Beginner What memory card to go for when shooting video (Canon 60d)

Edit My Images
Yes
So having been offered a decent priced 60d, I sold my 40d & 50d and pounced on it.

But as they were both CF bodies, I now face the task of buying new SD cards for the 60d.

I am guessing a good size and write speed are needed, I was thinking of 8gb or 16gb 80mbs, would that be fast enough?

And if anyone can recommend anywhere other than eBay / amazon to drop on cheap cards, I would appreciate it :)

What bitrate does the camera record video at?

Also, beware that card sizes are in bytes (B) and bitrates are in bits per second (bps). There's a factor of 8 difference.

I can deffo recommend these cards KINGSTON
only £12 each delivered, really fast cards for writing and reading, in fact I ordered another two as they are that good.

IMG_0101.JPG
Don't know what the write speed is of the 60D but if you find out then go to http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/ and have a look around they have tested loads of cards in real cameras.

only info i can find

In the 60D manual is written that SDHC and SDXC cards featurring UHS enable a maximum writing speed of SD Speed Class 10.

The 60D has a max file size / continuous recording limit of 4GB / approx. 12mins at 1080p or 720p
See page 181 of the 60D manual.

It will mainly be for photography, video is just a juicy bonus, and I won't need to be shooting at full 1080p for more than 12 mins at a time :)

having to buy all new cards anyway after jumping from cf to sd

Last edited:
The continuous recording limit is for tax purposes.

4 GB in 12 mins is about 45 Mbps.

Right, so I am going to go for a good brand card (well one that i recognise anyway) and a 45mbps card

thanks guys, your help is much appreciated as usual :)

I went for a

Kingston
16GB SDHC Memory Card
Class 10 45MB/s UHS-I Ultra Speed SD

to start off with

I've had a lot of kingston cards and never been let down :)

Back