What might need upgrading?

Edit My Images
Yes
My fairly old pc has an i5 3570k chip and 16gb of ram, an ssd and lots of storage on another HD. No graphics card.
If I start needing to process a lot of big (45gb) raw files which bits might be put under pressure - ie what might be the bottleneck?
When I say lots, I don't mean massive numbers, but a new camera always results in renewed enthusiasm!

Not sure if it will help, but my pc is old too, it also has an i5 3570K chip and 16gb ram and the o/s and apps run off an ssd with storage on another hdd (and not a fast one either). I do user a graphics card, albeit a very old one and I suspect there is little to no difference between the intel graphics and my ati card.

I use LR & PS CC to process my files and I use a Nikon D810 and shoot raw @ 14 bits lossless which gives around 38 -45 gb file sizes. I regularly fine tune images in PS (as in blemish removal, skin smoothing, dodging/burning + any effects on portraits, and dodge/burn, stacking, blending + effects on landscapes).

It is a very similar setup used as yours. It works fine and is quick enough, very little lag if any tbh. Would I like it faster? yep of course :D more power is always a good thing ;) Do I need it faster - no, not really.

I suspect it may run into probs if editing videos, but as I don't shoot them then ....

You may be pleasantly surprised how well it does cope (but if you WANT a new pc then of course it will be far too slow :D )

Not sure if it will help, but my pc is old too, it also has an i5 3570K chip and 16gb ram and the o/s and apps run off an ssd with storage on another hdd (and not a fast one either). I do user a graphics card, albeit a very old one and I suspect there is little to no difference between the intel graphics and my ati card.

I use LR & PS CC to process my files and I use a Nikon D810 and shoot raw @ 14 bits lossless which gives around 38 -45 gb file sizes. I regularly fine tune images in PS (as in blemish removal, skin smoothing, dodging/burning + any effects on portraits, and dodge/burn, stacking, blending + effects on landscapes).

It is a very similar setup used as yours. It works fine and is quick enough, very little lag if any tbh. Would I like it faster? yep of course :D more power is always a good thing ;) Do I need it faster - no, not really.

I suspect it may run into probs if editing videos, but as I don't shoot them then ....

You may be pleasantly surprised how well it does cope (but if you WANT a new pc then of course it will be far too slow :D )
A great reply from someone who clearly understands how want and need mean the same thing .. Thanks Paul!
You may well understand too that while I am waiting for the new camera to arrive I'm trying to get prepared - a new pc, or an upgrade can thankfully wait a while. I find of wondered if a graphics card might make a difference but I'll wait and try it out before splashing out any more ...

The only thing I might be temped to do is add a second SSD and put the LR catalogue and cache on that, I did that when I ended up with a spare SSD and it made a difference.
But at this stage suck it and see.

My D850 files are no problem to my i5 Dell XPS with 16GB RAM and SSD.

You might be able to grab an i7 3770k for about £100. That'd give it a bit more poke.

Depends on your motherboard.
Would that make much difference Neil, or should I plan on doing something more serious?
I'm asking as I really have no idea what a newer chip will bring.
Part of me feels that if I were to do anything then I'd be tempted to replace the motherboard, chip and memory and hopefully see a real improvement, but what sort of expense is involved?
I don't know what my motherboard is (I'm out at present ) but know it is a small format one - mini atx and I'd like to keep my case and psu.

Would that make much difference Neil, or should I plan on doing something more serious?
I'm asking as I really have no idea what a newer chip will bring.
Part of me feels that if I were to do anything then I'd be tempted to replace the motherboard, chip and memory and hopefully see a real improvement, but what sort of expense is involved?
I don't know what my motherboard is (I'm out at present ) but know it is a small format one - mini atx and I'd like to keep my case and psu.
The 3770 is a decent chip, you'd be going from the quad core non hyperthreaded i5 (4 cores, 4 threads) to the hyperthreaded i7 (4 cores, 8 threads).

Lightroom loves cpu and SSD and not much ram so ticks all the boxes there, photoshop uses cpu and ram.

Best thing, open task manager during your normal editing process and see what is under high load.

The 3770 is a decent chip, you'd be going from the quad core non hyperthreaded i5 (4 cores, 4 threads) to the hyperthreaded i7 (4 cores, 8 threads).

