What makes an interesting Macro shot ?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
As I progress along the road of macro photography I seem to come up with more questions than answers. At the mo I am popping away anywhere up to a 100 shots a day mainly flies as that seems to be about all I have in my garden, Out of the 100 or so shots I normally get about 6 or so that I like but very rarely can I put my finger on what makes said photo's appeal to me and I am intrigued to find out what makes a shot interesting to you that have been at it for longer than my self. Here is one I grab yesterday evening and really like if you have time could you pass comment on if you like it or not and why you feel that way.

3627699769_98ae0a815d.jpg

Thanx in advance. Ian

I always seem to like the feel of a shot that gets you down to their level.
Take your Dungfly for example, looking down is really just a record shot I think and god I've taken plenty of those in my time but the same fly species shot from a lower angle give you the feeling of being there at their size:
885714560_bd558c07cb.jpg

Hope this helps

like Alby says getting at eye level is worth the effort. From a personal point of view I find shots "more interesting" if they are composed differently than the norm. I particularly like perched things, ie on the extreme tips of plants. I think this isolated effect makes them more interesting, like so
2617642927_86951afd4d.jpg

also anything challenging is cool, in-flight for example.
as for your shot, its very good but imo the flower is a little distracting and you could be lower down to get that eye contact. colours are smashing though.
hope this helps

Thanks both it helps no end, What set me thinking was that this shot which to me is poor is getting so much more interest than others that I think are far better

3620917392_ee34434919.jpg

Back