What might a new monitor do for me..?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Dell 2408WFP monitor that must be about 12-15 years old.
It works just fine, but I am wondering if screens loose something over time, or more precisely if a new monitor might be worth looking in to/
I could just about accommodate a 27" screen, which would be nice, but other than being newer what else might a new one do that mine doesn't, and can you suggest one or two that might be worth looking at ?
I've not got a lot of money at present so ideally something up to about £400, but it could go higher if there is a good reason to.
Thanks for any help !

Last edited:
At 27" you can go for a 2560 x 1440 pixel screen which gives much more real estate than the 1920 x 1200 monitor you currently have. You will have to accept that all new monitors are at best 16:9 format and yours is possibly the last 16:10. I can't make any suggestions as my 1440p monitor is now seven years old and I was thinking of going to a 32"4K (3840 x 2160) but the price......

Thanks for that Jonathan - seems there is a possible downside in the format, but an extra inch or two is never a bad thing, or so I'm told...
I can't go any bigger than a 27" screen, especially as I'm thinking about getting a bigger printer. Maybe the format will allow more space for the sidebars in my PP software..

I recently bought a 27" 2560*1440 Dell Ultrasharp monitor and I've been very pleased with it, just make sure you video card has the right outputs and can run that resolution at a decent frame rate.

Having all those extra pixels is great for having multiple applications open at once.

D

... just make sure you video card has the right outputs and can run that resolution at a decent frame rate.
I'll second that, from personal experience. New monitor => computer can't handle the resolution => needs new graphics card => no room inside case => new case ..... just make sure you don't go down that rabbit hole.

Having just invested in a new 27 Dell Ultrasharp I can recommend it for photographic use. It cost me a bit more than a 24" but it really make using Lightroom a joy.

I recently bought a 27" 2560*1440 Dell Ultrasharp monitor and I've been very pleased with it, just make sure you video card has the right outputs and can run that resolution at a decent frame rate.

Having all those extra pixels is great for having multiple applications open at once.

D
I'll second that, from personal experience. New monitor => computer can't handle the resolution => needs new graphics card => no room inside case => new case ..... just make sure you don't go down that rabbit hole.
I'm way out of my depth here - my graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti - will that be up to the job ?
Thanks for any help as I'm drowning here !

I'm way out of my depth here - my graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti - will that be up to the job ?
Thanks for any help as I'm drowning here !
Yes, excellent card (I have one) that should have one of every possible connector you could need.

I was running a pair of old 2408WFP's but got to the stage where I couldn't get them to look alike by calibrating. I dipped my toe in the water by replacing one with a new Dell 24" Ultrasharp.....wow!.....ordered the secoond one within a week.

The Dell Ultrasharp 4K monitors are very good, I have a 24" version, if you can afford it I'd go for the 27" though as the extra screen size is nice to have.
I also have a Dell 27" 5K monitor and use the 2 side by side, alas the 27" 5K is no longer available though as it's a lovely monitor (although was very expensive).

Yes, excellent card (I have one) that should have one of every possible connector you could need.
Clearly we are men of taste and knowledge..!
I was running a pair of old 2408WFP's but got to the stage where I couldn't get them to look alike by calibrating. I dipped my toe in the water by replacing one with a new Dell 24" Ultrasharp.....wow!.....ordered the secoond one within a week.
You always were good at getting me to spend money Bob. Hope French life is still good !
The Dell Ultrasharp 4K monitors are very good, I have a 24" version, if you can afford it I'd go for the 27" though as the extra screen size is nice to have.
I also have a Dell 27" 5K monitor and use the 2 side by side, alas the 27" 5K is no longer available though as it's a lovely monitor (although was very expensive).
Seems that it's not just size that matters then Paul..!
Thanks everyone, I'll go looking at prices.

27" is probably the sweet spot for editing photo's as well as general stuff like emails, Web browsing and so on.

I have a dual Dell UP2716D and they are superb, come with calibration sheet, are 100% Adobe RGB, sRGB and Rec709.

as with all Dell pro series they also carry a 3 year on site warranty, although I have yet to use that, never had a piece of bother with them and I am one really fussy person when it comes to gear.

Back