What mic for a Canon 5D MKIII?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been asked to shoot a couple of 30 second promo videos for a friend for his business, but I'm aware the sound needs to be spot on, so what would you recommend without spending silly money?

Thanks

It really depends on what the content of the video is. Certainly one of the Rode microphones fitted to the hot shoe of the camera would give better quality than the Mk3 own mic. However if it's simply your friend doing a piece to camera with simple vo as well you could get a wired lavalier microphone. Much cheaper. Also the lavalier type of mic is much better in reducing large room echo which can make audio sound a bit rubbish

Also be aware the audio quality of the Mk 3 isn't fantastic . It suffers from preamp noise nothing to bad but it's there when the gain is turned up. Also I would recommend setting the audio manually. On automatic the auto control can turn the gain up during pauses and give unacceptable hiss. OK you can edit this out but it's another stage you don't need. Also be aware that some microphones only give a mono output. This means you only have a left or right channel for audio. Some NLE's will automatically give you double mono if told to so it's worth checking that the microphone you choose gives you stereo output.

I'd also practice before you go for the main shoot

Amen to Chappers comments, though worth adding that mics intended for dialogue recording are mono only - stereo is used for instrument recordings. I definitely wouldn't recommend using a stereo mic for dialogue as it will pick up too wide a soundstage. You just fix it in the NLE as Chappers stated.

Another tip for a beginner is be careful of handling noise and always keep your headphones on! If you don't it is the equivalent of shooting blind, you'll only found out you had a bad mic cable after the shoot.

I would highly recommend taking someone with you who has experience with audio...even if it costs a bit. Bad sound = doom.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I don't do video at all, hence the request for advice, but this lad is keen for us to give it a go when we do the product shoot, so it's worth giving it a go, nothing ventured etc.
It's not a paying customer, just helping a mate out, but I'd still like it to be decent and worthwhile doing.

Thanks guys

Most NLEs will take a stereo track and centre pan both channels, giving you mono.

Record mono, then use multiple audio tracks in the edit and pan them accordingly.

A lavalier is the easiest to use and will give you great signal to noise levels, just be aware of rustling clothing.

Always monitor the audio, you want it to peak top of the green, with a few transients into yellow.

Record the sound of the empty room, use this to wallpaper over gaps.

Back