What Macro?

Mp4

Edit My Images
Yes
Which Macro lens would be good with the canon 400D

Looking at taking pics of flowers / bee's / cats / bugs / flys etc

Budget :shrug:

That's a very broad question to get definitive answer. Do you want the sharpest available, the cheapest or perhaps one that offers good value in terms of quality points per ££?

Sigma are well regarded in this ring and then there is the Tamron 90. I think it feels too light, cheap, nasty and plasticy. But then shoot with it and the sharpness and colour rendition are astoundingly good.

The Canon 180L is a beast to use or behold, amazing quality and a four figure price tag.

It's a real maze of a choice when it comes to macro but the good news is there is a good solution for all snappers. :)

my 60/2.8 efs is a cracker :)

use it for portraits aswell, due to being 96mm on the 7D - very sharp!

We would need your budget.

Most if not all true macro Lenses (1:1 magnification ratio) are primes so to be honest the image quality on them all should be pretty good. It all depends how important other features such as fast focusing and IS is to your needs.

Canon 100mm 2.8. Easy to carry, sharp as a tack, lightning fast focus (and even referred to by some as a 'hidden L'.)
Have used it for portraits and on a focusing rail for macros (and reversed my 50mm on the front as well.)

Bought off Kerso a year or so ago - worth every penny. (y)

I agree with Tom the 100mm 2.8 macro is a cracking lens very happy with mine, also bought from Kerso a month or so ago. Not used it much yet but when I have the results were very good.

:plus1: for the canon 100mm Got mine a few weeks ago now and love it

spike

Another vote for the Canon 100/2.8, fits your budget well (and a lot of second hand copies out as some people upgrade to the 100/2.8 L IS).

Has a much nicer working distance of 15cm at 1:1 than the 60mm one which is 9cm. The focus range limiter switch and USM even make AF usable.

Back