What macro equipment have you got?

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
I've done a few searches and not come up with anything useful, but I know there are loads of macro shooters out there ;)

I've just got my first macro lens, an MP-E 65mm - here's one of my first shots...

6092452780_30665fd801_d.jpg

Anyway, I was wondering what equipment others use?
- Camera/macro lens(es)?
- Tripod that will get your lens to ground level?
- remote triggers and traps?
- clips, etc for holding subject matter, like a leaf, etc?
- do you ever use a background, coloured or otherwise?

of course, the odd thumbnail to demonstrate your kit helps too :D

Up until Saturday of last week I was using.

Sony a200
Sigma 105mm
Full extension tubes
hvl42am flash
and my own concoction of bracket
and either a coke can diffuser or a modified bought diffuser

and my entire flickr was pretty much taken all with the above other than the odd change in diffuser towards the end.

Of course things don't last and now I have a broken sigma 105mm :( :bang:

Of course this has now persuaded me to pull my finger out and look around for an mpe65 and Canon 40d and some type of flash so I shall just take it as the macro gods giving me a sign :D

Nice set of images - all lit with a single strobe?

How did you break the 105mm??? You can get them s/h for about £250. Ffordes usually have one in. Sony 100mm is supposed to be damn fine too.

As for equipment it is a sony a580, sigma 105mm and a vivitar ring flash which I don't use and a jessops ring flash which I don't use. Usually go for natural light and avoid tripods wherever possible!

Last edited:
My odds n sods.....
Modern stuff
1DMkIV and 1DsMkIII bodies. EF50/2.5 + Life Size converter, EF100/2.8 ISL, EF180/3.5L, MP-E65 lenses. MT-24 Twinlite, Novoflex EOS Bellows and Canon extension tubes. Zacuto Z-Finder loupe for Liveview and split prism focus screen for normal usage.
Older stuff
Canon 20mm and 35mm macrophoto lenses, FD Bellows with EOS mount, Schott KL1500 cold light source with fibre-optic heads, FD50mm macro.
Support
Gitzo G2227 with ballhead and a Wimberley Plamp (extended)

Bob

My setup is also very simple my Canon50d a Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro lens and 580exII

My odds n sods.....
1DMkIV and 1DsMkIII bodies. EF50/2.5 + Life Size converter, EF100/2.8 ISL, EF180/3.5L, MP-E65 lenses. MT-24 Twinlite, Novoflex EOS Bellows and Canon extension tubes. Zacuto Z-Finder loupe for Liveview and split prism focus screen for normal usage.
Bob

I'm guessing you don't do much macro then Bob :D

I use, 550d, EF-S60mm and 430EX on a home made bracket.

Nice set of images - all lit with a single strobe?

Thanks and yup just single flash off camera.

How did you break the 105mm???

I'd Like to say I dropped it or the like but one minute it was ok the next it had decided enough was enough obviously something mechanical inside just gave up which is odd as it's never really been in anything other than manual so no strain from AF or anything,and I do try to take care of my stuff.

i did spot that after my searching but i am also after, as you've noticed, a bit more on equipment used to achieve shots.

How do people protect their lenses when doing falling water droplet shots? skylight filter?

How do people protect their lenses when doing falling water droplet shots? skylight filter?

The worst that can happen is a few splashes of water but generally the lens isn't close enough to get wet...no filter needed.

Bob

35mm 1:1 macro lens, 50mm 1:1 macro lens, 90mm 1:1 macro lens, 100mm 1:1 macro lens, 105mm 1:1 macro lens, set of macro tubes, set of bellows, Raynox DCR-250, Sigma ringflash and Vivitar 1:1 macro teleconverter.

Also bought a Canon MP-E65 lens with MT-24 twinflash a month or two ago from the forum but just cant seem to make up my mind which body to buy for it.

Also bought a Canon MP-E65 lens with MT-24 twinflash a month or two ago from the forum but just cant seem to make up my mind which body to buy for it.

Considering the razor thin DoF with full frame, i'd be reluctant to go with a crop !

although, i've just ordered a rail, so maybe it doesn't really matter :)

Considering the razor thin DoF with full frame, i'd be reluctant to go with a crop !

If you're shooting at 1:1 or better and using the same aperture then the DoF will be the same whether you're on a crop or FF body.

Bob

Back