What mirrorless?

Messages
3,351
Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,

I was a regular on here till covid when I was forced to take a driving job due to no interactions with clients and ended up loving it that much I got my class 1 and have been delighted with my decision ever since.

I sold all my gear Fuji Xt3's and a handful of lenses mostly portrait lenses and I am not looking to buy 1 mirrorless camera and one lens to use solely for capturing my son at motocross events. I have a rough budget of £1500-£2k as I don't want to go daft as I won't use the camera outwith the track.

Any suggestion? I was more than happy with the xt3's so was thinking of going down that route again but so much time has passed I thought I'd ask for suggestions so I'm not researching every camera I can afford.

Thanks in advance.
 
Well, speaking as the owner of an XT3 I wouldn't go down that route. The battery life is very poor. Not really what you want if you are photographing a MotoX event. Plus which the autofocus has moved on in leaps and bounds, and Fujifilm haven't quite caught up yet. So, I would narrow it down to one with good battery life, and better autofocus.
 
Well, speaking as the owner of an XT3 I wouldn't go down that route. The battery life is very poor. Not really what you want if you are photographing a MotoX event. Plus which the autofocus has moved on in leaps and bounds, and Fujifilm haven't quite caught up yet. So, I would narrow it down to one with good battery life, and better autofocus.
Now that you mention it i did have the battery grips on mine. Thanks.
 
I always enjoyed my XT3, and honestly didn't notice much AF improvement when I jumped to X-T5.

If you're looking for better battery and AF, then Sony would fit the bill - Something like an a6700 and a 70-350mm should fit the budget. I don't know what kind of focal lengths you need, but if that's too long you could grab a Tamron 17-70 instead.
 
Welcome back Scott - I remember you from earlier.

Want the fastest AF, looking at Sony or Canon. I'd probably suggest an A7IV and the Sony 70-350, which will cover most of the shooting you'll want to do and be affordable used. If you think you might need to go a bit wider then the Sony 24-105 is a good lens and decently sharp (built in image stabilisation too).
 
Welcome back Scott - I remember you from earlier.

Want the fastest AF, looking at Sony or Canon. I'd probably suggest an A7IV and the Sony 70-350, which will cover most of the shooting you'll want to do and be affordable used. If you think you might need to go a bit wider then the Sony 24-105 is a good lens and decently sharp (built in image stabilisation too).
Thanks mate. I remember a few of the names well I'm seeing yours included. I always shot Canon 5d's 2 and 3's before I moved to Fuji but definitely looking for a bit of length so think a full frame would hinder me this time. I know Olympus had the em1 and 5 back in the day and some seriously sharp lenses like the 75 but 5 or 6 years is a lifetime in technology so not sure if these are even still around. I'll check out the recommendations you've made. Thanks.
 
Back
Top