Lightroom loves cpu and SSD and not much ram so ticks all the boxes there, photoshop uses cpu and ram.

Best thing, open task manager during your normal editing process and see what is under high load.

This is what task manager looks like while doing some basic editing, and the machine is really slow - the mouse seems like it has almost died.
Will a 3770K make enough difference, or do I need to look into a new mobo/cpu and ram ?
I'm really hoping for the former.....

screenshot.jpg

Realistically, hyperthreading will give you about 30% extra at the same clock speed. Your i5 3570 is busy but not maxxed out while editing so, as Neil says, an i7 3770 or 3770k could make enough of a difference. I've been using a 3770 for the last five years and I only have two or three applications that get anywhere near maxxing it out.

Realistically, hyperthreading will give you about 30% extra at the same clock speed. Your i5 3570 is busy but not maxxed out while editing so, as Neil says, an i7 3770 or 3770k could make enough of a difference. I've been using a 3770 for the last five years and I only have two or three applications that get anywhere near maxxing it out.
Thanks for that Jonathan - its very reassuring to hear !
I'll do some looking for a used one..

Try looking at CEX - webuy.com I've just bought an i7 3770 for £95. The good thing about CEX is they offer a 2 year warranty on pretty much everything they sell.

Don't buy a used i7 3770 by itself for £100. I bought a really strong complete PC with that chip for £199 about 6 months back.

I'm sure it was 16gb RAM. You could swap the CPU`s and then for the extra £99 you have two good PC`s and you wont end up with a surplus CPU doing nothing.

OK, a bit of an update.
I have just installed a new version of ACDSee photo studio ultimate 2018, and it seems that this is now heavily dependent on a graphics card for its processing power.
As I don't have a graphics card, just the onboard GPU, this seems to be what is slowing down my processing.
Using the old version, Ultimate 8 is fine.

I have got a used i7 3770k which I am about to install, and guess that if I am to use the new software I need to look into getting a GPU.

So..... Any suggestions ?
As I've never had one I know nothing at all about such things, but my system is a mini itx, and my case is a bitfenix prodigy - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-prodigy-m-matx-cube-case-orange-ca-190-bx.htm so nothing too big.

OK, a bit of an update.
I have just installed a new version of ACDSee photo studio ultimate 2018, and it seems that this is now heavily dependent on a graphics card for its processing power.
As I don't have a graphics card, just the onboard GPU, this seems to be what is slowing down my processing.
Using the old version, Ultimate 8 is fine.

I have got a used i7 3770k which I am about to install, and guess that if I am to use the new software I need to look into getting a GPU.

So..... Any suggestions ?
As I've never had one I know nothing at all about such things, but my system is a mini itx, and my case is a bitfenix prodigy - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-prodigy-m-matx-cube-case-orange-ca-190-bx.htm so nothing too big.

If you remove the HDD trays the maximum length of GPU you can fit is 320mm
If you are using the internal trays you are probably governed by circa 250mm in length.

A GTX 1050Ti would fit in comfortably and can be had for a decent price (relative to current Gpu prices)

Test the on board GPU of the i7 3770k first though as it uses HD4000 rather than HD2500 which is in the i5 and the difference should be noticeable.

Having also looked at the system requirements for acdsee ultimate 2018 it's not wanting anything in the way of a potent card so you could save yourself some dosh.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using the internal trays you are probably governed by circa 250mm in length.

A GTX 1050Ti would fit in comfortably and can be had for a decent price (relative to current Gpu prices)

Test the on board GPU of the i7 3770k first though as it uses HD4000 rather than HD2500 which is in the i5 and the difference should be noticeable.

Having also looked at the system requirements for acdsee ultimate 2018 it's not wanting anything in the way of a potent card so you could save yourself some dosh.
Very many thanks Stuart, your help and wisdom is much appreciated !
One question - would a 2gb GTX 1050Ti be good enough or should I go for a 4gb ?

Last edited:

If he has the core i5 3570K then it uses the HD4000 graphics, not sure about other i5's (I have the 3570K).

Very many thanks Stuart, your help and wisdom is much appreciated !
One question - would a 2gb GTX 1050Ti be good enough or should I go for a 4gb ?
I'd get the 4Gb version - but then I'm good at spending other folks money :)

Back