor too but it's a big place, are there any particular spots for spectacular photos?

You have Glen coa on the way up ti Fort William. There's also a lovely waterfall on the way up also, you can pull over to take a break from driving to snap away :)

You have Glen coa on the way up ti Fort William. There's also a lovely waterfall on the way up also, you can pull over to take a break from driving to snap away :)

Is the waterfall near Buachaille Etive Mor?

go to dores village and theres a small beach opposite the post office (and my mums house) with a small jetty, go at sunset and the pictures of the sun setting on loch ness are amazing

Hi, I love this statement " I'm compiling a list of places of special photographic interest" as to me an Englishman born in the south but lived on the west coast of Scotland for over 22 years the whole of the Highlands is photogenic, no matter where you look. If I could offer one piece of advice DON'T DO THE DRIVING leave it to someone else while you look out the window.
Russ

The canal lock gates at Fort Augustus offer an oasis of something man made amidst all that nature.

I'm up this way every now and again so I'll list a few locations for you.

Glencoe is a must, plenty of places to stop at and plenty of walking routes/vantage points.

9 miles before you hit Fort William you'll see signs for 'Corran Car Ferry'. It costs 7.30 for a car load. Once you're over there you'll be in a place called Ardgour, lovely little place to get pictures. Take a left immedietly off the ferry and travel 6 miles then do a left at the sign for 'Ardgour riding centre' it's a single lane road which elevates a fair bit, lots of great photo opportunities. Further down it runs side by side of Loch Linnhe. You can stay on this road which will eventually lead you to 'Strontian' stay on this road and follow it around to Glenuig and Roshven. Stunning little places with views over to the Isle of Rum.

3 miles past Roshevn you will hit the main road that runs from Fort William to Mallaig. If you go left you will end up in Mallai, plenty of places along that road like the white sands of Morar on your left hand side 3 miles before Mallaig. Just before The Glenfinnan Viaduct on your right (or after on the left if you've come from Fort William) you'll see the nicest little church, great for pictures there.

Once at Glenfinnan just behind the visitor centre you'll see a foot path. Climb it. It's a 4-5 minute walk and you'll get the best vantage point of the monument and the Viaduct itself. The monument over the road costs 3 pounds to go to by the way.

I have pictures of these areas on my Instagram - HERE but I also reccomend doing a tour via Google maps if you want to find hidden places :)

Thanks, didn't see your post until after I got back but I actually ended up doing quite a lot of that anyway! Best bit was Glen Etive, just off the Glencoe road. Beautiful ten mile drive down to the loch on a single track road. Then had to rescue a French couple who had driven into a culvert.

One thing I didn't appreciate was the distances involved and I got thoroughly sick of driving. I was staying in Kinlochleven and Fort William looks just up the road but it's about twenty miles away.

I'm up this way every now and again so I'll list a few locations for you.

Glencoe is a must, plenty of places to stop at and plenty of walking routes/vantage points.

9 miles before you hit Fort William you'll see signs for 'Corran Car Ferry'. It costs 7.30 for a car load. Once you're over there you'll be in a place called Ardgour, lovely little place to get pictures. Take a left immedietly off the ferry and travel 6 miles then do a left at the sign for 'Ardgour riding centre' it's a single lane road which elevates a fair bit, lots of great photo opportunities. Further down it runs side by side of Loch Linnhe. You can stay on this road which will eventually lead you to 'Strontian' stay on this road and follow it around to Glenuig and Roshven. Stunning little places with views over to the Isle of Rum.

3 miles past Roshevn you will hit the main road that runs from Fort William to Mallaig. If you go left you will end up in Mallai, plenty of places along that road like the white sands of Morar on your left hand side 3 miles before Mallaig. Just before The Glenfinnan Viaduct on your right (or after on the left if you've come from Fort William) you'll see the nicest little church, great for pictures there.

Once at Glenfinnan just behind the visitor centre you'll see a foot path. Climb it. It's a 4-5 minute walk and you'll get the best vantage point of the monument and the Viaduct itself. The monument over the road costs 3 pounds to go to by the way.

I have pictures of these areas on my Instagram - HERE but I also reccomend doing a tour via Google maps if you want to find hidden places :)

Last edited:
Back